reggie russell Guest

Question Palm Tech Inspection Program

Hey Guys,

I am needing some advice. I am looking to buy a new inspection program. One that will allow me to input data onsite and greatly reduce my report writing time. Right now, all I am using is MS Word and it is very laborious and time consuming to write my reports due to the amount of pictures I like to add. Looking at their website, Palm Tech looks great, but I know the info on there is all one sided so I would like to get opinions from anybody on here who has tried it and might have a different perspective. $1,300 is not something I want to spend and then find out I have wasted my money because it is not what I thought it was.

Thanks in advance for all your comments!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Palm Tech Inspection Program

Reggie,
    Do an "inspection software" search in this site and you will get more info. than you can read in a day.

Take advantage of the free trial period before you buy and check out
    more than one company.

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

All I can tell you is that I've used Palm Tech for 8 years or so. I'm marginally computer literate and I am completely satisfied. I can only imagine how better it could be if I tried.
    The realtors and clients find the report easy to read and understand. Pictures are a breeze to add. I can sign the report on the handheld, make a cover sheet and send it off. If I have a problem, I call the company and they have never failed to provide me with whatever I needed to get back and going. And the problems are almost always of my own making.
    If anything, I'm a little too dependent on them. But they have made me money. Simple as that.

JLMathis

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Oh, and by the way, that price you quoted must include the hardware. You do not have to get it from them. In fact, you can do better. Any hardware that runs on Windows will work. I use the HP IPAQ. The touch screen allows me to sign the report which is required by law in NC.

jlm

Many inspectors find out that trying to do data entry and inspect items is difficult. Myself I prefer to have my hands free as I am inspecting the exterior or I am holding my camera......

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

I used to use a handheld with Inspectvue, but switched to laptop alone when I had a problem with my Dell Axium's. I used a water and shock proof box that hung around my neck (Otterbox). It worked great. It was very easy to inspect something, then take a few seconds to input the info into the report.

Only had to have it in my hands when I was putting in data. The only time I have something in my hands all the time is in attics and crawlspaces (flashlight). Other than that, I pull out what I need when I need it.

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

The hand held fits in my tool bag or a shirt pocket if need be. I've been around here long enough that I can arrive early and pre-enter the basic stuff required by the licensing board. I leave any areas that can likely be an issue blank. Frankly, there just aren't that many different ways to build houses. After 34 years, I can write 1/2 a report for some houses just by knowing who built it. I inspect primarily with a voice recorder and camera then after the job, adjust any entries as needed and fill in the problem areas. I finish it on the lap top at home. It's all what you're comfortable with.

JLMathis

Reggie,

You'll get a mixed bag of answers here and you'll have to find what works for you. I personally don't like the idea of inputting info into any system on site other than the pictures I take, a digital voice recorder, and a small pocket notebook. This keeps me in information gathering mode and speeds up inspection times in the field for the most part. I can sort everything out at home without pressure from the whole circus.

I've tried a handheld and just felt too back-and-forth during the inspection and gave up on it. Several great software programs are out there; I happen to use Homegauge (one of Brian's sponsors). You should try a couple out and see what they offer.

A couple of years ago I decided to change software from Inspect Now which I found very time consuming and the tech support was expensive. I dedicated 2 days to researching different software and found that for the most part, People really liked what ever they were using. It's worth it to do your research. I ended up going with Home Gauge and I am very pleased with their software and service. I found their online tutorials and free tech support to be very valuable. They are constantly striving to improve the service and have never charged for updates. I left Inspect now because after a year of using the software, I called for tech support. They told me that they no longer support the version I was using. It would cost me another $800 to upgrade the software just so I could then pay for the tech support. I felt I owed it to myself to do some research before committing to Inspect Now. I'm glad I did. Home Gauge also has a 30 day trial so you can try it before committing. I Think all of the most reputable software companies have the same "try before you buy" program. Good luck

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

I don't have anything negative to say about HomeGuage other than this: In my area about 1/3 of the competition uses it and no one uses my choice-Palm Tech. My reports look and feel different. HG users tend to include a whole bunch of canned advice and canned pictures. I feel that it is very friendly to less than competent inspectors who can dazzle a client with a lot of stuff.

JLMathis

As Jeffery said.
    I've used Palm-Tech for a long time so I'm used to it. They have excellent support. I've called support while on the job and recieved answers and been talked through fixes to my issues but haven't had to do that in a long time. Also have on line tutorials.
    I like it, have looked at and tried others, still using PalmTech

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

with Palm tech they will send you out a free cd and then start calling you til you decide what you are going to do. it is a good way to find out what they are about but you have to do your own research as to what works for you. find out if they support older versions and how often they update and generally what are the costs.

I've been using Palm-Tech since I started in 2002 - No canned fluff or BS - average report is 12-15 pages of nothing but the facts / findings. Some of the other reporting software programs crank out 25-30 page reports for a 1200 sq.ft house - WTF?

I grew up without computers. Walked uphill in the snow to get to school. After school earned a living with my hands and never learned computers. I love palm tech!