mathew stouffer Guest

Default Roof rafter installation

Best I could do with the pics in this space. Looks like this was going to be a hip roof in this area and there was some type of change on the fly . At first I thought these were simple temporary supports for the rafters but then I noticed the rafters were 2x9, 24 inches oc. Does not look like an approved installation. Could not measure the span but looked like 15'. This is and attic in single fam home built in 2000. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Re: Roof rafter installation

Here is the ridge beam.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

mathew stouffer Guest

Another pic.

I would probably mention some modifications like that to my client. Can't say if there is a real concern from the pics alone. It is hard to believe that whole adaptation was designed by a pro. I would recommend a search for the documents, permits, etc.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Wow, that looks like something you’d see in the deep back woods somewhere.

That has to be (is) amateur work. If the wood I’s were properly attached to the bearing and ridge plates then all those supports would not be required. Of course the I’s would need to be sized for the load.

This pdf explains using wood I beam for rafters. Start on page 18.

http://www.kentinternational.ca/brochures/Timberframe_System/TJI.pdf

JK gave good advise to go on.

mathew stouffer Guest

Looks like someone threw a bunch of pick up sticks in the attic Remember that game.

It would be correct to write that the installation has unorthodox and improper aspects to it and that it should be further evaluated. I wouldn't see a need to go any further than that.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

If you think that might have problems, take a look at this idea for a pitch change!

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I've seen this type of installation before on a school building. Normally you would sheath the valley (top cord of the lower wood trusses) and then install valley wood trusses on the sheathed lower trusses. Then you would have an engineered roof system.
    From what I can see in the pics there does not appear to be any restraint bracing, (diagonals) of the top cord bracing of the lower wood trusses. This is required in most building codes. See BCSI Guide to good practice for handling, installing, restraining & bracing of metal plate connected wood trusses or the HIB 91 addition for bracing wood metal plate trusses. I would also question the point loads from the verticle supports of the TJI's on the top cord.

I would strongly recommend an engineer evaluate this construction.

A building is only as strong as it's weakest structural link.

Mathew

My first guess is this was done on the fly without advice or approval. The concentrated loading placed on the engineered trusses below from the 2x4 supports from the upper roof is enough to throw the red flag. From a legal standpoint only an engineer can approve such modifications. If the upper roof was totally self-supporting and did not rely on the lower engineered trusses for support an engineer's involvement would not be needed.

Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com