Rich Lee Guest

Default Stair tread width, interior freestanding stairway

So I've read the posts about all the variables concerning "stairway" width. They all seem to give answers with respect to distances to adjoining walls.
    I have a free-standing interior stairway -- two handrails with balusters attached to the stairway only, no walls involved at all.
    All the treads are 36 inches wide at the base of the balusters. The balusters are outside the top and bottom rails, which project in maybe 1-1/2 inches on each side, or 3 inches total.
    I saw one response that said "27 inches handrail to handrail" is okay. Does this mean I can cut the treads to 27 inches wide (or 30 inches to account for the rails) in this situation?
    I live in Rhode Island if that matters.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Stair tread width, interior freestanding stairway

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
    So I've read the posts about all the variables concerning "stairway" width. They all seem to give answers with respect to distances to adjoining walls.
    I have a free-standing interior stairway -- two handrails with balusters attached to the stairway only, no walls involved at all.
    All the treads are 36 inches wide at the base of the balusters. The balusters are outside the top and bottom rails, which project in maybe 1-1/2 inches on each side, or 3 inches total.
    I saw one response that said "27 inches handrail to handrail" is okay. Does this mean I can cut the treads to 27 inches wide (or 30 inches to account for the rails) in this situation?
    I live in Rhode Island if that matters.
    Minimum tread width is still 36" you can't have treads 30" wide...

Randy Gordon, construction
    Michigan Building Inspector/Plan Reviewer

Default Re: Stair tread width, interior freestanding stairway

IRC2006_StairwayVisual.pdf

The link that Nolan posted on another thread tells it all.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas