Default Needeless tattoo

The reason I'm posting this in the plumbing section is I think that is where I got my tattoo?

Well over 4 months ago I got some silver gray colored pipe dope on the outside of my left ring finger. I was checking for leaks at a vanity sink and when I removed my hand there was this, what I think was, pipe dope on my finger. I didn't think much of it and wiped it off with my towel. Because it is located where it is I didn't notice for quit a while that it appears to be permanent. I'm sure someone on this forum has stuck there hand in this stuff. If you know what it is let me know. I think I can start a pain free tattoo service .

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Needeless tattoo

Try soaking in some Palmolive get that youthful look back into your hands...

Some stuff just need to ware off as you skin is replaced.

Best

Ron

A belt-sander would take that off nicely!

rick

That tattoo is both needleless and needless, but not needeless.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    That tattoo is both needleless and needless, but not needeless.
    OMG! It has caused spellitis .

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    A belt-sander would take that off nicely!

rick
    80 grit seems about right to trim my toenails but not sure for the tattoo?

Talking Re: Needeless tattoo

try some Goof-Off and sand blasting. Then head to the cancer clinic and advise them of the chemicals you just introduced into your body....

You could wait until the spring molting and shed your skin then...

You could also reach in with your other hand so you get a matching set.

Are you going through a *Goth* phase????

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Default Re: Needleless tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    try some Goof-Off and sand blasting. Then head to the cancer clinic and advise them of the chemicals you just introduced into your body....

You could wait until the spring molting and shed your skin then...

You could also reach in with your other hand so you get a matching set.

Are you going through a *Goth* phase????
    Actually tried acetone a couple of months ago but it didn't touch it.

I still think there is a business opportunity here .

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    The reason I'm posting this in the plumbing section is I think that is where I got my tattoo?

Well over 4 months ago I got some silver gray colored pipe dope on the outside of my left ring finger. I was checking for leaks at a vanity sink and when I removed my hand there was this, what I think was, pipe dope on my finger. I didn't think much of it and wiped it off with my towel. Because it is located where it is I didn't notice for quit a while that it appears to be permanent. I'm sure someone on this forum has stuck there hand in this stuff. If you know what it is let me know. I think I can start a pain free tattoo service .
    It's probably silver nitrate, which is used as an anti-microbial in some plumbing applications, particularly water treatment. Not permanent, but the staining will last until your skin sloughs off naturally.

Thanks Corn, I'm not going to die .

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

SWAG -

There are some silver-based ointments and ladden dressings used in wound care (silvasorb - spelling?) and the like, also used in some medical treatments; perhaps someone once had same stored there or a waste basket for spent dressings, and you encountered some old "goo" or "yuck" under the sink.

Another SWAG -

Some amature photography buff improperly and not so carefully stored under the sink, or improperly disposed into the sink (and old pipe leak) or spilled from above or below spent photographic fixer bath or other such chemicals and you were the receipent of inadvertant contact at some point. It wouldn't be the first time someone used a residential bathroom as a photo developing lab, etc.

If you're absolutely certain its not from a deep bruise or a vascular injury (do you wear a ring on this finger), it might not hurt to use an exfoliating sea-salt skin scrub, wash frequently, and use a good hand lotion several times a day to encourage sluffing.

If you have a wrap on the steering wheel or some other place you frequently contact with that portion of your finger or the top nail of the smallest outside finger (is that a stain on the 5th finger nail yellow/brown?) Might not be a bad idea to replace it, as you might be restaining.

Other possibilities for retaining something might be re-staining could be carrying handles (computer case, tool bag, etc.) grips (like golf-club, etc.), or perhaps your keyboard.

IIRC toner powder can stain/activate with heat, IIRC bleach gets that off if alcohol doesn't.

Frankly, I'd be looking at whatever GLOVES you have that you wear - as a potential source retaining staining material which may "reactivate" with contact with moisture, salts, urea, warmth of your finger in same, or the top, inside of your "pinky" finger nail.

Also couldn't hurt to check in with your Doc, and/or a dermotologist to be on the safe side, especially if you see no improvement or have any itching or discomfort in the area (looks kinda red and inflamed at the nail edge).

4 months seems an awfully LONG time to not have seen any reduction or change in the "mark" if you frequently and thourougly wash your hands (including scraping/scrubbing under your nails, your nail beds, and sides of fingers as you do so). If you can't find a source of re-staining, and/or have any discomfort in the area, above or below, I'd really suggest you have your Doc at least take a peak at it.

Might want to treat yourself to a Man's manicure once in a while, and follow-up with some self-care in the interim; the ladies in your life might appreciate it .

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 01-15-2011 at 10:19 AM.

H.G., Little fingernail happened a couple of weeks ago while splitting firewood. It's growing out just fine. I'm not real concerned about the stain, more curious as to what is was and why it has stayed so long.

Aren't all tattoos 'needless'?

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Sure it's a stain? Could be a subcutaneous alien spaceship. Note the aerodynamic shape and the three white dots, 3rd rock from the sun?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Sure it's a stain? Could be a subcutaneous alien spaceship. Note the aerodynamic shape and the three white dots, 3rd rock from the sun?
    You guys are killing me! Do you know how hard it is to look at that part of my finger? I've got a cramp now! Thanks!

Ted Menelly Guest

That appears to be blood under the skin. When you whacked your pinky finger cutting firewood you did not even realize you popped a little capillary on that finger. It will eventually wash away into the blood stream or eventually come to the surface.

Ron Bibler Guest

You guys are killing me! Do you know how hard it is to look at that part of my finger? I've got a cramp now! Thanks!

Keep in a place that has no sunshine for an Hr or so and wiggle it now and then

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Keep in a place that has no sunshine for an Hr or so and wiggle it now and then

Best

Ron
    Well it's even harder to type now!

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

I recommend soaking your finger in cider.

Widdershins Saunders Guest

From the color you describe, that it was still tacky and the staining capacity evident in the photo, I'd say it was probably 'Hercules Pro Dope'.

I used it for gas piping for a short while when it first came out, but switched to another brand.

The stuff is not water soluble and it never hardens -- I had to throw out a newish Carhartt jacket and deep clean the drum of my clothes washer and dryer after brushing up against a NG manifold.

Default Re: Needleless tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by Widdershins Saunders View Post
    From the color you describe, that it was still tacky and the staining capacity evident in the photo, I'd say it was probably 'Hercules Pro Dope'.

I used it for gas piping for a short while when it first came out, but switched to another brand.

The stuff is not water soluble and it never hardens -- I had to throw out a newish Carhartt jacket and deep clean the drum of my clothes washer and dryer after brushing up against a NG manifold.
    Thanks Winddershins; Whatever it is I'm glad it isn't very popular.