joseph flood Guest

Default heigth of a new 200amp service panel

I can't seem to find the standard height placement for my new 200 amp service panel. I tried to find the NEC code on the internet but with no luck. I thought it was 36" from the floor to the first breaker. I live in Washington state. Can someone nail this down for me. Oh! Its in an area with lots of open working space. A 6'x6' room all by itself.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: heigth of a new 200amp service panel

From the 2006 IRC
    E3605.7 Location of overcurrent devices in or on premises.
    Overcurrent devices shall:
    1. Be readily accessible.
    2. Not be located where they will be exposed to physical
    damage.
    3. Not be located where they will be in the vicinity of easily
    ignitible material such as in clothes closets.
    4. Not be located in bathrooms.
    5. Be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating
    handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest
    position, is not more than 6 feet 7 inches (2.0 m) above the
    floor or working platform.

The area you are in could have different requirments

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Joseph,

While there is the max. height that Rick provided, I am not aware of any min. height.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

You may also need to consider the overall application, height from grade, elevation of the location from your "flood zone", etc. Changes or upgrades to the equipment may require a reconfiguration due to local rules or ammendments - unknown your circumstances or precise location, what, if any differences there may be from your present configuration vs. your planned work/replacement/upgrade and/or relocation.

Your best information would come from your local office, and verifying what needs to be considered including the finished or unfinished ceiling height of said room, and a host of other possible details, including the property classification, and what and where this "room" is; distance from point of entrance, etc.; and confirming as well any requirements which might be imposed by your insurers, your power company, and local ammendments.

Since service equipment replacement or upgrade generally requires both cooperation/coordination with/from both your power company and electrical work permit and inspection(s) from the authority having jurisdiction, the procedure generally requiring submission of planned work details - the references and applicable codes, local ammendments, requirements, and other specific considerations could and should be sourced from your local office having jurisdiction and your local power company, amongst other possible sources, citing the specifics of the actual proposed modification/work location & environment.

I.E. a garage "room" a storage "room" or one used potentially as one, a classified location "room", other than residential "room" a basement "room" in an area now subject to "flood zone" classifications, an area requiring "service disconnects" to the exterior, whether the overall construction or electrification is "new" or modifying existing or is covered under a maintenance code, historical districts or review, a particular occupancy type, etc. It would be unusual in a single family residence to dedicate or for a planning dept. to "buy" a residential 6x6' "room" or space to nothing but electrical "service equipment" panel and to practically expect that there would be no other use or purpose for the "room" now or in the future, example storage, etc.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 02-12-2011 at 09:39 AM.

lower panel may also be wheelchair access consideration seen in specified housing

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Ted Menelly Guest

One should not be on their knees to work on a panel.

I had one that someone added a deck to the rear of the home and the panel was just above the deck height. You would have had to have been laying down to service it.

Practicality is all that matters for the minimum. Barry mentioned wheel chair access. I seriously doubt anyone in a wheel chair would be servicing the panel but I have seen stranger things. As long as the wheel chair person can reach the upper breaker from the chair as in the home owner then I think it would still be reasonably high so you would not have to be on your knees servicing it.