Default Faucet to Electrical outlet (GFI)

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum distance code requirement between a faucet and a GFI protected Electrical outlet. I know the outlet must be GFI if less then 6 ft from a water source. But can the
    GFI outlet be say 3 inches from the water source. The answer may be implied with the 6 ft requirement but I thought I would ask anyway just to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thank in advance
    Albanello

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Bob Spermo Guest

Default Re: Faucet to Electrical outlet (GFI)

Frank,
    While I cannot answer the question as what is too close, the 6 foot rule is for utility room, laundry room and bar sinks not a water source.

He may be alternately thinking about

NEC 210.52(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3ft) of the outside edge of the basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin counter top, or installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the counter top.

I am not aware of a miniumn distance requirement between water and electricity other than the general cautions about hazards over panel installations in the NEC.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Albanello View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum distance code requirement between a faucet and a GFI protected Electrical outlet. I know the outlet must be GFI if less then 6 ft from a water source.

There is no distance from a "water source" (i.e., "faucet"), just 6 feet from the sink (laundry room, wet bar, and the like), which is measured from the edge of the sink (and not from the faucet).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thank you all for your responses.

I was trying to keep the question simple and as a result may have not given enough information.

It is in a Laundry room, the water source is where the washer hoses connect and the electrical source is where the washer and gas dryer connect. The GFI outlet is 3" to the side of the water source.

Thanks again.

albanello

Last edited by Frank Albanello; 01-25-2011 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Add some more clarity, hopefully

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Dedicated space for the electrical system components (floor to ceiling and/or intervening protection) in the wall for wiring method. I'm assuming the wiring, box and receptacle is installed on the other side of a solid stud in the next stud bay, (3" to the other side?) and that access to the box and receptacle can be achieved without plumbing system obstructions in front for maintenance, testing, and use.

Where does the washing machine drain and vent/proximity?

Protection from damage - barriers and correct wiring method for conditions in the wall. Protection from spray, condensation, etc. depending on location, proximity. Those connection hoses may not be present at some point, or fail, and the valves may be less than fully closed.

General overall installation requirements based on location conditions. Subject to spray, dampness, wet, dry locations, deteriorating agents, etc..

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 01-25-2011 at 08:05 AM.

may be describing similar to this but closer and GFCI protected
    this wasn't protected

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

H.G. Watson, Sr
    Water/Drain box similar to what is shown in BARRY ADAIR picture...Stud to the right of Water/Drain box...then GFI protected Electrical outlet to right of stud. The drain and vent are to the left several studs away. The only way the Electrical outlet could get wet is if the washer hose broke OR was not properly connected when water was turned on.

BARRY ADAIR
    Thanks for the picture. I need to start attaching picture when I have a question. I guess that is what they mean when they say a picture is worth a thousand words....we are at about 500 word now.

Thanks to all
    albanello

Just some FYI ---

In the 2011 NEC they eliminated the wording " Laundry, Utility, and Wet Bar Sinks. Now it reads " Sinks - Located in areas other then Kitchens, where receptacles are located within 6' of the outside edge of the sink.

The code is now the same for Dwellings as it is for Other then Dwellings

Another tidbit that is new in the 2011 NEC - The Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter shall be in a readily accessible location.

No more behind the fridge, or on the garage ceiling

Does someone really think that each receptacle now needs dedicated space or that a stud bay cannot be shared between wiring and plumbing? .

Sorry dear, you can't place a couch there. That space is dedicated for the receptacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Albanello View Post
    It is in a Laundry room, the water source is where the washer hoses connect and the electrical source is where the washer and gas dryer connect. The GFI outlet is 3" to the side of the water source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    There is no distance from a "water source" (i.e., "faucet"), just 6 feet from the sink (laundry room, wet bar, and the like), which is measured from the edge of the sink (and not from the faucet).
    Again, your terminology is tripping you up ... forget "water source" ... think "sink".

Is that laundry hook up a "sink"? No.

Think "sink".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Sounds like your all good on the other side of the stud, as long as that GFCI combo receptacle is above the flood rim level of the washing machine and remains readily accessible i.e not behind the washing machine, dryer, storage, etc. Why? so unobstructed ready access to hit that test button monthly, reset when necessary, etc.

Days of hiding it (a gfci combination device such as a GFCI receptacle, switch or a deadront gfci device) behind a major appliance, refrigerator, countertop microwave, storage materials, or yes, the sofa, are behind us.

OK better late then never. Here are the 1000 words (photo)

Based on everything I have read this installation is acceptable.

Thank for everything
    albanello

PS This is all above and behind the washer and drier........have to have access to turn water on and off

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Frank Albanello; 01-25-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added PS

Unless there is a laundry tub in that room within 6' there is no requirement for GFI protection of the receptacle.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Sounds like your all good on the other side of the stud, as long as that GFCI combo receptacle is above the flood rim level of the washing machine and remains readily accessible i.e not behind the washing machine, dryer, storage, etc. Why? so unobstructed ready access to hit that test button monthly, reset when necessary, etc.

Days of hiding it (a gfci combination device such as a GFCI receptacle, switch or a deadront gfci device) behind a major appliance, refrigerator, countertop microwave, storage materials, or yes, the sofa, are behind us.

Where is the part in red written ?
    Please provide the code edition and article number. Not a ton of usless babble just the code, the edition, and article number.

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    Where is the part in red written ?
    Please provide the code edition and article number. Not a ton of usless babble just the code, the edition, and article number.
    And, HG, try not replying in sentence fragments so your sentences are coherent. Did you miss 4th grade grammar class?

Sam Sloane Guest

Sentence fragments happen when we cut and paste and then include our opinions. ..

Jim Port

Thanks for the comment, there will be a laundry tub within 6' of this outlet.

Thanks again
    albanello