Default Added structural support

I ran across this today. 75 year old two story home. Original wood beam and posts. I stated in my report that the support appeared to be an engineered design, but not properly installed. Drywall screws are anchoring the assembly to the wood posts.

Along with the added assembly there were several adjustable posts added which were not secured top or bottom, one had a footing added, the others were on the concrete slab.

There was also an open permit on the home for structural repairs.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Added structural support

I rarely ever see the mounting holes utilized on the top or bottom plates of the adjustable posts.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Brad Peterson Guest

Well here goes- The last two photo's are easy all columns are to be mechanically attached to floor and beam for up-lift and horizontal movement control.
    The first few photo's are of a design only the designer is sure of purpose. I would say that the horzontal strut are possible for motion control or for a type of shear wall system. Either way the drywall screw has no shear strenght and I would have recommended a fastener typical of strucural use and then recommend that a engineer or origanal drawings be obtained for further evaluation.

Good luck

James Duffin Guest

If those adjustable post are the kind sold at the big box stores they are not approved for permanent use. They are thin-wall tubing and should be 3" schedule 40 or greater.....unless approved by an engineer.

Ken

Although it looks like someone took allot of time and effort to build that support I don't think it was engineered. What type of loading was on the main floor to warrant this extra support?

Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Mayo View Post
    Ken

Although it looks like someone took allot of time and effort to build that support I don't think it was engineered. What type of loading was on the main floor to warrant this extra support?
    No extra load. Typical 4 square house, but the post on the right of the first photo had settle a bit.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com