Default It does nothing

this is a test

doesnothing.jpg

Inspection Referral

Default Re: It does nothing

I bet you flipped it anyway.

Stephen G Guest

Of course. In all appearances it did exactly as written, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    I bet you flipped it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    Of course. In all appearances it did exactly as written, nothing.
    I have two of those in my house, one in the master closet and one in the garage, and, to date, I have not found anything it does (other than move up and down ). And I've been in this house for 5-1/2 years now - I still have no idea what those two switches do ... maybe I should label them like that switch?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Stephen G Guest

....at the same time your neighbor cant figure out why for the last 5 yrs his OH garage door periodically opens and closes all on its own ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I have two of those in my house, one in the master closet and one in the garage, and, to date, I have not found anything it does (other than move up and down ). And I've been in this house for 5-1/2 years now - I still have no idea what those two switches do ... maybe I should label them like that switch?

That's a 3-way, there's probably another does nothing somewhere

Hey, I have one of those, too! Except flicking the switch makes my kitchen light flicker ever-so-briefly.

Also have one that trips my circuit breaker every time. Really should take care of that!

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Stephen G Guest

i dont know about that. How did you determine that?

Its located where you would expect a furnace shut off to be located, since they have a 3yo gas furnace with shut off just inside the service room. I figured it to be the now likely old shut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    That's a 3-way, there's probably another does nothing somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    How did you determine that?
    A normal on/off light switch of that style will show either "on or off" on the handle, as you know, but forgot.

What we call 3-way switches are sometimes on, sometimes off, depending on the position of the other switch. When we see a 3-way switch that does nothing, but has wiring installed to it, we know someone got their wires crossed. It will often do something alright, but only if the other switch is on to provide power to it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

that is justly callled a Realtorswitch,

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    A normal on/off light switch of that style will show either "on or off" on the handle, as you know, but forgot.
    Thanks John, you are much more diplomatic than I am

I see those some times in homes which have been model homes. Some where to outdoor lights on signage or flag poles which the builder had put up.

Rick

Stephen G Guest

Hey John,
    I know how its wired, I know how it works. I didnt know that there was a visible difference between a on off switch and a 3 way.
    Thanx for trying to cover me thinking I forgot. I dont play that game. I did not know.

Now I am 2% smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post

What we call 3-way switches are sometimes on, sometimes off, depending on the position of the other switch. When we see a 3-way switch that does nothing, but has wiring installed to it, we know someone got their wires crossed. It will often do something alright, but only if the other switch is on to provide power to it.

Stephen G Guest

Mr Thompson,

Just by writing that you lose out on any diplomacy.

Thanks John, you are much more diplomatic than I am

Sorry Stephen, no offense meant, just being silly. We're all here to learn. I learn something new every day on this site.

Stephen G Guest

Well done, now thats diplomacy. Your right, we do learn everytime we come here.

Sorry Stephen, no offense meant, just being silly. We're all here to learn. I learn something new every day on this site.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

It might also be an intentional multi-location switch but inadvertantly substituted a 4-way switch (which belongs between 3-way switches) at either end. You'd have to visualize and count the screw posts. Oftentimes mixed up loose in the bins (3-ways & 4-ways) at the big box stores.

Not an "indicating" switch, as has been pointed out, but does not necessarily mean it IS a 3-way switch, could just as easily be a 4-way for example (there are possiblities as well) but would not be correct as a "disconnect" as it is not indicating.

One thing which I have encountered many times, is a multi position switch loop which controls an exterior receptacle which is used to power a transformer for low voltage landscape lighting system often times equipped with a photo eye - the switch locations providing for an override to easily turn off the system at night when desired for example a lighted area near a master bedroom patio, etc. when the occupants desire to be outside without the benefit or annoyance of being lit up by the landscape lighting. Similar situation encountered for receptacles installed in not-so-obvious places used for holiday lighting/decorating.

Other possibilities which come to mind:
    • Initially a 3-way switch loop for controlling a lighting outlet receptacle which the HO replaced one of the switches elsewhere with other than a 3-way switch, or
    • A proper switch loop exists to control half (split yoke) of a duplex receptacle which duplex receptacle was replaced and not split (tab removed) and is in error.
    • A simple 3-way switch loop exists which was not wired correctly - at present a series of changes in the both switch positions must take place to close the circuit.
    All three above are common DIY and Handyman mistakes when replacing, sometimes for "decorating" choices (style or color) or for having inadvertantly painted same while decorating (replacements common even if switches and receptacles havent failed).

If powered or not (wiring present) needs to be investigated and either identified, corrected, or properly decommissioned and removed. Blank covers are readily available.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 12-06-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Stephen G Guest

Thanks guys. Its funny, because a little picture created all this buzz. I will not look at light switch the same .