Default hi from st johns newfoundland

just starting out in the inspection business,got a long way to go! but, i am ready for the challenge

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: hi from st johns newfoundland

Welcome Danny, this is a great site for someone starting out.

Welcome Danny and congrats on your new endeavor. This site is a great place to learn and get advice when you need it. Some of the help can be rather harsh so you need to have some thick skin if you are going to engage in discussion. I rarely post but often read what others are saying. Many times someone will post a PDF of something to support what they are saying. I started a folder on my computer and save everything that I can. It is great reference info and I forward it to my clients when it pertains to them. Good luck

Robert Smith Guest

Welcome Danny

I want to say thanks for welcoming me into the mix ,as you might expect i have a lot of questions!
    Q#1; were i am new in the business,some of my client have a questionable look on their faces when i tell them "i am just starting out" but ,when i tell them that i have been a journey carpenter for the past 15 years and i have been trained extensively in all components of a home they seem to settle a little,but still i see that expression of doubt.
    Is there another approach i could use to grab their trust up front without trying to B.S my way?

Newfoundland, ain't that some sort of dog or pony? Welcome
    First off, don't tell your clients you are just starting out. Scrap that now, don't bring it up again.
    You experience isn't based on starting out now. Your experience is based on your years as a carpenter. What is new now is how you look at a building. You don't have to BS your clients. When they ask about your experience, they are to some extent asking how long you've been an inspector. However what they are really asking is how do you know about buildings and what to look for, why should they trust you to know anything. Being able to better assess a building comes from years of working in them, not from reading a book. Tell them you've been a carpenter, built homes, whatever it was.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

thanks for that Markus, being a little nervous i have a tendency to have verbal diarrhea i will have to train myself to zip it until i am asked.

oh! by the way Markus ,you are correct, here in Newfoundland we have a large dog (on average ,100 lbs plus ) with long shaggy black fur and loves to swim in the cold north Atlantic .also we have a pony which is a miniature size pony that is a little bigger than the Newfoundland dog .when i figure out how to put pictures in i will post em.

Hello, Danny. How you greet your people has a lot to do with your success as an inspector. If you're nervous, stop talking, take a breath, maybe the clients have a question.
    You may feel new to the job, but you know houses, so be confident that you will see a problem if it's visible. Oh, yeah, try to get a look at the invisible stuff too. Use the resources here and on the other boards to get answers.
    Remember that the Canadian Electrical Code if much different than the goofy stuff you will see here.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca