Wynn Teale Guest

Question Sleeping room requirements

I have a one story 1920's Craftsman home. We have large rooms with no closets. We are trying to reconfigure our plan to include one more bathroom. In the plan that we are currently considering, we have an interior room that has two entry doors located on opposite sides of the room and daylight provided from another room by windows 7 1/2 feet above the floor in a third interior wall separating the rooms. does that qualify as a sleeping room under the current International Building Code?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Sleeping room requirements

nope
    .DCA | Construction Codes
    Search sleeping for sleeping rooms requirements.
    *previous link to this section is unavailable.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 01-22-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: new link
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I find no definition of sleeping room or bedroom in the International Residential Code although the term sleeping room is used in several of the sections. I think (and I am sure that others will correct me if I am wrong) that a room is what you call it on the plan but if you call it a bedroom then it must meet all the requirements of a bedroom such as smoke alarms, egress, etc.

Are you under the IRC or IBC?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

"Are you under the IRC or IBC?"

As far as I know, Georgia is working under the IRC.
    All places that I am aware of use 2006 IRC

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Kevin Yandel Guest

Once you start opening walls, moving walls, adding electric or plumbing (or approx 50% new stuff) you will be held to the current code that your municipality has adopted. Once you find out what has been adopted go to the library and find that years code and start reading. if the code is more recent check the IRC not the IBC.

IBC is for commerical space. IRC is for one and two family dwellings up to 4 units. Single family home would fall under the International Resdential Code.

Chapter 3 deals with most of your questions. There is a not a single definition of sleeping room. There are a number of requirments that must be met in a sleeping room. EERO (310.1), Smoke Detector (313.2) , Light Ventilation and Heating (303.1), and minimum square footage (304.3).

For EERO the sleeping room needs to have direct access to the exterior, commonly via a door or window. Passing through other rooms does not count. Sounds like the EERO is the first hurdle. Likely a 1920s home does not have smoke detectors interconnected at all the required locations. Must have natural light equal to 8% of floor area of room.

IRC has no requirements for closets in sleeping rooms. Agents only think about closets. If a room has a closet, it can be considered a bedroom from an agents view.

Based on what you have described, it would not be a sleeping room.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Also check your property maintenance code. and local Zoning ordinances.

Always check your local jurisdictional offices regarding local ammendments/requirements.

Generally, ratio sizes for required spaces are based on maximum occupancy based on sleeping rooms/bedrooms, their size, for related area square footage requirements, such as eating areas and living areas, etc.

Electrical code also addresses. Septic loads also influenanced.

Life Safety Code,

EERO requirements for sleeping rooms. Minimum sq. ft for a single sleeping room for a single occupant - for two persons the sq. ft is greater. Minimum head-room/ceiling height requirement. Provisions for natural light and ventillation are determined based on the sq. ft. switched light source for artifical light; arc fault protection for outlets; snoke/carbon monoxide;etc.

Primary exit path is also required. Sleeping rooms/bedrooms have to have access (for every-day) directly, (not through another room) to main area, hall way, etc. and a path to the primary entrance/exit of the residence. Sleeping rooms can not "communicate" with attached garages or car ports.

Things that may not be allowed in sleeping rooms, open gas-fired water heaters, or other appliances, clothes dryers, wall heaters, some fire places, accessories, wood stoves, etc.

Things that may be required when remodeling, or adding a sleeping room, increasing number and size of windows, upgrading electrical, upgrading plumbing capacities (sewer, septic, potable supply, water heater, etc.), sprinklers/fire protection systems, capacitiy and design of climate control systems (HVAC), Sizes of corresponding common use areas, dining facilities, living/family room areas, PARKING/garage facilities, etc. repurposing areas or moving walls may invoke energy codes, involving insulation, efficiency, fire resistance/separation construction, depending on proximity to lot lines, other structures, and other facilities/use areas. Even shorter structures, often 1920s construction more ballon type or balloon on platform, stopping/blocking fire/smoke. You also may encounter lead-based paint, stains, and other finishes, lead flashing, pipes, solder, asbestos containing materials, and other hazards for which precautions, containment, and proper cleanup and disposal is necessary.

Check with your local building office for codes including zoning, historical districts, planning, etc..

Plans will need to be submitted for review and permitting. If moving walls, changing the floor plan, consult with a licensed architect or engineer. 1920s construction is often "underbuilt" by todays standards, and integrity of what is present should be evaluated before emarking on such a plan.

If the structure has a mixed use occupancy, then IBC may also, even if was previously "just" a single family residence.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 01-23-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Darin Redding Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    IBC is for commerical space. IRC is for one and two family dwellings up to 4 units. Single family home would fall under the International Resdential Code.

Chapter 3 deals with most of your questions. There is a not a single definition of sleeping room. There are a number of requirments that must be met in a sleeping room. EERO (310.1), Smoke Detector (313.2) , Light Ventilation and Heating (303.1), and minimum square footage (304.3).

For EERO the sleeping room needs to have direct access to the exterior, commonly via a door or window. Passing through other rooms does not count. Sounds like the EERO is the first hurdle. Likely a 1920s home does not have smoke detectors interconnected at all the required locations. Must have natural light equal to 8% of floor area of room.

IRC has no requirements for closets in sleeping rooms. Agents only think about closets. If a room has a closet, it can be considered a bedroom from an agents view.

Based on what you have described, it would not be a sleeping room.
    Perfect Bruce. I was looking for some of this verbiage for my reports.