Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Exterior Installation of Gas Flex Line

This can't be allowable. Is this stuff even rated for exterior exposure?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Exterior Installation of Gas Flex Line

Nick - It may be allowed to be outside but I would at least note that it is not protected from physical damage. What's it for?
    I saw a thread on another forum (gasp! I couldn't help it! Google made me look at it!) where an inspector said it was rated for exterior use, FWIW.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

John, it was going to a direct vent gas fireplace/stove. I've never seen these lines used for an exterior application. Today was the first.

From the Gastite installation guide: (not quoting the guide, the guide did not allow be to copy and paste)

4.3.6 Outdoor
    a) Outdoors - When installed outdoors ... (I.e., yes, it can be used outdoors.)
    b) Along side a structure - When installed along the outside of a structure (between the ground and a height of 6 ft) ... (I.e., if installed outdoors, it need to be run along the outside of the structure and shall be protected from mechanical damage inside a conduit or a chase. "A conduit or chase is not required if the tubing is installed in a location that will not subject the CSST to mechanical damage." - your photo shows an installation which needs to be in conduit or a chase. This also does not say it is allowed to be in contact with, or buried in, the ground.)

From the TracPipe installation guide:

SECTION 4.3 — ROUTING
    - 4. Through approved conduit under ground or under building slabs. When piping runs are located below grade or under a concrete slab, the TracPipe shall be routed within a non-metallic water-tight conduit. No tubing joints are permitted within the conduit. Gas piping runs beneath building slabs must be both sleeved and vented to the atmosphere. See Underground Installations Section 4.9 for underground use of TracPipePS and TracPipePS-II. TracPipePS and TracPipePS-II meet code requirements for underground and under building slab installation

SECTION 4.3B — OUTDOOR INSTALLATION ISSUES

The following section provides instructions for the use of
    TracPipe in systems in which portions of the piping are exposed to the outdoors as required to make connections to gas meters or appliances which are attached to, mounted on, or located in close proximity to the building structure. ANSI/IAS LCICSA 6-26-1997 contains test requirements determining suitability for exposure of CSST piping systems to outdoor environments. TracPipe is certified to this standard and is fully qualified for outdoor installations.
    - 1. When installed outdoors, the plastic jacketing shall remain intact as much as practical for the given installation. Any portions of exposed stainless steel shall be wrapped with self bonding silicone tape sealing the fitting connection to prevent later corrosive attack by acid wash or chloride based compounds. (See Figures 4-3A & 4-3B)
    - 2. When installed along the side of a structure (between the ground and a height of 6 feet) in an exposed condition, the TracPipe shall be installed in a location which will not subject the piping to mechanical damage or be protected inside a conduit. NOTE: For support and protection, Omega Flex recommends that outside runs along the side of a building be clipped securely to the wall or other structural component.
    - 3. TracPipe shall not be buried directly in the ground or embedded in concrete unless it is sleeved inside of a non-metallic (PVC or TracPipe PS or PSII Polyethylene) water tight conduit. The conduit shall be sealed at any exposed end to prevent water from entering. See instructions for underground installations Section 4.9.
    - 4. When installed underneath mobile homes or in crawl spaces, shall be installed in accordance with these standard outdoor instructions.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 04-02-2007 at 06:36 PM.
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry. And according to those guidelines, the exposed line needs to be installed inside a protective conduit as well as the underground section, neither of which were done.

Cool Re: Exterior Installation of Gas Flex Line

In addition to physical protection and support, that bushing where it transitions from 3/4"-1/2" is not allowed by codes. Since bushings are threaded inside and out, there isn't enough meat btw so they are prone to cracking and leaks. A reducing coupling should have been used.

All those rusty fittings should be brushed off and painted. I like cold galvanizing paint because it holds up well and closely matches the grey color of the meter.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Forget about the aerosol cans, those are just about worthless if you are trying to protect something.

Stick to the brush on liquid in the cans ... it actually leaves a reasonable coating of zinc behind.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Charles Sessums Guest

If I rember correctly specific fittings are required for exterior use. Ward flex is the product in my market.

Charlie Sessums
    Alpha Inspection - Your Personal Building Consultants
    Jackson, MS

Question Re: Exterior Installation of Gas Flex Line

I was on a inspection today (2005 home) that AHJ was waiting for the HVAC installers to come back and change out the wrong size breaker. This was a existing home that had the compressor and air handler in the "attic" stolen. So we had time to talk and he told me that on all new construction (not existing) they are requiring all flex gas pipe to be bonded to the service.

Has this been adopted in your area?

Also while we where standing in the garage I noticed the water heater was sitting in a cove on a 4" high offset to the garage floor slab. This was a electric water heater. I asked him shouldn't this water heater be 18" off the concrete. He said yes he would of flagged it. He said the original inspector may have thought otherwise because the code is vague on what a ignition source is. This guy may not interpreted it (electric) to be a source.
    What do you think?

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    they are requiring all flex gas pipe to be bonded to the service.
    This might be related to the CSST class action lawsuit about lightning?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    This might be related to the CSST class action lawsuit about lightning?
    Always WAS required, just was never enforced as no one 'thought about it' as being metal gas piping, which is it. But metal gas piping HAS BEEN required to be bonded back to the system ground.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Post Re: Exterior Installation of Gas Flex Line

One other thing: the gas meter should not be resting on the ground. In my service area, this could cost the home owner $500.00 or more to move the meter. My guess is that the grade has been raised at some point.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Randy,

Thats a rip-off in my opinion. The gas company here is responsible for the meter and its condition. The line from the meter to the house is a different thing.

Smile meter responsibility

Rick is correct: the meter belongs to the gas company. Your ownership beings at the "point of service", which is the piping coming out of the meter. Before the "point of service" is controlled by DOT Regs. while downstream of that point is governed by the IFGC or NFPA 54 plus any local ordinances.

I don't see the problem with the meter within 1" of the ground but the vent of the regulator should be protected from snow drifts and point down so rain/ ice cannot block it.

Randy, can you look into this and get more details? Intersting...

Keep the fire in the fireplace.