Thread: plug adapters

Jeff Eastman Guest

Default Re: plug adapters

For starters, does the AHJ allow that "dedicated" garage door outlet to be non-GFCI?

If not, and that is (should be) a GFCI, looks to me like that the adapter/transformer combinaiton prevents activating the GFCI's internal test circuitry.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 07-28-2007 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    For starters, does the AHJ allow that "dedicated" garage door outlet to be non-GFCI?

If not, and that is (should be) a GFCI, looks to me like that the adapter/transformer combinaiton prevents activating the GFCI's internal test circuitry.
    Quite to the contrary.

That outlet in 'on the ceiling', i.e., it is not considered "readily accessible" and thus does not require GFCI protection anyway.

The strange thing about that photo is - I see a duplex receptacle and I see TWO things plugged into it ... what to heck is that triple tap for anyway? Remove it. Problem solved.

Now, *IF* that is the ONLY receptacle in the garage, you have a different problem - where is the garage receptacle?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John Steinke Guest

I don't see a problem. Those adapters are listed, and it is quite possible to use them without creating a hazard.

I'm just curious what the transformer powers; I can't think of anything else you're likely to hang on the ceiling!

Jerry,

Per the model code, not, it's not. Per, for example the AJH in my community, that needs to be GFCI.... and a *individual* GFCI protected receptacle outlet is required at *each box *over a kitchen counter, and some other such things....)

A lot of times the adapters have a max watt rating.... the ones I've seen are around 600W. So, if they have a space heater plugged into it that would be wrong... Otherwise, as mentioned, they can be used safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Jerry,

Per the model code, not, it's not. Per, for example the AJH in my community, that needs to be GFCI.... and a *individual* GFCI protected receptacle outlet is required at *each box *over a kitchen counter, and some other such things....)
    Michael,

That's some strange wording there. Is that yours, or the code?

What that states is 'no duplex receptacle is allowed over the kitchen counter.

A GFCI breaker, or a GFCI receptacle protecting downstream receptacle outlets would fulfill that requirement for GFCI protection - as stated. Each receptacle outlet does not need to be a GFCI device.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

There doesn't appear to be a need for the adapter. As Jerry indicated, removing it solves the problem. I am more concerned with the breach of the fire barrier in the ceiling.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Philip Desmarais Guest

Michael Thomas: “If not, and that is (should be) a GFCI, looks to me like that the adapter/transformer combination prevents activating the GFCI's internal test circuitry.”

Apart from whether or not there is a requirement for the outlet to be GFCI protected, (which there isn’t in MD for this application), don’t forget there are GFCI breakers too.