Mauricio Avendano Guest

Default Type of smoke detectors

I'm the owner of a 30 year old town home in San Antonio, TX and the HOA is requiring us to install smoke detectors in order to meet the standards, what type of smoke detectors should I install?, Do I need an electrician or can I do it myself?, do they need to be wired or they can be wireless (Battery power supply)? and where should I place them?. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Type of smoke detectors

Hardwired is best, but I know you will need an electrician since you had to ask.

They sell 9v lithium batteries now that they claim will last 10 years in a smoke detector. Test often if you go this route.

How to Install a Smoke Detector or Carbon Monoxide Detector - wikiHow

NFPA :: Safety Information :: For consumers :: Fire & safety equipment :: Smoke alarms

Here is where to place them:
    NFPA :: Safety Information :: For consumers :: Fire & safety equipment :: Smoke alarms

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

Mauricio Avendano Guest

Thanks Bruce, it helped a lot and gave some guidence of what I needed

Sam Sloane Guest

Every bedroom should have a smoke detector. One in the hallway on 2nd floor. One near kitchen and one in basement. If you have upstairs, might want one near bottom of stairs near living room.

BTW, I've started replacing difficult to reach alarms such as those in multi-story rooms, at cathedral ceilings and over stair wells with these:

Kidde KN-SMFM-i Silhouette Hardwire Low Profile Smoke Alarm

as the rechargeable battery eliminates the need for replacing batteries (my experience has been that been that even Lithium 9V batteries only last 2-3 years in many types of smoke and CO alarms).

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Mauricio Avendano Guest

Thanks Sam and Michael, I took note of that too.
    Do you know where I can find the Fire code for Smoking alarms for San Antonio, Tx on the internet?

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio Avendano View Post
    I'm the owner of a 30 year old town home in San Antonio, TX and the HOA is requiring us to install smoke detectors in order to meet the standards, what type of smoke detectors should I install?, Do I need an electrician or can I do it myself?, do they need to be wired or they can be wireless (Battery power supply)? and where should I place them?. Thanks.
    A bit more expensive to buy but you can buy smoke detectors that send a signal to all the rest of other smoke detectors and set the rest off as though they are all wired together. Wiring an existing town home is a bit expensive and they do make batteries that last a seriously long time now.

The only thing wrong with battery detectors is the batteries do need to be replaced but I look at it like this. The ones that do not replace the batteries when needed are the same one that just rip the units off the ceilings to shut them up and never put them back.

Mauricio Avendano Guest

I agree Ted, Thanks.

There is a lot of noise right now about the effectiveness of ionization (the most common) smoke alarms as compared to the photoelectric smoke alarms.

NFPA :: Safety Information :: For consumers :: Fire & safety equipment :: Smoke alarms :: Ionization vs. photoelectric

Attached Files Attached Files
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Sam Sloane Guest

If you get battery operated smoke detectors, never buy cheap batteries and stay away from dollar store brand. Seen too many people do this and they wonder why the detector bleeps a lot which is what happens when batteries get weak. Rechargeable batteries are not a good idea either. Buy good name brand alkaline. Don't skimp when it comes to smoke detectors. Most units recommend specific brands and models of replacement batteries and/or any long-life lithium battery. Using non-recommended batteries can cause premature failure of the smoke detector..

Last edited by Sam Sloane; 02-10-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Is there a requirement for interconnected smoke detectors in your neck of the woods?

In retrofits we can use wireless radio connected units, but all new construction requires smoke detectors using 120V power and interconnected so when one goes off they all go off.

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca