Default Revenge of the low flow toilet

Revenge of the low flow toilet

Low-flow toilets cause a stink in SF

The city has already spent $100 million over the past five years to upgrade its sewer system and sewage plants, in part to combat the odor problem.

Revenge of the low-flow toilets | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Coming soon to your local sewer system!!!

This is also known as "the law of unintended consequences".

Less water = less flow = more sludge = more stink = more money for the roto-rooters!!!! and the bleach manufacturer$$$

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Charles @ PreVue Property Inspections, Santa Fe, NM
    http://www.prevuepropertyinspections.com/
    "How can someone with glasses so thick be so stupid?"

Default Re: Revenge of the low flow toilet

"Officials claim that the stink has been made worse by the increase in the number of installed low-flow toilets, which reduce the amount of water in the sewage system that otherwise would dilute the smell. It is a tragic irony that the city's plan to address a nuisance created by positive conservation efforts is to pollute our water system with toxic chemicals."

That's all very well, butt they haven't proven the toilets are to blame. An antiquated sewer system is easier to believe. The reason I'm saying that is that people take showers and baths, more frequently and in greater numbers than ever. I'm on a septic tank. If my low-flush toilet wasn't clearing the pipes, I'd be noticing it. I also inspect homes in urban and rural areas and have never been aware of stinky problems with the low-flush toilets. Except of course, those earlier models which didn't flush properly.

It's an excuse for poor maintenance, and it seems they've found a typical band-aid solution.

I expect in this century, Canada will be under pressure to ship some of our excess water down your way, California. And Arizona, where people wash their cars with prehistoric well water.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    "Officials claim that the stink has been made worse by the increase in the number of installed low-flow toilets, which reduce the amount of water in the sewage system that otherwise would dilute the smell. It is a tragic irony that the city's plan to address a nuisance created by positive conservation efforts is to pollute our water system with toxic chemicals."

That's all very well, butt they haven't proven the toilets are to blame. An antiquated sewer system is easier to believe. The reason I'm saying that is that people take showers and baths, more frequently and in greater numbers than ever. I'm on a septic tank. If my low-flush toilet wasn't clearing the pipes, I'd be noticing it. I also inspect homes in urban and rural areas and have never been aware of stinky problems with the low-flush toilets. Except of course, those earlier models which didn't flush properly.

It's an excuse for poor maintenance, and it seems they've found a typical band-aid solution.

I expect in this century, Canada will be under pressure to ship some of our excess water down your way, California. And Arizona, where people wash their cars with prehistoric well water.
    No doubt the sewage systems are old; however, are you saying the City of San Fransisco doesn't know what it's doing? What a shock?

Maybe the problem is all those McDonald's they were trying to get rid of!!

"Dung from Burgers and fries are clogging the sewer."

"Down my way" we are more educated than any where in the US regarding water usage. Our development codes require water catchment.We have the lowest water usage per family in the country.

We also have the most expensive water in the country. Our water comes from multiple sources. If you saw the cars here... nobody is going to the car wash very often.

There is a treaty between Canada and the US regarding water diversion especially the Great Lakes. Illinois was going to "sell" water to the southwest via the Illinois River (lake Michigan). It was stopped by the treaty.

Keep your stick on the Ice! Go Red Wings!!!

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Smith View Post
    No doubt the sewage systems are old; however, are you saying the City of San Fransisco doesn't know what it's doing? What a shock?

Maybe the problem is all those McDonald's they were trying to get rid of!!

"Dung from Burgers and fries are clogging the sewer."

"Down my way" we are more educated than any where in the US regarding water usage. Our development codes require water catchment.We have the lowest water usage per family in the country.

We also have the most expensive water in the country. Our water comes from multiple sources. If you saw the cars here... nobody is going to the car wash very often.

There is a treaty between Canada and the US regarding water diversion especially the Great Lakes. Illinois was going to "sell" water to the southwest via the Illinois River (lake Michigan). It was stopped by the treaty.

Keep your stick on the Ice! Go Red Wings!!!
    That is because you live in the middle of a freaking Desert where no one should live just like Las Vegas ..... because there is no freaking water in the middle of the desert. It all comes from other places.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Sure, when all else fails, blame it on the toilet.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Cool Re: Revenge of the low flow toilet

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    That is because you live in the middle of a freaking Desert where no one should live just like Las Vegas ..... because there is no freaking water in the middle of the desert. It all comes from other places.
    Santa Fe, is the oldest capital in the US, 400 years and we've done pretty well so far here in the high desert. Saving water is part of the culture.

Population is 70,000
    State of NM 2 million (18 per sq mile)

I think we'll have water longer than you will at the rate your growing!!!

DFW population 7 million
    Texas 25 million (105 per sq mile)

BTW: All of west Texas' water comes from the Rio Grande and the Pecos; the runoff from Sangre de Christo mountains (begin of Rockies).

So it better keep snowing up here in the high desert so West Texas can keep stealing our water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Oh, and there's no desert in Texas, That is refreshing to know!

News Flash!!! There is as much water on the planet as there ever was and ever will be!
    Low flush toilets may save you money but don't mean s**t for the environment (sorry for the pun). The water "shortage" is as real as "man made global warming".
    As Charles eloquentoy stated, "unintended consequences"

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Oh, and there's no desert in Texas, That is refreshing to know!

News Flash!!! There is as much water on the planet as there ever was and ever will be!
    Low flush toilets may save you money but don't mean s**t for the environment (sorry for the pun). The water "shortage" is as real as "man made global warming".
    As Charles eloquently stated, "unintended consequences"

I don't visit those areas. It is dry enough in the plains. As far as west Texas getting most of their water from some where else, they get most from under the ground they live on and all that melting snow that naturally floats their whey fro that western high plains/mountain area west of them.

I almost moved to Phoenix AZ. I remember it well. I was in my early 20s. I was standing on a patio in a friends back yard. I dropped a piture of tea on the patio and then went in the house to get something to clean it up. I came back out to the patio and the dry, so, so, so dry 114 degree patio had already evaporated/sucked in, the entire gallon of tea. My friend said that if I thought that was funny, watch this. He turned the hose on and laid it in his sandy yard. I think the water maybe extended the length of the stream but then disappeared into the sand no matter how long he let it run. Never a puddle. That is what that area and areas like it are doing to the water supply. Sucking it away.

I guess it has to be somewhere down there under that desert. it has to stop sinking sometime and pocket somewhere.