Default code or not code

hello everyone,were here in michigan rewireing an old 20s house wanted to know if its against code to tap into an outlet to power up a ceiling lite.its in a bedroom?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: code or not code

The only way to know for sure is to ask the local code people if they would accept it or reject it.

permits please--that would answer your question

cvf

Ted Menelly Guest

Go for it.

Now is the wiring in the wall original. If it is I would not bother and have a new run to the light switch then the light.

Permit my but. Go ahead and burn the place down. Kidding.

If you know an electrician it is an easy task to rob power for a light from a receptacle close by. One light switch and light is not a permit situation as far as I am concerned if someone is doing it that actually knows what he is doing. The permit is to make sure the person is accomplished. They just want to hold your hand and make sure that one, you do not electrocute yourself and if someone is charging you for it , they know what they are doing. If they or you actually knows.....go for it. But then again, you are asking if it is OK

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 02-22-2011 at 09:18 PM.

ted

your wording sounds like you have hit the capt morgan today--spelling etc--if someone is REWIRING A 1920 HOUSE. they should be hiring a licensed electrician--who should be more then likely be pulling a permit to do work--if not call the city and check that he did---i believe or perceive rewiring means all new--all though he didn't say service entry---my BUTT--not my but Ted
    get a licensed electrician pull a permit and grt the job done correctly

cvf

yes ted all wireing was originally knob/tube all of that was tore out,everything is new rite from the serv.drop.we could run a seperate line to this room for the lights but its shorter to tap off a outlet,wire is getting very exspensive $400 bucks so far an thats for all 12/2 wireing,just looking to stay within code,

Ted Menelly Guest

Charlie....lets not go there. Permits for a single light....seriously. As long as someone knows what they are doing....go for it. If someone does not know what they are doing...then find someone that does. I am not sure if I can spell it out any simpler than that.

Life is wonderful. A permit for one light and switch...seriously. That is gov overload.

I am not sure why you have difficulty understanding what I am saying half the time. Is it because I believe that there is way to much gov overload in everything in life. If the guy does not know what he is doing then don't do it. I suggested that he did not know what he was doing because he had to ask.That brings it to someone that does...like he should.

What is so difficult to understand about that.

Permit for one light and switch....bull is what I say.

You opinion....My opinion. What is so difficult to understand about opinions. They are just like you know what and everyone has one.

2 story old house "rewired"?

I bet the ceiling lights in the lower level still has knob and tube.

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org