Jim Klein Guest

Default What is this doohickey?

Hi,
    I came across this today and did not know what it was. It says "Neptune" on it, I know there is a Neptune Outdoor lighting fixture company, but all I can figure that this is then some kind of blanking plate? It was mounted about 4 feet off the ground next to a gate on the side of a house.
    It's not critical but I'd like to know...
    Thanks,
    Jim

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: What is this doohickey?

Your pic is really small and won't enlarge so it's hard to even tell what it is. But it looks similar to the remote water meter reading devices I see on houses in Pennsylvania.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

But it looks similar to the remote water meter reading devices I see on houses

You may have something there, there is a Neptune that manufactures water meters.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Jim Klein Guest

Hi,
    That might be it! The actual meter is in the crawlspace accessed from inside the house via a hatch. The wiring going to this is small, kind of like sprinkler wire. The black thing is a little bigger than a business card, Neptune is on the bottom edge and located OUTSIDE the fence, right above the gas meter. Sorry for the small pic, it wouldn't take the fullsize one and I probably over-adjusted...
    Thanks,
    Jim

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Jim Klein Guest

Hi,
    No, that's not it. I resized the picture again, maybe this will be clearer...
    Thanks,
    Jim

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Klein View Post
    Hi,
    No, that's not it. I resized the picture again, maybe this will be clearer...
    Thanks,
    Jim
    It's a remote water meter readout transmitter.

Ted Menelly Guest

Hi,
    That might be it! The actual meter is in the crawlspace accessed from inside the house via a hatch. The wiring going to this is small, kind of like sprinkler wire. The black thing is a little bigger than a business card, Neptune is on the bottom edge and located OUTSIDE the fence, right above the gas meter. Sorry for the small pic, it wouldn't take the fullsize one and I probably over-adjusted...
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Water meter in the crawl space? Is that something you see often?

Jim Klein Guest

Hi,
    Thanks for the ID, I appreciate it!
    Water meters are in crawlspaces or basements quite often out here...
    Thanks,
    Jim

Ted Menelly Guest

Hi,
    Thanks for the ID, I appreciate it!
    Water meters are in crawlspaces or basements quite often out here...
    Thanks,
    Jim
    I have seen them countless times in basements in the north east but never in a crawl.