Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry "Holmes" Inspection

Watched my first episode of "Holmes Inspection" last night. REALLY? First it was House Detectives....now this crap to give us real Home Inspectors a bad name.....how about a show depicting the Realtors and Mortgage lenders putting people in homes they KNOW they can never afford....all of which got this industry in the mess it is in NOW!

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: "Holmes" Inspection

I watched the show a couple of times too. It's does give folks the wrong idea about what a home inspection is.

i would say that some of the home inspectors deserve the "incompetant" label based on some of his shows! some contractors and jurisdictional inspectors likewise. i have seen him make code violations on his shows as well, it is just entertainment, you watched it

and because it is just "entertainment" I don't doubt that some of it is fabricated to enhance the show. In fact, that house may not have even had an inspection.

This is bad for our business. There is enough bad perception about HI. The last thing we need is him making people think a real HI is what he does. The rest of us are just screwing around.
    I remember back when Bob and this old house came on. Man I wanted to run him over with a cement truck. I actually had clients ask me how X job could take a week, when Bob and his crew could do it in a day.
    Different business, same misperception issue though.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

markus,
    i agree with you. mike holmes is one arrogant self righteous sob. his show is just that, a show. we have the freedom not to watch, but like a moth flying into a flame we do. i don't appreciate his slams on people especially when he gives the impression that he is the only one capable of doing inspections and work to code. i chose to quit watching the sideshow.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Unfortunately, the general public loves Holmes.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Unfortunately, the general public loves Holmes.
    That's right. No amount of griping here will change the public's perception. His inspector franchise is spreading westward from Toronto. Word is, some of his inspectors are missing stuff. They'll get better, and the Holmes company can handle it.

My strategy is to simply be better than all of that. "If you want your house to be on Big Mike's TV show, don't hire me for your inspection".

Last edited by John Kogel; 01-31-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I repeat, from a previous Mike Holmes thread, use his show to your advantage. People love the show and they like to hear I like it too. The intelligent client realizes the real world does not operate carte blanche. Had one today.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

I love the show - it's great entertainment! Mike Holmes discovers issues with houses that inspectors should have seen and should have reported. Because it's TV he does embellish a bit where little things become big deals, but that's entertainment. And it's real life!

Hopefully the show educates inspectors, along with buyers!

Fred Comb, ACI
    Mahtomedi, MN
    www.homeinspectionsofmn.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Comb View Post
    I love the show - it's great entertainment! Mike Holmes discovers issues with houses that inspectors should have seen and should have reported. Because it's TV he does embellish a bit where little things become big deals, but that's entertainment. And it's real life!

Hopefully the show educates inspectors, along with buyers!
    You must be watching a different show than I am. A home owner calls and says we are having a specific problem with our house. Will you please come confirm the problem and fix it for free? Mike arrives and looks at the specific problem the homeowner points out. He waves around his thermal imaging camera and then dismantles part of the house to confirm that there is a problem where the previous home inspection report said there was a problem, the home owner said there was a problem and his own investigation indicated there was a problem. Mike leaves and his construction army demolishs great chunks of the home, and then rebuilds it meeting Mike and his advertisers sense of what is good.

The first show, Mike said the home inspector reported the issue. The govt expert came in and said yes it is abestos but not a problem. The asbestoes was not friable and was completely sealed behind finish materials. The silly homeowner could have spent 10 minutes on the web and found out that they did not have a problem.

The next show there was an addition over a crawlspace with no access. The home inspector did not have access to the crawlspace to inspect. Only after Mike cut a 6 ft x 6ft hole in the floor of the kitchen did he find no vapor barrier. Then he dug out a crawlspace because he wanted to pour a concrete floor in the crawlspace with no access! $50 of sheet plastic would have been just as effective!

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    You must be watching a different show than I am. A home owner calls and says we are having a specific problem with our house. Will you please come confirm the problem and fix it for free? Mike arrives and looks at the specific problem the homeowner points out. He waves around his thermal imaging camera and then dismantles part of the house to confirm that there is a problem where the previous home inspection report said there was a problem, the home owner said there was a problem and his own investigation indicated there was a problem. Mike leaves and his construction army demolishs great chunks of the home, and then rebuilds it meeting Mike and his advertisers sense of what is good.

The first show, Mike said the home inspector reported the issue. The govt expert came in and said yes it is abestos but not a problem. The asbestoes was not friable and was completely sealed behind finish materials. The silly homeowner could have spent 10 minutes on the web and found out that they did not have a problem.

The next show there was an addition over a crawlspace with no access. The home inspector did not have access to the crawlspace to inspect. Only after Mike cut a 6 ft x 6ft hole in the floor of the kitchen did he find no vapor barrier. Then he dug out a crawlspace because he wanted to pour a concrete floor in the crawlspace with no access! $50 of sheet plastic would have been just as effective!
    I think that is the problem with the program. He doesn't say, "It would cost $XX,XXX dollars to open up this area like we did and just put it back like we found it without doing anything else." I think in most of the programs, if people had to pay the cost of what he did, they would have closed the door on his butt as they pushed him out on the first quote. Yep, the open wallet concept would be nice but it isn't real world. I have to add that the primary message is that if contractors did their job right in the first place, he wouldn't have a show. He also blasts the building codes and the concept of "build to code". I agree with that. I would like to limit "code interpretations" the AHJ in the field can make to modify code at will. I have seen both sides of that issue, contractors required to do the most stupid things just to make an inspector happy and on the other side, the inspector tossing out a section of code.

Last edited by Stuart Brooks; 02-03-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Reworded
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Wasn't "Big Mike" the keynote speaker at the Las Vegas inspection expo recently? WHY would we pay a guy to speak who so recklessly badmouths the home inspection industry.

He really needs to tone it down with some of the "the inspector missed this". I saw the show where the asbestos pipe covering was visible behind a gap at a finished wall. His BS rant was disgusting. The inspector DID mention it in his report but that wasn't obvious to the viewer. I played that part back a couple of times 'till I caught it. Of course, the homeowner wouldn't go in the basement 'till it was completely destroyed/rebuilt in the process of dealing with the asbestos monster.

That being said, he does frequently identify items that the inspector should have mentioned. Would be nice to see him take a typical inspection report and go through the home and show the Client that he could have avoided a lot of cost if he'd simply read the report for which he paid.

Yes, I watch his shows religiously because he has a lot of knowledge and I've learned from him despite his disrespectful and inaccurate rants.

"the relentless pursuit of perfection"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    This is bad for our business. There is enough bad perception about HI. The last thing we need is him making people think a real HI is what he does. The rest of us are just screwing around.
    I remember back when Bob and this old house came on. Man I wanted to run him over with a cement truck. I actually had clients ask me how X job could take a week, when Bob and his crew could do it in a day.
    Different business, same misperception issue though.

Gilligan's Island was bad for 3 hr boat tours also.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Brillliant commentary! A dose of realism. Loved it, thanks!

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

The best part is he never mentions:
    1. That most of the need to fix items in a HI report are used to negoiate a "better deal". He would find so much wrong that no one would let him in a house. Can you imagine the look on a seller's face when Mike Holmes comes to inspect your house that has recently been put on the market.
    2. Picking people with unlimited budgets to fix everything in a house is my choice of HI. Can he inspect my house for me??????
    3. Being able to edit the video after the fact (the buyer has taken possesion) has to be what every HI dreams of. If it is my program we would never miss anything after I call in all the experts and they rip the walls out.
    4. I watch the program to see what it would be like in Mike's world. My hat is off to him. I also used to watch Gilligan's Island. OK, it's over back to work.

Sam Sloane Guest

Mike Holmes represents Everyman. This is what he wants the public to believe. That he is the Advocater for the underdog. For the housewife who is being screwed over. He wears farmer's overalls and carries a sledge hammer. Ready to smash through the work of the unscrupulous contractor or the "mistakes" of the home inspector.

That's the image he portrays and it is this that makes the hard working Home Inspector look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sloane View Post
    That's the image he portrays and it is this that makes the hard working Home Inspector look bad.
    Actually, he's making the lazy incompetents look bad. We need to be clear about that. They sift thru hundreds of houses to find the ones that fit their criteria for putting on a good show.
    A knowledgeable and diligent home inspector should have no problem finding those major defects that send the home buyers running to Big Mike.

www.allsafehome.ca

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Actually, he's making the lazy incompetents look bad. We need to be clear about that. They sift thru hundreds of houses to find the ones that fit their criteria for putting on a good show.
    A knowledgeable and diligent home inspector should have no problem finding those major defects that send the home buyers running to Big Mike.
    Are you Mike's brother.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Are you Mike's brother.
    No, I'm his guru.

www.allsafehome.ca

He's creating awareness of the need for buyers to hire a competent inspector.

Has he produced a show inspecting new construction?

Sam Sloane Guest

Mike Holmes has this to say about Home Inspectors on his website, "Make It Right":

"As for the home inspector,” Mr. Holmes goes so far as to say, “it’s a two-week course — you could have worked at McDonald’s.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Spinnler View Post
    He's creating awareness of the need for buyers to hire a competent inspector.

Has he produced a show inspecting new construction?
    A pre-drywall inspection. Now that would be a good one. The trouble is finding a builder that would allow him on the property.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

I find it interesting that Mikes tool belt looks new. He says that he works, but does he? I have aprons and pouches that I have been using for decades. Carpenters tend to get a setup and keep it since like a pair of old slippers which form to fit you and how you work.

Have had a guys getting to the trades (newbe) offer to buy my pouches so that he would not look like he just started yesterday and might get a little slack from the people he was going to be working with at a new job/company. Also they new that my set-up worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    A pre-drywall inspection. Now that would be a good one. The trouble is finding a builder that would allow him on the property.
    I'm quite certain that many "professional" builders would indeed let him on their property. Many would even pay him to evaluate their homes.

Fred Comb, ACI
    Mahtomedi, MN
    www.homeinspectionsofmn.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Comb View Post
    I'm quite certain that many "professional" builders would indeed let him on their property. Many would even pay him to evaluate their homes.
    Hey I'm not to proud to get a kitchen or a bath out of him or maybe a new addition out of him. Would not have a problem having him on the job site. Would be a hoot. But then my ego isn't to big.

Ted Williams Guest

Haven't seen his new show yet but I watched a few of his Holmes on Homes episodes online yesterday. Have to say I enjoyed the show, though I'm fairly certain I wouldn't if I was one of their neighbors..

This is what they have on HGTV site;
    We need to protest
    About This Show

Holmes Inspection shines a spotlight on homeowners facing massive repair bills and dangerous living conditions due to incompetence within the unregulated home inspection industry. Each show offers a unique dilemma faced by house purchasers who, misled by a vague or evasive home inspection, now face a daunting renovation or potential health threat. Disillusioned and now distrusting, they call in Mike Holmes, from Holmes on Homes, who gives his personal Holmes Inspection and makes it right.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

I have watched Holmes show a few times and find it entertaining.
    Keeping in mind it is filmed largely in Canada and his experience falls under that arena, the show is done well. Has he said things that were not completely accurate…of course; has he said things that could have been stated better…of course. Think about it, if someone examined everything you said or did the way his actions are being reviewed what would be the result? It would be easy to follow 99.99% of any trades person or inspector and find other issues. There are times he states things that make me cringe but most of the time he qualifies his statements enough (I also have cringed when watching any of the home improvement shows for similar reasons). We are disusing TV shows; they cannot show all the necessary information, they would be too boring! As far as his comments about unregulated inspectors, he is specifically discussing Canada (he has said similar things about contractors). One thing he has not done a good job on is clarifying that there are standards in some states and some municipalities and that homeowners should be aware of those requirements and check out their inspector the same way they would with any other person they hire.

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

First of all, Mike Holmes is another builder, contractor, inspector complaining about the 'competition'...that's old news. The show is clearly informative, no doubt about that. My issue with his show is...we never see the inspection report they're complaining about. I've had clients tell me that a problem they've encountered was not in the report...when it's clearly on the summary page and the 'system' page along with photos. Further, as a pet peeve, I'm weary of his feigned disgust for defects when..THAT'S THE NORM! Are any of us surprised at what we find? Why is he? Especially as a professional who's seen the same defects over and over? I've seen him open switch boxes to trace wiring and then claim '..the inspector should have seen this.." So I don't know if he means the city inspector or home inspector--which must confuse the viewers. I just saw an ASHI membership announcement for one of Mike Holmes employees..so if it's 'just a two week class' why is he not touting the strong continuing education provided by our industry?

Just looked at his rates for the "Holmes inspection". I like it! Maybe if we can convince the general public to pay more for inspections the industry can start spending more time on each site. This would reduce the missed items for sure. For almost a grand on a 2500 sq ft home, you better not miss a thing.

Dan Richard Guest

Question Re: "Holmes" Inspection

Anyways, because of the show, and now his magazine, the general public interperates that the Home Inspector is providing a 'Guarantee or Warranty', in which we all know, Inspectors don't provide. I have never heard or read that they mention this. Too bad the credits roll too fast to really see if this is mentioned. Now that being said, he's keeping inspectors honest, and giving us great entertainment, but inspectors cannot perform the repairs, as he does. This represents a conflict of interest and breech of trust. Imagine the insurance premiums too... Do they even understand the Codes of Ethics?

Darrell Udelhoven Guest

Arrow Re: "Holmes" Inspection

I watch his shows for the HVAC problems they find.

However, when it comes to airflow it would appear they are reading velocity in feet-per-minute & not cubic feet per minute of air volume being delivered to the room.

He needs a HVAC Tech that will explain things in detail.
    The HVAC Tech messed up big-time when he changed condensing units.

Correct Sizing of Residential Air Conditioning Systems and Ductwork Systems - TEL ASP FR ESP

Heating is the biggest factor in Canada.

The home's HVAC system is very important, & can save on energy costs or waste it.

A/C knowledge is lacking on his programs.

Hi, ALL &

GREAT commentary !

I have to agree with a number of various comments & also find it both 'interesting' and entertaining...

Big Mike is certainly not 'perfect' or always accurate & I've caught /called him on a number of issues I've seen.

I've even thought I wouldn't mind a debate, some time...

If nothing else, I find it 'reminds' me sometimes /keeps me sharp & as John K. has mentioned, it can be good for the ego (although mine is also not over-sized), when he exposes truly poor work (there is still lots out there) !

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

I repeat, from a previous Mike Holmes thread, use his show to your advantage. People love the show and they like to hear I like it too. The intelligent client realizes the real world does not operate carte blanche. Had one today.

GREAT advice! I am sure that I got the design work for the remodel of an old town mansion turned private college becasue I hit it off with the college president talking about how cool "This Old House" was back in the Bob Villa days.

David Crawford Guest

I enjoy Holmes' shows. Yes, he gives the HI bussiness a bad name. But as a "victim" of a lousy inspection, I can understand his anger about certain obvious violations. I had a (required) inspection in NC that missed alot of obvious problems. But they were not deal breakers. I am a capable handyman, and fixed all the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by David Crawford View Post
    I had a (required) inspection in NC that missed alot of obvious problems.
    Who or what entity required your home inspection in NC?

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

David,

Would you like to elborate on these "obvious" probelms you found. I thought not

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

David Crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Who or what entity required your home inspection in NC?
    The Veterans Administration. I needed it to get the VA loan.

David Crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    David,

Would you like to elborate on these "obvious" probelms you found. I thought not
    Actually I will:
    1. In the crawl space the HVAC main trunk was in contact with the dirt floor. Also the evaporator drain was clogged and caused the water to leak down to the bottom of the main trunk. The insulation that covered the main trunk was sagging to the ground. Lots of mold blowing through the ducts. I was really sick for awhile. Until I found it and fixed it.

2. Both bathroom toilets had wax rings that failed and ruined the sub floors beneath them. From in the crawl space you could look up and see the damage. I tore both floors up to repair.

3. The deck on the back of the house was not properly attached to the structure. It was attached with Tapcon screws, and not very many at that. I attached it with lag screws to the rim joist.

3. The electrical panel was over loaded, and lines running in not properly stapled at the entry point. I had it replaced with a 100 AMP panel.

These were the things I found after moving in, and found them fairly fast.
    I believe the inspector just rushed through and wrote some comments to make me feel he looked harder than he actually did. This was my first house, so I learned the hard way. My current house(3rd one), I inspected myself. Been here 2yrs & no surprises ...... yet!

The Veterans Administration. I needed it to get the VA loan.
    You must have this confused with the VA appraisal. The VA does not require an independent home inspection, but their appraisal is often called an inspection because it is more involved than a normal appraisal. Very similar to an FHA appraisal/inspection they have similar guidelines.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

And the VA inspection is a very different protocol from a "home inspection" as defined in most state SOPs.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

David Crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    You must have this confused with the VA appraisal. The VA does not require an independent home inspection, but their appraisal is often called an inspection because it is more involved than a normal appraisal. Very similar to an FHA appraisal/inspection they have similar guidelines.
    You're most likely correct. It was years ago. But my HI was poorly performed and I paid for his PPP. Lesson learned. Holmes has taught me a thing or two still.

You're most likely correct. It was years ago. But my HI was poorly performed and I paid for his PPP. Lesson learned. Holmes has taught me a thing or two still.
    You're not getting it. Your VA appraisal was not a home inspection.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

David Crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    You're not getting it. Your VA appraisal was not a home inspection.
    No I got it. I understand the difference.
    I had an independent home inspection. I had the report in a binder, which was done by AmeriSpec of Hope Mills, NC. It had the brief report and also some tips on home maintenance.
    What I admit possibly being wrong is if it was required. I do remember having an inspection that was required before the VA would approve my loan. I thought that may have been the HI. As I posted earlier, the report was lacking some obvious code violations, and I ended up paying to fix them. I could have used that info BEFORE making an offer. That's what I like about Holme's show. He points out obvious violations, and we all learn a little.

David,
    HI reports, in general, do not specifically address "code violations" by name; however, we do make recommendations that may be "code based". It's a fine line. Further, the object of a HI is NOT to bring an existing home up to today's code, rather, to identify "material defects" - see SOP for a definition. For example, in a home built in 1920, we would not expect to see pressure treated sill plates, nor would we recommend upgrading to same.

This is where Holmes frequently misleads people. He uncovers legitimate issues, many of which far exceed the Standards of Practice (SOP), but fails to clearly inform the public of the "SOP" applicable to a home inspection. He also does correctly identify issues that, based on the information presented, "the home inspector should have caught".

HI reports follow national standards, such as ASHI, NAHI etc. and they're all remarkably similar. They are also "visual" and "limited".

Google "ASHI Standards of Practice" to see what a HI to ASHI Standards includes and DOES NOT INCLUDE.

Maybe you got the short end of the stick, maybe you did not. Would need a lot more info to make an informed decision on that one.

In summary, home inspectors are "generalists", mostly knowledgeable in all areas, but not necessarily "expert" in all areas. A home inspection is "visual", not "destructive". You can purchase a home inspection that is compliant with national standards on a typical home for $400+/-, OR you can purchase a "holmes inspection" for what clearly should cost many thousands of dollars. Two very different things. Personally, I'd gladly have Mike Holmes and his team (apparently, each expert in his field and each carrying and using demolition tools) come have a look around for a day or so if I were buying a home, but the cost would be prohibitive. Hey, maybe there IS a market for that .... hmmmm. A HI is the 80/20 rule in action, you can get 80% of the bang for 20% of the buck.
    Joe

David Crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Peake View Post
    David,
    HI reports, in general, do not specifically address "code violations" by name; however, we do make recommendations that may be "code based". It's a fine line. Further, the object of a HI is NOT to bring an existing home up to today's code, rather, to identify "material defects" - see SOP for a definition. For example, in a home built in 1920, we would not expect to see pressure treated sill plates, nor would we recommend upgrading to same.

This is where Holmes frequently misleads people. He uncovers legitimate issues, many of which far exceed the Standards of Practice (SOP), but fails to clearly inform the public of the "SOP" applicable to a home inspection. He also does correctly identify issues that, based on the information presented, "the home inspector should have caught".

HI reports follow national standards, such as ASHI, NAHI etc. and they're all remarkably similar. They are also "visual" and "limited".

Google "ASHI Standards of Practice" to see what a HI to ASHI Standards includes and DOES NOT INCLUDE.

Maybe you got the short end of the stick, maybe you did not. Would need a lot more info to make an informed decision on that one.

In summary, home inspectors are "generalists", mostly knowledgeable in all areas, but not necessarily "expert" in all areas. A home inspection is "visual", not "destructive". You can purchase a home inspection that is compliant with national standards on a typical home for $400+/-, OR you can purchase a "holmes inspection" for what clearly should cost many thousands of dollars. Two very different things. Personally, I'd gladly have Mike Holmes and his team (apparently, each expert in his field and each carrying and using demolition tools) come have a look around for a day or so if I were buying a home, but the cost would be prohibitive. Hey, maybe there IS a market for that .... hmmmm. A HI is the 80/20 rule in action, you can get 80% of the bang for 20% of the buck.
    Joe
    I did get the sh__ end of the stick. The problems I stated in my earlier post, were in the open. Nothing had to be destroyed or even moved, to see those problems. I understand that home inspectors do not pull apart or otherwise destroy property to find issues.
    Don't get me wrong though, I am not here to complain about the HI trade.
    I once thought about being a HI, but decided to go into IT. And I hate my trade being represented by incompetent reps... such as Geek Squad. If I could provide just one piece of advice to those with computer problems....
    DO NOT USE GEEK SQUAD.

You would think with all the money he makes he could afford not to dress like he just rolled out of a barn. IMO, he's a JA.

Ferrisr Guest

There is good and Bad about Mike Homes,

He is from here in Ontario Canada where most of his programs are shot, using the Ontario building code.

Here in Ontario there is no license to be a home inspector, everyone and anyone can claim the profession.

The good is he is bring light to this situation and trying to ensure that home inspectors are properly trained and licenced.

The bad, is his show do not accurately explain what home inspection is or does. The real owners of a home contact him show him the report and their observations form the last 6 - 8 months of living in the home.

Mike also has his own home inspection company here in Ontario and I am sure he will branch out to the USA soon

Mike Holmes Inspections | Quality Home Inspections

I find find it just advertising, and the sad thing is he is advertising a product he cant deliver.

Sam Sloane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    You would think with all the money he makes he could afford not to dress like he just rolled out of a barn. IMO, he's a JA.
    Don't you just love the end of the show when the female homeowner gives big Mike a hug and thanks him for finding and correcting all the problems that the "inept" Home Inspector missed and saving her home...The HERO in overalls.

I so have to agree that the Mike and Mike show is making the Canada home buyers more aware about home insp. At times over the top and far outside what could be expected from even the best inspection. The show is aired in Canada and the US, but the people watching in the US do not take note of from where Mike is speaking. A house looks like a house. The Canadian HI industry does leave a lot to be desires. The US has started to tighten up the HI but has not nailed it down yet. Canada is where the US was. I think that the US HIs would feel better if Mike made a disclaimer that he is in Canada and the Canadian HI situation is a real problem but should not be equated to the US HI situation (what ever that may be). Mike needs to go to Costa Rica to do a program or maybe India. Now that would be a hoot watch.

The new show that was on lastnight was actually pretty good. Yes, they slammed the home inspector but it also made me think about older homes that have been remodeled.

As an inspector what do you look or think about when you inspect a home that has had major work done on it, such as walls being removed? Do you think about what it was like before the walls were removed?

I thought it was a pretty good show.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mark T. Denton Guest

Mike Holmes is a contractor. His job on his show is to slam the other guy and make himself look good. The jobs he does are the worst of the worst as far as remodel's are concerned. I have seen some of these in the flesh and it's not pretty when you have to tell your client that nothing is done per code or even common sense. I do believe, however, that people like Holmes can serve to educate the general public on the importance of protecting themselves by hiring an inspector and doing their own research on them instead of referring to the Realtors choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark T. Denton View Post
    Mike Holmes is a contractor. His job on his show is to slam the other guy and make himself look good. The jobs he does are the worst of the worst as far as remodel's are concerned. I have seen some of these in the flesh and it's not pretty when you have to tell your client that nothing is done per code or even common sense. I do believe, however, that people like Holmes can serve to educate the general public on the importance of protecting themselves by hiring an inspector and doing their own research on them instead of referring to the Realtors choice.
    We're on over 300 agent referral lists. Hard to generalize and imply all agents lists are corrupt. Most of our clients (75%) will have called at least 3 other companies before making an appointment. It's reality TV, he's all about creating controversy.

Note: the buyers "looked through" the seller's inspection report. They didn't bother having their own inspection.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

His show is crazy. It seems he tells them the inspector should catch this and that. yes they should if they can spend days looking and tear into everything like he does............He needs to get a grip and set the record straight

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Hey Stuart,
    I had a client from there who said that they had to sign a document when they bought the house; if there find anything related to the civil war they have to report it etc... Sounds pretty cool if its true.

Hey Stuart,
    I had a client from there who said that they had to sign a document when they bought the house; if there find anything related to the civil war they have to report it etc... Sounds pretty cool if its true.
    Yes there are still places where minnie balls can still be found on the top of the ground. Stuff is plowed up, dug up and people still get caught trying to metal detect on U.S. Park Service land. I've never heard of that particular requirement but I certainly don't doubt it. This is hysterical Fredericksburg you know. Oh, sorry, that's "historical".

Most of the "finds" are on the North side of the Rappahannock River where the Northern invaders camped. One of the more dark but humorous stories from the metal detector relic hunters in the area is how all these pretty brass breast plates and belt buckles that were frequently found in the remnants of the fire pits. Seems the yankees loved that pretty shiny brass. But the Southern sharpshooters could easily see it flashing in the light of the camp fires and used the reflections as targets when shooting from the trees and buildings on the South side of the river. It didn't take long for the Northern boys to realize what was happening. Those big shiny brass ornaments were quickly thrown in the the fire pits.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    I think Gilligan's Island will prove out to have a longer run on TV than this shipwreck!
    I will admit that I have only watched bits and pieces of this reality(?) show. I can't stand his arrogant personality.

I would rather watch something based a little more on Reality like "The Big Bang Theory" or "King of The Hill"--I tell ya' what!

Yes there are still places where minnie balls can still be found on the top of the ground. Stuff is plowed up, dug up and people still get caught trying to metal detect on U.S. Park Service land. I've never heard of that particular requirement but I certainly don't doubt it. This is hysterical Fredericksburg you know. Oh, sorry, that's "historical".

Most of the "finds" are on the North side of the Rappahannock River where the Northern invaders camped. One of the more dark but humorous stories from the metal detector relic hunters in the area is how all these pretty brass breast plates and belt buckles that were frequently found in the remnants of the fire pits. Seems the yankees loved that pretty shiny brass. But the Southern sharpshooters could easily see it flashing in the light of the camp fires and used the reflections as targets when shooting from the trees and buildings on the South side of the river. It didn't take long for the Northern boys to realize what was happening. Those big shiny brass ornaments were quickly thrown in the the fire pits.
    Man, that is so cool. I'd love to go out there and see those sites. All we have here is hollyweird.

Darrell Udelhoven Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    I think Gilligan's Island will prove out to have a longer run on TV than this shipwreck!
    I will admit that I have only watched bits and pieces of this reality(?) show. I can't stand his arrogant personality.

I would rather watch something based a little more on Reality like "The Big Bang Theory" or "King of The Hill"--I tell ya' what!
    I enjoy watching his shows; his arrogance doesn't bother me.
    He has earned the right to be arrogant; from my viewpoint he's an okay character, he seems to care about the people being treated RIGHT.

A lot of folks need to gain knowledge concerning these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Udelhoven View Post
    I enjoy watching his shows; his arrogance doesn't bother me.
    He has earned the right to be arrogant; from my viewpoint he's an okay character, he seems to care about the people being treated RIGHT.

A lot of folks need to gain knowledge concerning these matters.
    Earned the right how? You mean by making a ton of money on his stupid TV show bashing inspectors? yea...that gives him much credibility...

Darrell Udelhoven Guest

Earned the right how? You mean by making a ton of money on his stupid TV show bashing inspectors? yea...that gives him much credibility...
    I wasn't referring to his bashing inspectors; I was referring to the education the general viewer might obtain by watching his show.

I don't believe in bashing anyone; however, if we don't do our job to a specified standard then maybe we all need to be admonished a bit for it.

I don't know how much money he makes on his shows. Does anyone on this thread know?

Maybe it would be helpful if Big Mike explained to the viewing audience that home inspectors follow Standards of Practice.

Hey, some of the stuff he catches looks like "the inspector missed it", but some of what he blames on the inspector is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Peake View Post
    Maybe it would be helpful if Big Mike explained to the viewing audience that home inspectors follow Standards of Practice.

Hey, some of the stuff he catches looks like "the inspector missed it", but some of what he blames on the inspector is absurd.
    The last show I saw, where someone had gutted the load bearing walls on the first floor of an older home and there was a 3" dip in the 2nd floor; The floor had dropped down about an inch or more from the walls along a 2nd floor hallway; A load bearing column was basically resting on a glass block window in the basement - he made a couple of statements that what he was doing was not part of a normal home inspection and some of the things they were seeing would not have and could not have been seen in a standard home inspection.

The dip in the floor and gap between the walls and floor, in my opinion, should have been noticed by any competent home inspector and you wouldn't have to roll a golf ball down the hall to see it or feel it. And I have to agree Scott, there are some pretty ridiculous statements made not only by him but others including the Electrician he brings in. A typical tradesman who spouts out, "The inspector should of caught this" very quickly.

The Holmes Inspection is just another version of Holmes on Homes. He just gets a lot of publicity for his inspection business.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast