steve mcgown Guest

Default exterior wall movement

Can anyone please give me an opinion on what causes an exterior (brick veneer) wall to show movement towards the top of wall (when pushed). Is it foundation issues? Brick tie failure? mortar joint failure? How would you report this?

Thanks in advanvce
    Steve

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: exterior wall movement

The pic is too small to really see anything. Can you post an enlarged version?

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

steve mcgown Guest

here is a larger pic.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Steve

Most brick veneer walls on residential structures are basically a free standing wall. If built with the typical 1-inch gap between the brick and the wall behind the center of a long wall at the top will be the easiest point to push. If the house has brick on all four sides the the closer you get to the end the less likely you will be able to push the wall because the side wall provides support. Brick ties are there to prevent the brick from pulling away from the wall, they provide little resistance against pushing.

Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com

The company I used to work for always speced these ties out (305 & 315).
    They do 'help' prevent vertical movement.

after working with these ties, it's my opinion the corrugated ties are really worthless (just MY opinion).

Wall Ties & Anchors -- Hohmann & Barnard, Inc. - Building Product Manufacturer in Sweets Network

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)