Rob Colecchi Guest

Default A question about Multi-branch circuits

Ok I have seen the classic disposal and dishwasher multi-branch circuits on split-wired receptacles on the same outlet. Today I saw half the house wired this way and the single pole breakers were not tied together, I wrote it up and recommend further review. However I just want to bounce what I saw in the panel to make sure I was correct. Here is the situation, as an example they had one breaker feeding outlets in a bedroom and the second breaker feeding hall lights. A single Romex cable with two hots, one neutral and a ground.
    My question are:
    1. They are still multi-branch circuits which need to be tied together even though they are feeding more than one outlet and more than one light fixture, correct?
    2. In general do you see any problem with the neutral with the way they ran the circuits?
    3. Is there anything that I am missing?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: A question about Multi-branch circuits

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Colecchi View Post
    1. They are still multi-branch circuits which need to be tied together even though they are feeding more than one outlet and more than one light fixture, correct?
    The handle tie requirement for multiwire branch circuits was new in the 2008 NEC. If the panel was installed under an earlier code (regardless of actual installation date) then IMO it cannot be considered a "defect". It can certainly be called for evaluation, but if I were to look at it I would write it up as perfectly code complaint and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Colecchi View Post
    2. In general do you see any problem with the neutral with the way they ran the circuits?
    Nope. Been fine and complaint for MANY years.

Default Re: A question about Multi-branch circuits

Might be worth adding here that if the disposer and dishwasher are on the same receptacle and supplied by individual breakers that a handle tie would be required. That rule has been around a long time.