Thread: TIF 8900

Default TIF 8900

I have questions for frequent (or not so frequent) users of the TIF 8900.

I bought one in my zealousness to be a "good" inspector several years ago. Realistically, I have not used it very much at all. One of the reasons is, even after studying the instructions, I have been unable to make heads or tails of its workings.

On yesterday's inspection, I smelled some gas at the water heater and decided to get out the 8900. It had fresh batteries. I turned it on outside and walked into the home. The clicking sound starts out fast and then slows down without my touching the dial. If I increase the clicking, it once again will slow down. Of course this affects the lights. I needed to set it at the high sensitivity level, but.... I can't figure out if I'm doing it wrong.

Can someone be so good as to describe their successful use of this product and tell me the steps they use?

How often do you have it calibrated?

Thanks in advance,
    Bruce

Member Benefits1
    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Default Re: TIF 8900

My guess is the sensor has gone bad, they don't seem to last very long. Put it in the "usless tool" bin. That's what I did with my 8800 several years ago when the $40 sensor gave up. I do carry a small "pen" type that works just as well. I use that very occasionally.

C.Johnson Guest

I do not use the TIF brands, but to my knowledge they all work about the same. If one has not been used, or out of service for a long period of time they can take up to 10 min to calibrate themselves. A fast tic or solid alarm sound is normal upon first turning on the unit the the tic rate slows down, when it is slow is when its ready for use. adjust the dial to get a nice slow steady tic rate to start testing ( i would say around 1 tic per second or so) then when gas is detected the tic rate goes up finally to a solid alarm if at combustible levels, if you are nowhere near a joint or potential leaking area of said gas line you can dial down the tic rate again to help zero in on the source of the leak. Hope This Helps .

FYI I use the Extech Combustible Gas Meter.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Johnson View Post
    I do not use the TIF brands, but to my knowledge they all work about the same. If one has not been used, or out of service for a long period of time they can take up to 10 min to calibrate themselves. A fast tic or solid alarm sound is normal upon first turning on the unit the the tic rate slows down, when it is slow is when its ready for use. adjust the dial to get a nice slow steady tic rate to start testing ( i would say around 1 tic per second or so) then when gas is detected the tic rate goes up finally to a solid alarm if at combustible levels, if you are nowhere near a joint or potential leaking area of said gas line you can dial down the tic rate again to help zero in on the source of the leak. Hope This Helps .

FYI I use the Extech Combustible Gas Meter.
    Very good info. So....will I get a slow sound even in the high sens. mode (lights all the way to the right bar)?

Benjamin - you may be right too

Ted Menelly Guest

Waht CJ has said I found to be true myself. If I have not used it for a while I turn it on outside and let it sit for a while and then bring it inside and as you approach a leak the tick gets steadier. If I just bring it in the home and turn it on It fluctuates up and down.

I no longer use a gas leak detector with the exception of my big nose and on occasion some liquid to see if I can get bubbles to blow. Either way, if I smell gas and it does not go away as I am operating everything around the home I write it up that I smell gas around xxxx, what ever I am smelling it around, and advise to get it checked out....even if I do not get a solid reading from the gas meter...which I do not use anymore.

Smell gas...no good. Don't smell gas it cannot be to bad Just kidding but pretty true.

C.Johnson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Very good info. So....will I get a slow sound even in the high sens. mode (lights all the way to the right bar)?

Benjamin - you may be right too
    Not sure how the TIF's work, but my Extech has a general search setting to detect combustible gas, when It sounds off I can then Adjust the sensitivity higher to pinpoint the gas leak.

i.e. if I have my Gas can out in my garage when I walk into my garage it will sound off then i can adjust the sensitivity again and it does not go off again until I'm closer to the can of gas, it just helps me pinpoint the leak if the gas has filled the area.

But by all means if it sounds off Immediately, you may want to tell everyone to leave the area and please do not light any candles.

Rob Yarboro Guest

JB, what is the age of your Tif? The sensor has a finite life and probably needs replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Yarboro View Post
    JB, what is the age of your Tif? The sensor has a finite life and probably needs replacement.
    I believe I bought it in the middle of 2006