Thread: Training

Default Training

I am wanting to know of any hands-on or classroom training that anyone would recommend for a new home inspector. I have got my license but after reading lots of posts on this site, I realize I have a ton to learn. Any help would be great.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Training

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
    I am wanting to know of any hands-on or classroom training that anyone would recommend for a new home inspector. I have got my license but after reading lots of posts on this site, I realize I have a ton to learn. Any help would be great.

Look at the banner on this thread about the ASHI schools. Kaplin Schools and many many more around the country I am sure could help you out.

Maybe you should try to find a company to work for for a little while. If you just took a correspondence course I highly suggest a class room. You cannot learn it all from doing an online school. After the classroom you need some field work. You do not want to walk into your first inspection not having the starting clue. It sounds like the background in the field of construction or building science or something to that affect is missing. Your confidence will build over time. I do believe heavily in the classroom because you can get answers from humans in the classroom. But A serious follow up with field work is needed greatly.

Great, thanks a lot. I took my training through the Bellman Group. Did good in the class but just want to be very good at this. I have 10 years in the construction field, but HVAC and Electrical are my weak points. I know bad places to be weak.

E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

Ted Menelly Guest

Great, thanks a lot. I took my training through the Bellman Group. Did good in the class but just want to be very good at this. I have 10 years in the construction field, but HVAC and Electrical are my weak points. I know bad places to be weak.

No problem with electric inspection. Stick your finger in the panel and see if you light up...if you do you know it is working

Seriously, there are quite a few guys on here from Illinois that most likely know the best training in those areas in Illinois. I lived in the Plano and Yorkville area for a couple years. A bit chilliy up there for me. It is not just Chicago that is the windy city. In the country it gets darn windy and cold.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Why is this in the plumbing area? Is that the area you want additional education? You should get the course schedule for credit and non-credit courses at your local junior/community college and the adult education classes through your local highschool district. You should be able to find introductory courses in both HVAC and Electrician/Electrical available. Both trades have classroom work prior to apprentiship. Your local community college is supported via your property tax dollars and the fees less if you reside in the district. Get that spring/summer catalog as soon as possible classes may fill early, or be cancelled if not enough register.

If you wen through Chuck and Corey's class then you should be in good shape with you HI education. Check with the HI orgs in your area to see when their next chapter meetings and education session will be.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Go to bellmangroup.com, Chuck and Corey's website. I am an instructor for them and we offer many areas of classroom and field training.

Patrick McCaffery Guest

Starting out in the Home Inspection Field can be very intimidating. Assuming that you received your training from an accredited school, by a good instructor and have a mechanical and analytical background you should proceed. Rely and follow the training that you received. If you find that you have questions, seek help, either from this web page, from your instructor, from other inspectors or licensed contractors in your area. No one has all the answers and you will find that you will always be learning something new. Good luck.

britney harstine Guest

I did the same thing online classes and I've been learning more by reading this site everyday and going around with a inspector

Quote Originally Posted by britney harstine View Post
    I did the same thing online classes and I've been learning more by reading this site everyday and going around with a inspector
    From your profile pic, I'm guessing Eric is going to have a bit more trouble "going around with an inspector" than you!

Daniel Mosier Guest

Lightbulb Re: Training

This response is for someone who wants to become an inspector, not someone who already has a license. AHIT (American Home Inspectors Training institute) offers free training for active duty military from time to time: You'll have to watch for that opportunity to occur again. My training with AHIT was paid through the local VA Vocational Rehabilitation Office, a benefit for disabled veterans. I received the Double Deluxe package; books, videos, 17-ft Little Giant ladder, combustible gas detector, tool bag, hi-beam flashlight, laser thermometer, electrical outlet tester, electrical sensor, report writing software, 1000 business cards and other advertising items, and enrollment in all in-service classes required for first time license renewal. VA also paid my licensing exam fee through PSI, license application fee with the state (Tennessee), the first year of both general and professional liability insurances (Required for licensing in my state), and reimbursement for travel expenses and lodging when I had to go out of town for the state required in-class training sessions.
    All totaled, VA spent around $8500 getting me into business. If you are a disabled veteran this is a good path to follow to obtain your license. Even if you are not disabled AHIT qualifies for training through current GI Bill.

britney harstine Guest

I'm not sure if you ment That to ne a compliment or offensive

AHIT also has a good Reporting format. Their software is Windows based however they will be shortly releasiing a version designed to work with the IPad. Their technical support is unsurpassed.

Also recommend that you join InterNACHI and take advantage of all of the free education courses they provide.

Eric,
    Congratulations on realizing the need for training. Hard concept for some.
    Strive to do more than SOP of any state or organization. Blend your construction experience into your inspections.

Different web forums will give you an insight into what you may not have seen before and should be looking for in the future. They can be a great learning tool. Like construction seeing what not to do is highly informative especialy if the reasoning is explained.

I will try to send you some pictures of defective installations that you could use to advance your knowledge.

Good luck

I know several people here will hit the roof over this, but join InterNACHI. They have a huge list of classes and almost all of them are free. Just taking the required classes will give you a good start.

Robert Sole
    REM Inspections LLC
    www.REMinspections.com, Orlando, Oviedo

Unhappy Re: Training

Why would people hit the roof over joining InterNACHI? I recently joined and am astonished at the wealth of knowledge they have available to their members. For a dollar a day I get access to every course they offer, A library of legal forms and another forum for discussions. No brainer for me.
    I also went through ITA and AHIT classroom training on the fundamentals of home inspection. I found ITA to be a better approach as they have a different instructor for every subject. Each instructor is an actual active home inspector from the area that has been contracted to teach. AHIT had one instructor that I felt was under qualified to teach. He came from a different region of the country and was not versed on the common deficiencies for my area.
    Remember that whatever training you get is just the basic fundamentals. In the field is where the real training begins and will never end. That's what I love about this industry. It will never become stale. IMHO of course.

britney harstine Guest

I was looking into interNACHI and the membership fee is $365 do you have to pay that in full?

Ya I paid in full. I dont know if they have a pay plan.

Daniel Mosier Guest

Post Re: Training

My post was intended to be informative ONLY; not complimentary or offensive. Many veterans and disabled veterans are simply not aware of some of the benefits they have earned and are available to them, or how to obtain those benefits. I hope my post is read by interested veterans.

Dan,
    I think Britney was referencing Benjamin's post and not yours. I also believe he meant it to be a Compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by britney harstine View Post
    I was looking into interNACHI and the membership fee is $365 do you have to pay that in full?
    I believe it has to be paid in full. However, if things are tight,you could contact Nick at International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI). He may make an exception if you explain things to him. I have found him to be very understanding.

When I joined, they had an agreement with some schools to give you the first year free. I don't know if that still works or not. You may want to contact them and ask.

Keep in mind that with most organizations, the cost of one class would be as much or more than the cost of InetrNACHI membership. Plus you get the benefit of all that training for free. You will also be exposed to a great group of experienced inspectors that will help by answering questions on the message board.

I could join any organization out there but I plan to remain a member of InterNACHI because it provides many benefits that are not available through the others.

Robert Sole
    REM Inspections LLC
    www.REMinspections.com, Orlando, Oviedo

Daniel Mosier Guest

Exclamation Re: Training

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wisnewski View Post
    Dan,
    I think Britney was referencing Benjamin's post and not yours. I also believe he meant it to be a Compliment.
    It was right after my comment. That's why I thought it was meant for me.

britney harstine Guest

I ment that comment to be for Benjamin I'm sorry

britney harstine Guest

Thank you Robert

Eric, Will get to sending picts for you to look at.

Thought about it over the weekend.
    Depending on your depth of knowledge on building practices good and bad along with all the ways that people think of doing something. Look into the Journal of Light Construction. It will add to your knowledge base.

Your original post was about hands-on and classroom training. The hands on is a tough one, you need to find someone that will let you tag/shadow them along with an explanation of what and why they are doing.

Class room is also a little tricky in that it depends on the presenter being informed, upto date and have the ability to communicate effectively. Presentation is one thing teaching is another.

Daniel Mosier Guest

Post Re: Training

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Your original post was about hands-on and classroom training. The hands on is a tough one, you need to find someone that will let you tag/shadow them along with an explanation of what and why they are doing.
    It would be a VERY good idea to check with the licensing agency in your state before you start training. A few states require you to follow a licensed inspector for a specified number of inspections, usually called "parallel" inspections. Some states accept online or correspondence school training: Some require all in-class training. I could continue with more examples but I think you get my message. Good Luck!

Last edited by Daniel Mosier; 09-26-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Adding to what Dan posted, if you are in a Licensing State, check to see if the school is approved by the State for the educational requirements for Stae Licensing. In Florida the school needs to be approved as a provider for the 120 hours required before you can take the licensing exam. AHIT was the first school to be approved by the DBPR here in FL for the educational piece of the pre licensing requirements.

first school to be approved by the DBPR here in FL for the educational piece of the pre licensing requirements.
    InterNACHI is also approved for pre-licensing in Florida.

InterNACHI's courses are also approved for continuing education in Florida.

InterNACHI's Wind Mitigation Inspection course is also approved by both the Florida Department of Business and Profession Regulation (DBPR) and the Florida Construction Industries Licensing Board (CILB). Online (only one approved for online) and free with membership.

Read Florida DBPR Approves InterNACHI's Wind Mitigation course, Pre-Licensing Home Inspector course and continuing education courses. - InterNACHI Scroll down when you get there.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Daniel Mosier Guest

Talking Re: Training

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Mosier View Post
    My training with AHIT was paid through the local VA Vocational Rehabilitation Office, a benefit for disabled veterans.
    I recently received notice from The VA Rehab Office that it will also pay for a Preston's Guide and four Home Inspection Code Check books for plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and 2006 IRC.

VA Rehab also pays a stipend during training. The amount of the stipend depends on the individual's circumstances.

Pass the word to any disabled veterans you know who are interested in home inspection or just looking for a job.