Default Heil Furnace Vintage Help

House built in 1945.
    Heil Gas Furnace...most likely not the house's original heating unit though because the house had an abandoned underground oil tank.

Serial# 24781
    Model# DLG4 - 210c
    Manufacture # 836/4067

None of my sources can date this. I called the Heil Distributor and he couldn't date it...he said it's got to be before 1975.

This furnace was a monster...4.5' tall...3' wide...5'+ deep...looked and working well though.

Anybody help with an approximate date ?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Heil Furnace Vintage Help

robert

if heil couldn't date it--it is old--seems to be working ok. that is a reach. let an hvac tech decide. but if it was my house. it's going for a high efff unit.

cvf

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

No help on the date except to agree with Chas, its old.

Heil(Quaker) DLG4-210-C Gas Fired Sectional Furnace

Found the user manual and parts catalog on the hammerwall.

Here it is attached pdf file.

Note typed (and handwritten corrections at the end) to part numbers.

HTH.

Attached Files Attached Files

The only Heil info I can come up with calls for a letter followed by a 9 digit number

Heil A letter followed by a 9-digit number. The second and third letter represent the year,
    the fourth and fifth numbers represent the week. There may be a date stamp to the right of
    the serial number.
    Sample
    Serial Number: R883512345 Date of Mfg: 09/88
    Any chance there is a different grouping of the numbers?
    Got a picture of the data plate?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

H.G. Thanks for the PDF

Jim...No...I don't have a picture. On these vintage units with the black data plates that have the numbers stamped in the silver areas I have taken to writing the numbers down because the pics seem to frequently have reflections that make things less than legible back at the computer.

I see alot of Heil Equipment and was real surprised by this number so I really gave the data plate a good looking over....and that is also why I called the distributor.

Thanks for the replies.

Carson Dunlop refers to International Gas Products for Heil furnaces. I called IGP but the tech there couldn't date it either, with the posted data. Apparently, their records only go to 1972.

Is that galvanized pipe? Looks like it or someone painted black pipe with aluminum paint. Did you mention having the abandoned buried fuel oil tank checked for leakage and possible soil contamination?

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Thanks for trying Stuart.

yes, that is galv. pipe.

yes, I did call out the tanks and recommend evaluation. I actually called the local environmental consultant who also does my radon testing...he had already been contacted by the clients...this is/was a sellers inspection.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

You're welcome for the operation instructions/parts catalog.The hammerwall has all kinds of goodies there.Color choice and stylized info likely puts this pre-whirlpool which would equal pre 72. Not really worth discussing age, its long past its poorly-efficient life. from back in the days when energy was cheap.

Those old stamped date plates read easier if you wipe them off, rub a dry erase marker on them to fill in the stamped areas then wipe the flat surface. Photograph better that way too. Then a moist rag will lift off even what settled in the stamped area. Some spit and dust/dirt will do the same thing.