Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: "Holmes" Inspection

Since I don't have cable I hadn't seen an episode until last week when my curiosity got the best of me. Since then I've watched about 12 episodes on youtube. I've got to say I agree with him...most of the time. The inspectors appear to have missed basic things.

However, his findings must be taken with a grain of salt since we aren't privy to the inspection report and really have no idea how long it has been since the inspection. What I have noticed on a few episodes is that the inspection appeared to have been performed over a year prior to Holmes getting involved. A lot of things can change in a home over a year.

I also noticed that in nearly every episode Holmes asks the homeowner if they followed the inspectors advice on some of the items in the report. Not once has the homeowner followed the advice of the inspector. Heck, in one episode the clients were complaining that the roof was leaking. Holmes stated that the inspector said they needed a new roof over a year and a half ago. But the homeowners never had it replaced.

Honestly, I think the show is good for home buyers and home inspectors. I think many inspectors can learn something from watching. I also think that Holmes pretty evenly criticizes both the inspector and the homeowner.

I also like the fact that Holmes himself misses things on his "inspection" and only finds the issues after they've torn the home apart. One episode showed a leak from an upper bathtub. They could see the stain on the ceiling below, cut a hole in the ceiling, cut an access in the wall at the tub fixtures, had two plumbers there for 6 hours looking for the leak before anyone noticed the hole in the bottom of the bathtub.

I also notice that some of his contractors do things that aren't acceptable in the US. Like bonding the CSST gas tubing they are constantly using.

Crawl Space Creeper
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Peake View Post
    Maybe it would be helpful if Big Mike explained to the viewing audience that home inspectors follow Standards of Practice.

Hey, some of the stuff he catches looks like "the inspector missed it", but some of what he blames on the inspector is absurd.
    Ditto...

Mitchell Meeks Guest

I look at both of his shows from time to time. Unfortunately, I see some of things that he shows all the time. Most of my clients do not have money to fix these things.

While I appreciate shows like Home Makeover where Ty Pennington rebuilds a new for someone who it down in the dumps or suddenly has a disability rendering the house really unusable, the work is paid for by others. When you have an unlimited budget and you need to make things more dramatic, have at it. But at the same time think about all of the other homeowners that they cannot help. They will then start bashing contractors and home inspectors alike.

It is kind of like suing and bashing the Doctors who deliver babies. Their insurance goes up. They finally just quit doing it because of the cost and constant bashing. Then who wins?

Ken we bond csst in NC.

I like the guy but he is all ready privy to the issues before he gets there and he can spend unlimited time there inspecting the home. I am quite surprise no Canadian home inspector association steps up and say something.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Cool Re: "Holmes" Inspection

Excellent point Greg, I am a former Real Estate agent and you should hear some of the crap they (the veteran Realtors) were trying to train me to do: example take client to a house 20K to 40k above what they were asking to see. Line I was being trained to give them, such as "You will be making more money next year your so you will be able to make the payment much easier by next year, you will be generating more income right?". This is the type training a new agent receives, remember this is training that a Broker will not admit to the general public. Yes Greg lets talk about the crap that Realtors and Loan Officers pull on the unsuspecting public. Ask and I will answer.

Guy W Opie Guest

Ken and Mike

All CSST mfg require that their product be bonded. Trac pipe CounrtStrike does not need to bonded according to thier cut sheet.

I have been watching Holmes for some time now. I think he got enough complaints from inspectors that he has changed his approach slightly in his most recent shows. He now differentiates more between what an inspector following standards should have seen and what he can find with invasive inspection. He owns an inspection company in Canada, so he should have known better from the start. mikeholmesinspections dot com. Still, he's entertaining when he visibly misses stuff now and then.

Mike subcontracts the inspections out. The fee charged is split between Holmes and the inspector.

Inspector must have $5 million E&O, use the Holmes contract, use Horizon report system, have IR camera.

Inspector does not have luxury of speaking to clients prior to inspection.

If things go wrong the inspector is on his own.

I don't understand any inspector who would be willing to prostitute himself for all the liability and cost then only get half the fee. Some inspectors must be hard up.

Ferrisr Guest

Inspectors are not hard up, customers love a brand and Holmes is a big brand. Customers are also paying a premium for it. Mikes costs are listed below.

Essential Package [+]
    The Essential Inspection includes a thorough visual investigation of the home's readily accessible features, major systems and their components such as: structure, foundation, roof, interior, exterior, heating and ventilation system, electrical, plumbing and more.

PRICING:
    Homes Constructed 1955 & Later

SQ FT PRICE
    High-rise condominium unit 1,000 $395
    Single-family home 2,500 $595
    Additional square footage
    (per 1,000 sq ft. or portion thereof) 1,000 $100

Homes Constructed 1954 & Earlier
    SQ FT PRICE
    High-rise condominium unit 1,000 $495
    Single-family home 2,500 $715
    Additional square footage
    (per 1,000 sq ft. or portion thereof) 1,000 $125

Clientele may like the Holmes inspection, the inspector is still only getting half the fee.

Why work for half the cost when inspector could charge more and keep all of it? And not have to put his neck on the line for Mike?

Check around the net, not all clients are happy with Holmes inspectors.

Mike was adamant he was going to rewrite industry standards, when I queried him on this on a radio call in show he got testy and could not answer how his standards would pass the litmus test in the courts as ASHI SOP have. Secondly no E&O provider will insure any inspector who is not operating to a proven standard, let alone Mikes supposed higher standard inspection.

As of this point in time he has not written any standards and his inspectors are using ASHI SOP.

Fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Ken we bond csst in NC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy W Opie View Post
    Ken and Mike

All CSST mfg require that their product be bonded. Trac pipe CounrtStrike does not need to bonded according to thier cut sheet.
    My point is, on his show they are not bonding the CSST. I just didn't make it very clear.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Mark Howe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bartels View Post
    Just looked at his rates for the "Holmes inspection". I like it! Maybe if we can convince the general public to pay more for inspections the industry can start spending more time on each site. This would reduce the missed items for sure. For almost a grand on a 2500 sq ft home, you better not miss a thing.
    I spend as much time on site as it takes. Missing items due to being in hurry is just another form of negligence. No way charging more would reduce mistakes. We all miss things, but if you miss them because you have to hurry to the next inspection, it's not really 'mistake', is it?

Mark Howe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bartels View Post
    Just looked at his rates for the "Holmes inspection". I like it! Maybe if we can convince the general public to pay more for inspections the industry can start spending more time on each site. This would reduce the missed items for sure. For almost a grand on a 2500 sq ft home, you better not miss a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Udelhoven View Post
    I wasn't referring to his bashing inspectors; I was referring to the education the general viewer might obtain by watching his show.

I don't believe in bashing anyone; however, if we don't do our job to a specified standard then maybe we all need to be admonished a bit for it.

I don't know how much money he makes on his shows. Does anyone on this thread know?
    Misinformation and false expectations are not effective educational tools IMO. And no one knows what the inspector really reported, we have to take the word of a dbag who can't even dress himself. Gold chains and wife beaters? Really? Fortunately for Mike, cartoons don't have to reasonable or consistent.

britney harstine Guest

i actually just saw this and set it in my DVR for sunday ill have to see what everyone is talking about

britney harstine Guest

just watched it and its interesting it is informative but i dont like how he makes the HI look bad the episode i saw they were looking at a 120 yr old triplex with major issur the beam was completely rotted out but what i didnt like what the lady was crying cause they found a gaping hole in the foundation wall which was covered up with bricks and from what ive learned your not suppose to move things so it wasnt the HI fault

Quote Originally Posted by britney harstine View Post
    from what ive learned your not suppose to move things so it wasnt the HI fault
    There is nothing which says the home inspector is *not supposed to move things*, just that the home inspector is *not required to move things*, and there is a lot of difference between *not supposed to* and *not required to*.

Also, IF the home inspector moves things, something might break, something which the home inspector may become liable for. Likewise, IF the home inspector does not move "anything*, not even easy things, then the home inspector may become liable for *not* moving that thing.

It is a comfort zone level which every home inspector needs to establish for themselves, you move things, you don't move things, or you move easy to move things, or you move some things some of the time.

No single choice will be liability free.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12