mathew stouffer Guest

Default Fireplace insert

This is a condo built in the late 70's early 80's. What are the chances this has asbestos in the insert.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Fireplace insert

Excellent, but is not asbestos one of the first items disclaimed in your report?
    When we speak of toxic substances, such as asbestos, industrial poisons, electronic microwaves, ambient air (jet aircraft) & highway vehicle noise, and molds of any type/ kind all inspectors should have a generalized disclaimer in their inspection report and those that belong to an association that have a SOP should without fail insert/ attach a copy of those SOPs with every report they issue to their clients.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

mathew stouffer Guest

Disclaimer or not, I would like to know and I am sure the client would.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Don't we need the manufacturer?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Have it tested... it's cheap and easy. A lab around here charges less than $50 if you bring them a sample. People berade us with the question because they're lazy.... and we're easy to ask. And not to talk down to them... I'd probably do the same thing. Once I thought about it, though, I'd realize how silly the question is.

Kind of like the questions, "can I fix that?" or "how much damage is inside the wall?" - they think we have super human powers

Also, you say late 70s - early 80s... there's a big difference there. I usually remember 1980 as the date there is no more asbestos.... it was largely gone by 78/79 but has been found later.

A little word of advice when it comes to testing asbestos.....

You need to check on your individual state requirements and also EPA's national requirements for testing asbestos. Unlike most other things that we stumble across as home inspectors, asbestos testing is highly regulated and rightly so. Homeowners can do their own testing all day long, but when a company or home inspector gets involved the regulations kick in!

Back in November of last year, we had a home inspector in my area get fined $1,500 for testing asbestos for a client when he did not have the proper certs or licenses to do it. Apparently the lab turned him in!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Look in the direction of burned gas residue.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Mat,

This really should be over here:
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...al-inspection/

Lots of good posts with helpful information (and archives link too), including unlisted and stoves; and proper identification.

IIRC Dale is presenting an 8 hr Home Inspectors course in Montana next month...might want to check it out.

Cool Re: Fireplace insert

Is asbestos all you're worried about with this fireplace? I mean, you have a 20+ year old factory built fireplace that is out of warranty and looks like its off the set of Ozzie and Harriett. Probably other more serious issues such as clearances to combustibles, components wearing out, improper operation, etc.

Most gas logs prior to the mid 1990s were made of refractory cements. Asbestos was too friable to make logs out of. However, there was a lot of vermiculite being used back then and some of it, such as Zonolite, did contain some asbestos.

Overall, I would recommend the level II and be done with it.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

A lot of the gas log set-ups use vermiculite under the logs, even in the newer installations. These photos are from a fireplace in a house built in 1986, and I've seen it in houses much younger than this. Does everyone ignore the vermiculite, assume it is manufacturer tested and asbestos free, or do you call it out as an environmentally suspect material, and recommend testing?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images