Edward Rodriguez Guest

Red face Ridge line shingles and Valley flashing

I had an inspection at a single family res. and found a couple things I wanted to ask about. The first picture attached shows that they used the the same shingles they put on the entire roof rather than using ridge shingles (notice the tabs lifting). Would it be safe to report it as substandard ridge shingles. Second, the cross gable section found on the second picture attached, had valley flashing partially installed or what appeared to be shuved into the valleys. What wording would you suggest in reporting these deficiencies, if any.

Thanks again comrades

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Ridge line shingles and Valley flashing

The ridge should have been done using ridge shingle which are matched to the color of the shingles used on the roof field. Architectural / dimensional shingles should not be used on the ridge, they are just not designed for that use. The ridge shingle look like flat 3 tab shingle which will bend over the ridge better. Some roofers will try to get away with the dimensional shingle used for the ridge because either they did not want to spend the extra money for the ridge shingle or they just forgot to order them. Either way its wrong.

Is it that the valley was just not cut open ( may be hard to tell) toward the ridge? Does the flashing in the valley run the full length of the valley? Looking at the bottom of the valley at the facia edge do you see that the flashing extends to the right and left?

What Garry said. You are correct to call for replacement of those ridge shingles.
    And those two valleys need to be checked by a qualified roofer to see if the flashings are intact all the way from top to bottom. The open valley is a good way to go, but it is not correct to run the shingles down into it like that.
    There may be a warranty on that roof, as it appears to be fairly new. In any case, there could be expense repairs to make if the valley metal was too short.

Wording? Incorrect use of architectural shingles for ridge capping. Replace with ridge cap shingles to prevent shingle damage, leakage.
    Incorrect installation of open valley flashing. Have a qualified roofer inspect the flashings and make needed repairs to prevent premature leakage, damage and blah blah blah.

Last edited by John Kogel; 02-15-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Edward Rodriguez Guest

Thanks again comrades for your knowledge!!!!

Frank Suchodolski Guest

I think that if you have a qualified roofer look at this roof, there are going to be a host of other problems. This doesn't look like it was done by a "qualified" roofer. Forgot to get Ridge cap...didn't bring enough valley metal...what else was forgotten? Nails? Underlay? Was the old roof removed or is it over top the old roof? When I find mistakes like these there are usually more.

Frank Suchodolski, TQ, RRO

Mike Inspector Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Rodriguez View Post
    I had an inspection at a single family res. and found a couple things I wanted to ask about. The first picture attached shows that they used the the same shingles they put on the entire roof rather than using ridge shingles (notice the tabs lifting). Would it be safe to report it as substandard ridge shingles. Second, the cross gable section found on the second picture attached, had valley flashing partially installed or what appeared to be shuved into the valleys. What wording would you suggest in reporting these deficiencies, if any.

Thanks again comrades

Simple- Substandard workmanship