Default the first time I saw window trim like this

This is a 2010 new house in rainy Vancouver BC Canada. It was the first time I saw the window trim (lintel) addressed like this. 2 trims stacked together. I am worried about the rain got in between. Is caulking/painting the only solution for this?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: the first time I saw window trim like this

Could work, if the flashing above the window extends up under the flashing above the trim, and if everything is detailed and sequenced properly.

However, without removing the trim, no way to know.

I would report my concern, and the limitation to the inspection, and recommend that a section of trim be removed and the flashings inspected if the client really wants to know how likely this area is to be/remain adequately water-tight.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 02-11-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

What lintel? Why would there be a lintel above either opening?

Two different windows under cantillevered, apparently well framed projections - what lintel?

Are you concerned about missing flashing or drip edge from the cantillever projection and shingle finish and/or the rim/freize board to window accessory, trim and window opening flashing?

I mean the 2 trims on top of window. I am worried about the joint in between the 2 pcs of wood trim.

A closer look: there appears to be flashing at the lower edge of the cladding, and one above the window.

If so, and the flashing above the window extends above the bottom of and behind the flashing at the bottom of the cladding, and everything is detailed properly, that could work.

Or, there could be a WRB behind and below the upper flashing, with the lower flashing behind the WRB.

What would not work is if there is a gap between the flashings and/ or WRB exposing unprotected sheathing behind the trim between the cladding and the window.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Michael Thomas; 02-11-2011 at 04:31 PM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com