Default hiring another inspector

Hello Folks,

I would like to hear about your experiences in hiring another inspector to help with the workload. What has worked? What would you differently? How do you pay (percentage)? What did you require that the new inspector bring with them to your company? What did you supply?

I think it would be tough to have a new person come in, but it would also be nice to to kill yourself with so much business!

thoughts?

Thanks!
    Dave

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Default Re: hiring another inspector

I have done this a few times. Make sure you are swamped with business so you have enough work to keep the new guy busy and happy.

You have to be comfortable with the skills of the new guy to let him loose on your clients. So depending on the experience level of the new guy, this might entail a bunch of tandem inspections until you feel you can cut them loose on their own.

I gave them their own laptop with software installed. Same thing about time it takes for them to get used to the software and your style of reporting.
    I had a whole list of required equipment. If they didn't have their own "gadget", then I provided it. Small stuff I might lend of give to them outright. Big stuff, I might buy, and "sell" it to them in small payments taken from their pay. I also provided an internet card for the computer.

They were paid a % of the inspection fee. They also made a certain amount if they placed a radon monitor, or picked one up, or did both. While I didn't pay all of their mileage, I did compensate them. Generally if they did a re-inspection, they got the entire fee.

I covered them on my E&O policy.
    I paid their ASHI chapter fees.

This is not something to go into with short term goals. There is a huge investment in time and information in training someone, and having them having access to your way of doing business, marketing, clients and referral base. There is always the chance that they will take some of that with them.

I have been very lucky with the people I have had working for me. I would hire them back in a second if my business got back to the level it was three years ago.

Last edited by Jack Feldmann; 02-20-2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: edit spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I have done this a few times. Make sure you are swamped with business so you have enough work to keep the new guy bust and happy.
    I guess the Swamps would be a good place to find a guy like that.

Dave, I could use a month in the sun. 75%. Do I get a yellow Hummer to drive?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

See what one little letter does?? Funny.

Jack this is why I no longer text. One weekend while off at a seminar I texted to my wife, " Its really nice here I wish you were her.

That missing little "e" on the end caused me plenty of problems.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    I deleted the links from the quote as not to continue on Lisa Endzas' marketing campaign. Anyone else should do the same so the links do not continue.

How about just sending folks a private message with your advertising information. I get embarrassed every time I see the blatant advertising campaign and you only tick folks off. Please advertise with the banners or in private.

Thank you for your prompt response to not advertising openly on this board. You are a peach of a woman.

If you were an inspector it would be one thing to throw a plug out there now and then for a side business. But the communications director, on her knees begging for hits and a draw of inspectors to her business sight is unprofessional and demeans you and your company. I do care and it is the only reason I keep bringing this up to you. Professionalism is a must for someone in your position.

? They are not ads. Click on them. They are links to sample contract language home inspectors should consider when hiring a helper. Unlike the link you include in every post that sells your services, we are not selling them. They are free for all inspectors to use.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 02-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Unlike the link you include in every post that sells your services, we are not selling them. They are free for all inspectors to use.
    That because no-one is buying them anymore; you have to give stuff away.

How many free memberships were given away this year?

By the way Lisa, I see your leader is a 'Certified Master Inspector"'just HOW many inspections has he conducted?

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

That because no-one is buying them anymore;
    No. They've always been free.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Lisa,
    While I don't always agree with you or your organization, those two documents are very good. Anyone thinking of bringing someone one should take a look at them, and maybe have their own atty look them over.

Thanks for sharing.

Lisa,
    While I don't always agree with you or your organization, those two documents are very good. Anyone thinking of bringing someone one should take a look at them, and maybe have their own atty look them over.

Thanks for sharing.
    Anytime.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Lisa,

Thanks for sharing.
    I agree with Jack.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Lisa, good information. Thanks for sharing!

Ted, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Chambers View Post
    Lisa, good information. Thanks for sharing!

Ted, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

No gift horse there at all. I actually like a lot of the info on their site but I just do not like the fact that she advertises on here for her company InterNACHI as she does with her links and such. Ben use to do the same thing but appears to have stopped for a while. They have banner adds and that is where advertisers should stay. You cannot get much simpler than that. The only reason they come on here is to have hits back to their site. They add nothing but that and never wish to pursue Home Inspector talk other than "Hey, go to our site. We need the hits and exposure. Ben usually comes on when he has something he is pushing and just about never besides that.

As far as me and every other inspector on here having links to their sites. Well, this is a home inspectors site and we are welcomed to add links to outr business as well as the state links Brian has set up.

That's silly. If I copy and paste the information over here instead of linking to it, everyone will still know that the information came from InterNACHI.

So you are attributing InterNACHI's dominance of every corner of your profession in over 60 different countries around the world to the dozen or so links I've posted here over the years? LOL! I think your theory might have a few holes.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Mitchell Toelle Guest

To Dave Hill...the OP.

Consider incorporating a non-compete clause or section within any contract you may wish to use with subs or employees. Also, learn all you can regarding sub-contractor laws in your State.

I'm sure you want to do it right and not cross any lines. I see it time and time again here in Calif. where someone is treated as a sub but in fact are employees according to the law, just so the employer can try to avoid payroll associated taxes. They instead try to send a 1099 to someone who was exlusive to them....employee.

Just bone up on AZ law and talk to an attorney about non-compete stuff.

Consider incorporating a non-compete clause or section within any contract you may wish to use with subs or employees.

Having a non compete clause on a sub may very well make the sub an employee and not a sub.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

That is true and that could cause you a lot of grief. That is why you should use the language in the links I posted in my post # 6.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

So you are attributing InterNACHI's dominance of every corner of your profession in over 60 different countries around the world to the dozen or so links I've posted here over the years? LOL! I think your theory might have a few holes.
    Geez; she and they are legends in their own minds.

Dominance? what a joke...

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Consider incorporating a non-compete clause or section within any contract you may wish to use with subs or employees.

Having a non compete clause on a sub may very well make the sub an employee and not a sub.
    Hey Rick,

You're right of course. We don't know what the OP is intending regarding sub or employee. That's why I said consult an attorney in his area. They should be familiar enough with AZ law to give him counsel, and direct him the proper way to go in either case. Just wanted to cover all the bases with the fewest words...raising flags for the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    Geez; she and they are legends in their own minds.

Dominance? what a joke...
    LOL how true..
    As seen on this site the only way they dominate anything is trying to dominate every possible HI chatboard.

On their site they have to post the same crap, and lie about other home inspectors, several different times every day to make their puppets believe they dominate the HI profession.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

What are you talking about?

On their site they have to post the same crap
    Our What's New page always has new stuff for inspectors.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI