Default Notched rafter bearing

I am having a dispute with a builder over my call on some notched rafters that in my opinion should be bearing on the header framing. The missed cuts are leaving a 2-inch gap between the rafters and the side of the header of the upper level knee wall. He says it is fine and I am saying it is a weak point just as if it were an over-notched rafter. I need a lttle support (pardon the pun). The rafters are cut this way along the entire wall. They were shimmed to rest on top of the header but nothing keeping the notched area from breaking at the weak points under a wind load. The pic doesn't show it but these rafters continue on about 12 ft above the header.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Default Re: Notched rafter bearing

That looks like funky framing to me.... It's hard to tell from the picture but that rafter looks like it's well less than an inch thick at its smallest point. I'm curious how far down (down and right in the picture) these rafters extend?

I honestly don't see how a builder could try to argue that is okay. Maybe I'm missing something from the picture but that just looks bad....

Michael Greenwalt Guest

In my opinion your builder is incorrect. The notch in the rafters was simply overcut leaving the lower area without any support. There are a couple options that may be considered as opposed to removal and replacement. Purlins could be installed to accept the load of the span or the rafters could be sistered. In either case I would recommend the owners consult with an engineer and the engineers recommendations followed.
    There is no way that a rafter can rest on nothing and be called supportive. I did see the shims but did not see any nailings securing the upper section that continous on. That will have to be addressed as well if that section is to remain as is to secure the rafter to the plate.

Robert Koch Guest

I agree that there is a problem. I would recommend an architect, SE, or design professional. Inadequate/no bearing; There is probably a strap for this application (simpson).

Good luck!
    Bob

That is what I told them. Get a third opinion from an engineer to settle the dispute. This was the builders $500,000 home that he was living in and he followed us around the entire inspection.

The rafters went down to the right about 10ft to the header of the first floor. I figure they will end up sistering onto the rafters to bear on the nee wall.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.