Default California Residential Code 2010 -14 Significant Code Changes

For the left coast guy & gals:

1. The California Residential Code (CRC) is completely new and is a separate document that applies to 1- and 2-family dwellings up to 3-stories in height, including townhouses up to 3-stories and live/work units complying with Section 419 of the CBC. Dwellings over two stories require a State licensed Architect or Engineer to stamp all plans per CA State Business and Professions Code.

2. Registered Design Professional in Responsible Charge: The CRC covers all structural requirements for "conventional construction" and non-structural aspects of dwelling construction. Non-conventional engineered design must use the CBC and other required structural referenced standards. General Notes and codes references must be revised to CRC code sections.

3. Residential Fire Sprinklers: are now required in all new residential construction. (Sec. R313.2) Residential sprinklers are not required in detached garages (6’ wall to wall separation), or carports which do not have occupied space above. Additions of 1000 sf or over ½ the existing structure trigger sprinklers (Cal-Fire).The sprinkler plans with the water supply or storage amounts must be submitted as a separate permit prior to issuance of the structure permit.

4. Garage wall: - ½" drywall is required between dwelling wall and a garage, Garage ceiling to be 5/8"X if habitable or sleeping rooms are above. (Sec. R302.5 & .6)

5. Exterior wall fire separation distance: In sprinklered dwellings; 0’-3’ requires 1-hour walls with no openings, >3’ no fire protection of walls or openings. Non-sprinklered dwellings; 0’-3’ requires 1-hour walls with no openings, 3’-5’ requires 1-hour walls & 25% openings, >5’ no fire protection of walls or openings. (Sec. R302.1)

6. Natural ventilation (4% of floor area): is not required if mechanical ventilation system is installed (0.35 air change per hour in the room)

7. Natural light: is not required when mechanical ventilation is installed per the above and artificial illumination is provided capable of producing 6footcandles 30" above the floor. (Sec R303.1 – Exception #2)

8. Bathtub/shower compartments: shall have a nonabsorbent surface extending 72" above the floor. (Sec R307.2)

9. Landings: serving the one required egress door (3’x6’-8") shall not be more than 1-1/2 inches lower than the top of the threshold. (Sec 311.3.2) Be aware there are many exceptions.

10, Guards: for all residential dwelling units (inside and outside) are required to be 42 inches in height and fall height is measured vertically to the floor or grade below at any point within 36 inches horizontally to the edge of the open side measured 36" out from the edge. (Sec. R312.2)

11. Carbon Monoxide: alarms are required in new dwellings units, in addition to smoke alarms. (Sec. R315)

12. Vertical Egress: Habitable levels more than 1-story above/below the level of an egress door may not have a point located more than 50’ from an egress stair. (Sec. R311.4)

13. Concrete Strength: The CRC requires 3000 psi concrete in Seismic Design Categories D0, D1 and D2. (Sec. R404.1.2.3.1) Special inspection is not required, just proof of the design mix from the ready-mix company.

14. Truss Drawings: Wood Truss design drawings require specific design and detail information (connections) as well as specific submittal requirements. (Sec. R802.10)

Our new 2010 California Residential Code, effective Jan. 1, 2011 is largely based on the 2009 IRC, but with some strange modifications, at least in my opinion.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jerry McCarthy; 01-19-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    OREP Insurance
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Default Re: California Residential Code 2010 -14 Significant Code Changes

# 12 is interesting. Not too hard to work around for new construction if the stairs are in the middle. If it's a huge house, I could see it necessitating a second stairway or balcony, but they would probably have that already.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    For the left coast guy & gals:

6. Natural ventilation (4% of floor area): is not required if mechanical ventilation system is installed (0.35 air change per hour in the room) and emergency egress in not required (Sec R303.1 - Exception #1)

10, Guards: for all residential dwelling units (inside and outside) are required to be 42 inches in height and fall height is measured vertically to the floor or grade below at any point within 36 inches horizontally to the edge of the open side measured 36" out from the edge. (Sec. R312.2)

Our new 2010 California Residential Code, effective Jan. 1, 2011 is largely based on the 2009 IRC, but with some strange modifications, at least in my opinion.
    Could you provide the language and diagrams please? Is there no exception for guards on open stairways which the top serves as a handrail for any residential occupancy?

There is a habital room which doesn't require egress access in residential?

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Could you provide the language and diagrams please? Is there no exception for guards on open stairways which the top serves as a handrail for any residential occupancy?

Dear HG. If you are really interested I suggest you purchase a copy of the 2010 California Residential Code.

Jerry McCarthy

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Don't have to. You repeated even the same typos from a pdf circulated by a few counties, including the erroneous. Was being subtle so you could correct yourself, oh well, goof away.

I truly don't mean to be disrespectful of a man as brilliant as you claim to be, but I'm having a really hard time deciphering your continuous gibberish? I would also appreciate an answer to my question, as I suspect many others would, who are you really?

PS: Sorry Brian, if I stepped over the line, but this fellow begs any sort of credibility.

Jerry McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post

Interior room with no window but has a door is habital?

Gary

Read Section R303 in the 2009 IRC. If you don't have the 2009 IRC, get one.
    There is no one on this earth who can perform a professional conducted property inspection without being familiar with the building codes. Naturally this will require a code book library.

Jerry McCarthy