Thread: Slooooooowwww

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Slooooooowwww

This is normally the time of year when things start picking up. I'm still waiting for that to happen. Had to call the office line today to make sure it was still working.

Inspection Referral
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Slooooooowwww

Ditto

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    ...Had to call the office line today to make sure it was still working.
    Thanks for reminding me. I forgot I HAD an office line.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Weather has warmed up here in the south, and so have the calls.

Let me rephrase that
    My business has picked up...
    From worse to just bad.

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 02-24-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Use this time to catch some extra education. I'm taking a BPI course in the afternoons and getting an inspection in the morning. Not busy enough to risk losing a job and when I tell the refering agent where I'll be, they're impressed. So I'm kind of marketing too.
    Check out the local Community College and see what they might have.

JLMathis

Take heart guys the Spring thaw has begun. I've done more business in the last three weeks than all of Dec. and Jan combined; not that it was very hard to beat!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

We are still in a deep freeze up here in MI and soon my assets are going to be frozen if I don't get any business soon (and pay the bills).

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

While I am far ahead of Dec and Jan, that's not really saying anything. I did get a telemarketer this morning at 7:45, so I know the phone works.

Ted Menelly Guest

As you see Jims post it is not just state to state or even area of the country but it is a close as a 40 mile distance in areas that are doing better than others.

I did not do the greatest in Dec or Jan but I survived and then it died in Feb after the first week.

One thing I noticed is that one persons doing great or not so great or bad is not another persons. Some folks are still doing one a day and they call that bad when most would fell pretty special getting one a day. . Right now 5 or 6 a week would be a God send for me.

Busy in my neck of the woods! 5 on the schedule for next week already and all are larger homes...

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

That's it Scott. Rub it in. Ruuuuuuub it in.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

It's a weird business.

January was DEAD for me.

February is already the best "winter" month I've ever had, and next week is starting to book up.

Perhaps the market really has turned a bit.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Real up and down here as well. December was great, January and February were pretty dead. Hopefully March picks up quickly.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Take heart guys the Spring thaw has begun. I've done more business in the last three weeks than all of Dec. and Jan combined; not that it was very hard to beat!

Same here Jim, I've had a great start for the year. Actually my Jan. and Feb. are the best I've ever had. Lets hope it last for several months.

rick

We often march to a different beat up here in Oregon (and, in more ways than just home sales ) but, similar to most others, it's been rocky. Dec/Jan weren't terrible but not great either. Feb started scarily slow but has picked up pretty nicely over the last week or so. I actually squeaked out 10 last week.... 6 this week and I have a few for next week.

At this rate I think I may be able to switch back to good beer pretty soon. Drinking Natural Light all winter has really sucked And the kids might get some real diapers... cleaning and re-using the plastic grocery sacks has really been a drag. I haven't promised them anything yet, though

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    ... Actually my Jan. and Feb. are the best I've ever had...
    Me too!

Oh, you mean home inspecting...

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I should look at the bright side. With all this extra time on my hands, my guitar playing has gotten better.

I had to look something up this morning from 2007. We did 46 inspections in January of 07. I got a sick feeling.

I do have one today, so i'm happy for that. Got a lot of empty slots for next week though.

We're steady...about 1 to 2 a day 6 days weekly. Thermography makes up the difference.

I had 2 yesterday, one for today.

www.dapkusinspections.com
    www.chicagoinfraredthermalimaging.com
    Infraspection Institute Certified Level III Thermographer # 8510

Can anyone say roller coaster? I book 3 and cancel or postpone 2. <sigh>

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ditto GA...

Ted Menelly Guest

I had 2 last week and then I got bailed out with one yesterday and 2 today. In all it was a shocker to pretty much fill the weekend. That will tell you how slow it has been in where my marketing gets to with out paying hundreds if not more a month for the marketing. So far a few maybes for this coming week but as Gunnar said, you book some and lose some. I actually have a couple on paper but the final bids have to be worked out.

The internet used to be big time for me even after I moved to Texas 7 years ago but now that everyone has a website and there are twice as many inspectors, all with websites, my marketing area has been cut way down. The only way to reach beyond my small area is to pay many hundreds per month. There is only one problem with that hundreds and hundreds a month............................. See above!

Typically it is slow in Jan but I was unusually busy. Feb usually has a blip but I haven't had that this year and then things take off after the weather warms and the Branson Mo. tourists return. I think the sky rocketing gas prices are making home buyers nervous. I know the potential for 5.00 a gal. gives me the shivers.

Alpha Home Inspections
    417- 334-7047

Things have hit another slow grind here in PA. Website hits way down and call volume down a lot as well. Hoping for a turnaround this week.

Anybody else experiencing the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Things have hit another slow grind here in PA. Website hits way down and call volume down a lot as well. Hoping for a turnaround this week.

Anybody else experiencing the same?
    We've had a super busy spring here.... I'm busier than I've been for the last couple years but am still holding my breath.

Our prices have fallen so far that if two kids from Burger King pool their money they can qualify for a loan on a 4,000 sq ft new house

Cranking them out here in Dallas. People are moving here in droves it appears. Real estate prices are great and plenty of big businesses moving to Texas it appears.

I'm taking a break next week though and headed out to Laguna Beach CA. for a little R&R.

rick

Hockey has been pretty good. The Canucks beat the Hawks! They squeaked a win over the nasty Predators.
    Catching all the Blue Jays games. Jose Buatista hit 3 homers yesterday!

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

John,

My nephew moved to Vancouver last September and works for Pixar. He told me last night that he had really got into Hockey and was explaining how the people there in Vancouver was more into the sport more so than people here in Dallas being Cowboy fans.

He is really enjoying his new home there and really likes the people there.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    John,

My nephew moved to Vancouver last September and works for Pixar. He told me last night that he had really got into Hockey and was explaining how the people there in Vancouver was more into the sport more so than people here in Dallas being Cowboy fans.

He is really enjoying his new home there and really likes the people there.

rick
    When the home team has a shot at the Cup, everybody's a fan. It's Stanley Cup fever in that town right now. Your son's lucky to be there and have a job, too.

Vancouver's football team is the BC Lions. There are only 8 teams in the Canadian Football League. But somehow BC never wins the Grey Cup. The Canadian game has a longer and wider field with only 3 downs. Maybe they could win more if they switched to the NFL?

One job today, four more for this week. That's more like it.

Last edited by John Kogel; 05-17-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: update
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca