Daniel Leung Guest

Default What culture on some flappers of toilet tank

Do you know what is that?
    First time saw a light green culture is growing on flappers of "Kohler" toilet tank in this 12-years new house. (The first 3 on upper floor, the 4th in main floor powder room, the last 3 in basement. 4 fully covered, 1 at beginning and 2 clear).
    The entire house using copper pipes. Same water source for flushing and drinking - city supply chlorine treated snow water with an in-house filter (the blue cylinder in the first photo).

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: What culture on some flappers of toilet tank

Is this a new house or is it 12 years old?

Daniel Leung Guest

Correction: that is a 12 years old house.

James Duffin Guest

The most common cause I see for damaged flappers and corrosion on the metal in toilet tanks is the drop-in chlorine tablets used to sanitize a toilet. I recommend the ones that hang on the side of the tank and only discharge sanitizer when the toilet is flushed.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

If it were a well supply I would look to build up of lime or calcium?
    Despite the filter, it looks like there is sediment in the tanks.
    Is the snow water supply held in a lime stone quarry?

I'm thinking it is mineral deposits settling out of the water, notice the tank bottom around and past the flapper has the same deposits.

The bottom of the tank near the tank fill is kept relatively clean as the discharging water keeps the deposits stirred up there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Darrel Hood Guest

Those flappers all look like normal wear and tear to me. What is the importance of what the stuff is? If the valves work, leave em alone. If not, they are cheap to replace.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Hood View Post
    Those flappers all look like normal wear and tear to me. What is the importance of what the stuff is? If the valves work, leave em alone. If not, they are cheap to replace.
    The apples fall from the apple trees every day, it is "normal" for thousands years in general. But Issac Newton saw that was "abnormal" and discovered the law of Universal Gravitation & three Laws of Motion.
    That is the difference for discovering the knowledge. That is the reason why many scholars and members of the general public considered him to be one of the most influential people in human history.
    Hope all home inspectors have good eyes and spirit of problem solving. Of course, doing thorough inspection every day!

Darrel Hood
    For me it is a potential indication that that a water treatment system may be needed. Why? If there is a mineral buildup in toilet tank then there is a buildup else where in the house, including but limited to faucets, dishwasher, clothes washer and etc. Buildup will effect the valves and water delivery systems. Not min SOP but beyond.

Darrel Hood Guest

I understand and accept the reply about the benefits of expanding knowledge.

Given that the house is 12 years old, I would think I was doing a disservice to the client if I mentioned adding water processing equipment based on this evidence.

Darrel Hood

I understand and accept the reply about the benefits of expanding knowledge.

Given that the house is 12 years old, I would think I was doing a disservice to the client if I mentioned adding water processing equipment based on this evidence.

Darrel Hood
    If the deposits are in fact is lime or calcium then it will affect the systems in the property. Though this may not be an issue in TX it is in other locations. I have been trying to talk a neighbor into putting in a treatment system so I will not have to be replacing her dish washer every 4 yrs. The float valves have problems every 1 or 2 yrs. Kitchen faucet lasts 10 or less.

The disservice would be not to determine what the substance is. Or at least male the client aware that there may be an issue depending on what the substance turns out to be.

You do not have to recommend a treatment system, but should point out that there is something that you can not identify, but should be identified. If nothing else it is a CYA statement.

Darrel Hood Guest

Gary,
    If I were seeing short equipment life like you describe, I agree that a problem exists and should be identified. However, in the posts and pictures are 12 year old toilet tanks with some evidence of build up. The quantity visible in those pictures appears to me to be normal wear and tear (with one exception which I would probably report as near end of life).

My area actually has very hard water and water treatment equipment is quite common. I will make this statement to clients, especially clients from other areas. However, I don't think there is enough time in a day to go through a 12 year old home to perform exacting analysis and report to the client on every example of "normal wear and tear".

A couple of the inspectors on this forum have stated that they commonly do multi day exhaustive inspections for higher prices than market prices for home inspections. If I paid for that service, I may expect the "normal wear and tear" detail. As it is, I give every client everything I can within the time I can devote to their inspection. The time scheduled is always at least several hours and may be more based on their description of the home prior to the inspection. Rarely is the time devoted, in my business, several days.

Darrel Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    The apples fall from the apple trees every day, it is "normal" for thousands years in general. But Issac Newton saw that was "abnormal" and discovered the law of Universal Gravitation & three Laws of Motion.
    That is the difference for discovering the knowledge. That is the reason why many scholars and members of the general public considered him to be one of the most influential people in human history.
    Hope all home inspectors have good eyes and spirit of problem solving. Of course, doing thorough inspection every day!
    Daniel, I agree, you've discovered something that is abnormal.
    A bit of sediment in the tank is normal, but that growth on the edges of the flappers is not. If this home was on a private well, I would recommend a water test, and the addition of filters.
    If the home is on a public water supply, most likely in your area, it may indicate contamination in the supply pipes. This could be affecting the whole neighbourhood to some degree. It is worth pointing out and calling for more info.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Timothy M. Barr Guest

It is called copper alge Alge lving off the copper in the water
    common also in swinming pools, who people fill there pools with copper plumbing