Question 70's house no foundation

Hey guys,
    Visited a home today, entered the crawlspace and saw this. I have never seen this. Pier supports for three of the 4 perimeter walls and no additional block. Lots of water in here. My main concern is about the foundation, or the lack thereof. double 2x8's around the perimeter and 2x8's for the main beam. Perimeter joists setting on the outset of the piers. Particulars of the house.1400 sf ranch 4:12 pitch, trusses. negative grade throughout, standing water
    Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    David D. Whitt
    1st Steps Home Inspections

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: 70's house no foundation

We see a lot of that in Calif. You need to state what you saw and then refer it over to a contractor or engineer for more information.

State it as sub-standard and further inspection are required.

These can be up dated to current standards. San Francisco has a lot of these old brick foundation and stem wall system.

Best

Ron

search for Pier and Curtain Wall

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Is that a mud tube in the first pic? With all the replaced framing I would suspect past infestation and damage and would want copies of permits to do the repairs as well as paperwork on past termite treatment with transferable warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Is that a mud tube in the first pic? With all the replaced framing I would suspect past infestation and damage and would want copies of permits to do the repairs as well as paperwork on past termite treatment with transferable warranty.
    Hey Wayne,
    At best the repair work was done by a hack of the highest degree. There are more problems than the ones I sent originally. I did not notice any tubes. I will look closer at my other pictures to be sure.

Ron,
    I do not know why I would call it sub-standard. There are no cracks visible in the home, the roof looks level from a distance, there are some areas where the brick has been displaced (and will be mentioned in the report), there is standing water, negative grade, no vapor barrier, tree roots growing through the crawlspace, but I would like more information on the subject to confidently comment on it. I would appreciate your insights and experience on why it would be sub standard.

Bruce,
    I cannot find any good information on pier and curtain foundations (which is exactly what that is) that I can put into my record/article file. Can anyone assist me? I do not see this type of installation, by that fact i have never seen that type of installation, so any and all information would be helpful.

I am recommeding it be further evaluated because the perimeter rim joist is not setting on the middle third of the pier. There may be other things I need to say but need the research material on it.

Thanks guys. I am sending the report on Monday the 28th of February, so any help for this report will be most welcome.
    Here are some other picts.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    David D. Whitt
    1st Steps Home Inspections

Chapter 4 - Foundations

R404.1.5.3 Pier and curtain wall foundations. Use of pier and curtain wall foundations shall be permitted to support light-frame construction not more than two stories in height, provided the following requirements are met:

1. All load-bearing walls shall be placed on continuous concrete footings placed integrally with the exterior wall footings.

2. The minimum actual thickness of a load-bearing masonry wall shall be not less than 4 inches (102 mm) nominal or 33/8 inches (92 mm) actual thickness, and shall be bonded integrally with piers spaced in accordance with Section R606.9.
    3. Piers shall be constructed in accordance with Section R606.6 and Section R606.6.1, and shall be bonded into the load-bearing masonry wall in accordance with Section R608.1.1 or Section R608.1.1.2.
    4. The maximum height of a 4-inch (102 mm) load-bearing masonry foundation wall supporting wood-frame walls and floors shall not be more than 4 feet (1219 mm).

5. Anchorage shall be in accordance with Section R403.1.6, Figure R404.1.5(1), or as specified by engineered design accepted by the building official.

6. The unbalanced fill for 4-inch (102 mm) foundation walls shall not exceed 24 inches (610 mm) for solid masonry or 12 inches (305 mm) for hollow masonry.

7. In Seismic Design Categories D0, D1 and D2, prescriptive reinforcement shall be provided in the horizontal and vertical direction. Provide minimum horizontal joint reinforcement of two No.9 gage wires spaced not less than 6 inches (152 mm) or one 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) diameter wire at 10 inches (254 mm) on center vertically. Provide minimum vertical reinforcement of one No. 4 bar at 48 inches (1220 mm) on center horizontally grouted in place.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I would be concerned about the piers, lack of lateral support in even a mild earthquake, but that may not be a problem in your area.

The lack of drainage is a serious concern. All that moisture makes for an unhealthy home. So perimeter drains need to be installed, and that means directing the water somewhere underground. That can become a problem on a small lot with no storm drain system between the lots.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca