Default Another Flipped House

I really dread flip jobs. I love the inspection part but absolutely hate the report part. The only good thing on the one today is that I get burn a contractor, flipper, real estate firm all in one blow, That's right folks, contractor team buys foreclosures, flips them, and owns the real estate company that lists their handiwork.

There is not county record of original construction. The first record is an addition in 1960. Nice paint job, great wood floor, new carpet and kitchen cabinets.

Just a few low-lights: Turned on main water valve: water soon starts running from the ceiling and ceiling fixtures all over the house. Some idiot had cut off pipes in an attic and left them open. Water heater was not connected to power. 3-way hall light/switches wired so there is a "master" and a "slave" switch. Gas furnace didn't work, shot roof, termites,..., on and on. I did go one step further than normal and showed them the "laundry room" wouldn't hold a normal washer and dryer and still allow them access to the water heater and main water cutoff which were stuck under a staircase.

Let's say I had another client who was very glad they had a home inspection. Said they would call me when they look at the next house.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Stuart Brooks; 02-01-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: grammer
    Inspection Referral
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Default Re: Another Flipped House

If an inspector is finding significant satisfaction in bring down a contractor or R.E. person I tend to wonder how this may be coming across to others and I think that it is important to care about this. Does the inspector appear to be professional and unbiased or vengeful. When I did my training many years ago I remember a particular piece of advice: The client is having you look at a property that they feel good and excited about. They're often proud of their find and are looking forward to living in it. When an inspector finds some disquieting condition(s) he/she should be diplomatic in how information is presented.

Even if other people involved in a R.E. transaction verge on being morons I think that the inspector should maintain his/her integrity and professionalism. I've picked up a few referrals along the way by this approach. I doubt that being unnecessarily harsh on people will have the same results.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Was there anything other than cosmetic problems?

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Turned on main water valve: water soon starts running from the ceiling and ceiling fixtures all over the house. Some idiot had cut off pipes in an attic and left them open.
    That is why I no longer turn water valves on. Let the RE agent turn the valve on if they did not get the utilities turned on before you got there.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Sam Sloane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    If an inspector is finding significant satisfaction in bring down a contractor or R.E. person I tend to wonder how this may be coming across to others and I think that it is important to care about this. Does the inspector appear to be professional and unbiased or vengeful. When I did my training many years ago I remember a particular piece of advice: The client is having you look at a property that they feel good and excited about. They're often proud of their find and are looking forward to living in it. When an inspector finds some disquieting condition(s) he/she should be diplomatic in how information is presented.

Even if other people involved in a R.E. transaction verge on being morons I think that the inspector should maintain his/her integrity and professionalism. I've picked up a few referrals along the way by this approach. I doubt that being unnecessarily harsh on people will have the same results.
    Agree 100%. Home Inspectors need to be professionals and ACT like professionals. Playing games to embarrass or upset the RE agent is the most childish thing. I know that many of you on here do this and reading it in a forum is sometimes funny, but bottom line guys, its very unprofessional.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I didn't get the sense that Stuart was running around through the inspection dancing and giggling at the situation. But I think understand where he's coming from. Sometimes you find yourself reaching a slow simmering boil when you see what somebody is trying to sell as "completely rehabbed" and it ends up being nothing more than a big steaming pile of crap that has some perfume thrown on it.

When you inspect many places like this and observe defects and ignored issues no matter where you look, you tend to develop your own coping mechanism to maintain a positive outlook. I won't visibly take delight in front of the client but I will silently snicker when I find one significant issue after another after another after another.......

Do I enjoy seeing somebody's dream of home ownership temporarily fall apart? No. But I do enjoy being the one who helped prevent them from making a huge financial mistake.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I didn't get the sense that Stuart was running around through the inspection dancing and giggling at the situation. But I think understand where he's coming from. Sometimes you find yourself reaching a slow simmering boil when you see what somebody is trying to sell as "completely rehabbed" and it ends up being nothing more than a big steaming pile of crap that has some perfume thrown on it.

When you inspect many places like this and observe defects and ignored issues no matter where you look, you tend to develop your own coping mechanism to maintain a positive outlook. I won't visibly take delight in front of the client but I will silently snicker when I find one significant issue after another after another after another.......

Do I enjoy seeing somebody's dream of home ownership temporarily fall apart? No. But I do enjoy being the one who helped prevent them from making a huge financial mistake.
    Thanks Nick - That pretty much the scenario. However, there are times when I say, "It's a GREAT day to be a home inspector". The client was there as well as the listing/selling agent. They were fully aware of what was going on as the inspection progressed. BTW, the clients are fans of the Mike Holmes shows and immediately recognized some issues.

Eric - Where do you get the idea I was being totally unprofessional and making an ass out of myself in front of clients? Personal experience? I would like to think one could make comments here that would NEVER be made in front of a client. Nick hit it on the head. Every flipped house I go to has, so far, been a quick buck, sell it and run pile of crap. And everyone was done by a combination contractor/agent. Yes - I do go out of my way to find things that were hidden or ignored. After a while you develop a sense for what and where to look. I don't want to find anything wrong but typical flippers make it too easy. This particular company has about 30 properties on the market. I feel sorry for all the other people who don't have a inspection by someone who does more than a walk-through.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Some Flippers try to do a better job at remodeling than others.
    Some time ago I inspected a Flippers house. Found some really big problems with the electrical, plumbing, deck and a few other items.
    I reported this to the prospective buyer.
    That next morning I got a call from the Flipper. He wanted me to explain to him some of what was in the report.
    He said "I hire and pay subcontractors that are susposed to be doing a good job. I want them to do what I'm paying them to do".
    He asked if I would meet with the subs so they could make the corrections (if I would do it at no charge). I told him I would meet with his foreman, at no charge. The foreman was eager to correct everything I pointed out. I don't know if everything was actualy done or not, but the owner of the company was concerned that he was paying for work that was not done properly.
    The owner called me back and thanked me for taking time to meet with his foreman.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Not all flippers are the same.

I had one flipped house recently where there had been a fire in the garage. New drywall was put up in the garage and that was it. No framing replacement or smoke clean up. The house was as-is, no disclosure. The buyers and their agent were unaware of the fire until my inspection. Upon further investigation the city had mandated repairs to the home, due to the fire, which had never been completed. The remodeling that had been done was done without permits. The city was scheduled to review the home in 60 days. My buyer was to close in 22 days. In this case the agent had hired the contractors to cover up the fire damage. Her response to my buyer's agent was, "What are they going to do, arrest me?" while laughing.

Another flipped house I inspected had some issues which the contractor failed to address during the remodel and some of the remodeling was done incorrectly. These were revealed during the inspection. My buyer brought the issues to the contractor / seller and they repaired everything. The contractor called me afterward and apologized for his subs not doing things correctly. He has since hired me to inspect his flipped homes before they go on the market.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sloane View Post
    Agree 100%. Home Inspectors need to be professionals and ACT like professionals. Playing games to embarrass or upset the RE agent is the most childish thing. I know that many of you on here do this and reading it in a forum is sometimes funny, but bottom line guys, its very unprofessional.
    I'm like Stuart. I enjoy 'finding' things during my inspection. Hey, that's why they hire me, to find stupid things like Stuart did.

If in the course of 'finding' things, you make someone else look bad, so be it; I'm not gonna look bad because of someone else's stupidity.

Sam, did you ever do an inspection and everything you told your client the agent said something stupid? Like "it's done that way in MY house" or 'houses are done that way all the time' or better yet, 'the home warranty will cover that'.

I just talk and most of the stupid agents make themselves look stupid.

Professional; If you look the word up in the dictionary I think Stuarts picture will probably be there.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Not all flippers are the same.

I had one flipped house recently where there had been a fire in the garage. New drywall was put up in the garage and that was it. No framing replacement or smoke clean up. The house was as-is, no disclosure. The buyers and their agent were unaware of the fire until my inspection. Upon further investigation the city had mandated repairs to the home, due to the fire, which had never been completed. The remodeling that had been done was done without permits. The city was scheduled to review the home in 60 days. My buyer was to close in 22 days. In this case the agent had hired the contractors to cover up the fire damage. Her response to my buyer's agent was, "What are they going to do, arrest me?" while laughing.

Another flipped house I inspected had some issues which the contractor failed to address during the remodel and some of the remodeling was done incorrectly. These were revealed during the inspection. My buyer brought the issues to the contractor / seller and they repaired everything. The contractor called me afterward and apologized for his subs not doing things correctly. He has since hired me to inspect his flipped homes before they go on the market.
    I like the last story. It is nice to run into people who want to do things right.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    I'm like Stuart. I enjoy 'finding' things during my inspection. Hey, that's why they hire me, to find stupid things like Stuart did.

If in the course of 'finding' things, you make someone else look bad, so be it; I'm not gonna look bad because of someone else's stupidity.

Sam, did you ever do an inspection and everything you told your client the agent said something stupid? Like "it's done that way in MY house" or 'houses are done that way all the time' or better yet, 'the home warranty will cover that'.

I just talk and most of the stupid agents make themselves look stupid.

Professional; If you look the word up in the dictionary I think Stuarts picture will probably be there.

Hey Darren! You're on my A-One list!

Stu, Fredericksburg VA