Scott Lee Guest

Default multiple meter question

1) Can 2 completely seperate metered services be run on the same pole? One is a sub-fed 4 wire system to a manufactured home (200amp) . And the other is a main service that supplies a well (100amp with 30amp protection on the well. Not subfed.)
    2) Can these 2 services use the same ground rod?

any ideas on this one?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: multiple meter question

It is not unusual in my area, different Electrical code, to see multiple meters on a pole, but each had their own ground rod in this case. Mobile, pardon me, manufactured home park.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Scott Lee Guest

Talking Re: multiple meter question

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Mobile, pardon me, manufactured home park.
    haha funny, nope pre HUD.... these are mobiles

They are mobile manufactured homes. This one had two shiny trailer hitches stored in the crawlspace. I can't answer the ground rod question. That is one for the big guns here.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

yes!!

Mobile home, manufactured home,factory built home, a trailer by any other name is still a trailer.

Scott Lee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Mobile home, manufactured home,factory built home, a trailer by any other name is still a trailer.
    im taking it by ur statement u have an issue with factory built houses....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
    No, just trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    yes!!
    "Yes!!" what?

They can use the same ground rod? Hard to believe.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Color coded romex was made for the crews wiring trailers/manufactured homes* if same crews were laying sod the crew leader would be yelling "green side up, green side up".

*AKA disposable homes.

Last edited by Rollie Meyers; 02-05-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Unhappy Re: multiple meter question

Color coded romex was made for the crews wiring trailers/manufactured homes* if same crews were laying sod the crew leader would be yelling "green side up, green side up".

*AKA disposable homes.
    Pardon me, but your ignorance is showing

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    It is obvious that you have not seen much then,when you call someone ignorant you need to look in the mirror, the wiring is done by low wage laborers & every thing in a trailer is bottom dollar + and show me a old trailer & in a lot of cases (not all) all you see is a dumpy, frumpy disposable home, & unlike a stick built they do not do very well w/ deferred maintenance. (It is hard to bring them back to good condition).

I dislike them but they do have their place in the housing market.

1) Can 2 completely seperate metered services be run on the same pole? One is a sub-fed 4 wire system to a manufactured home (200amp) . And the other is a main service that supplies a well (100amp with 30amp protection on the well. Not subfed.)
    2) Can these 2 services use the same ground rod?

any ideas on this one?

I have seen six separate meters (MD & VA) all using the same ground rod. The issue is their connection to the rod.

What the meters are for is of little consequence if installed correctly. Well, shed, house, trailer. Wish I could give the code reference.

There seems to be a divergence into the trailer - modular - mobile nomenclature along with some personal prejudice issues.

Most new houses are not well built, they are just built to code. Which means a minimum standard. In the old days things were either over built or under built (ei. stood up for a while without falling down under their own weight).

Trailers have their place in the economic scheme of housing. Like house some are good and others are bad. Not all can afford a McMansion.

We do live in a disposable society. All houses have a use full life attached to them just like trailers. AKA disposable at some point.

Rollie, what kind of car / truck do you have. Also, how long do you plan to keep it before you dispose of it.

Side note, I am sure that the wiring in the Space Shuttle is color coded. I know for a fact that an F-18 has coded wire.

*AKA disposable homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Booth View Post
    Rollie,

I would have used other words, but the meaning would have been referring to the same thing as Gregory's wording ...

My wording would have been ... 'Rollie, you forgot the Big Grin () in your post.'

I have no doubt that you know what you said was not correct, but that it probably worked out to be that way in the end.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Rollie,

I would have used other words, but the meaning would have been referring to the same thing as Gregory's wording ...

My wording would have been ... 'Rollie, you forgot the Big Grin () in your post.'

I have no doubt that you know what you said was not correct, but that it probably worked out to be that way in the end.
    I added it.

Terry Griffin Guest

If the power supplier put multiple meters on one pole, why even be concerned about it?