Jon mackay Guest

Default Gas fireplace vent termination

This is a vermont castings Model RDV40. (40,000 BTU)

The vent terminates within 5' of an adjacent wall.

I thought that the vent at the exterior would have to rise at least 2' above any adjacent wall within 10' but the installer disagrees and points to the manual where it states it can be installed within 2' above any adjacent wall within 18".

Wouldn't the ANSI Z223.1 override this or am I wrong?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    OREP Insurance

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Gas fireplace vent termination

This is what the NC Fuel Gas Code says. It look like the manufactures installation instructions prevails.

605.1 General.
    Vented gas fireplace heaters shall be installed
    in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions,
    shall be tested in accordance with ANSI Z21.88 and shall be
    designed and equipped as specified in Section 602.2.

Cool Re: Gas fireplace vent termination

Looks like a bastardized installation. The termination appears to be a 4" aluminum chimnney liner stuffed down inside a horizontal wall termination mounted vertically. Better get a qualified pro in there with the listed instructions.

Per the manual, 24" above roof and 18" from sidewall. Listed instructions trump codes. Codes are for use when listed instructions cannot be located or do not exist.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Jon mackay Guest

Default Re: Gas fireplace vent termination

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    Looks like a bastardized installation. The termination appears to be a 4" aluminum chimnney liner stuffed down inside a horizontal wall termination mounted vertically. Better get a qualified pro in there with the listed instructions.

Per the manual, 24" above roof and 18" from sidewall. Listed instructions trump codes. Codes are for use when listed instructions cannot be located or do not exist.
    Bob, would the instructions for the aluminum liner possibly change the clearances?
    From what I understand, they installed the liner inside a flue that was previously used for a wood stove.

Cool Re: Gas fireplace vent termination

This stove can be installed as a B-vented appliance or direct vent. What they may have been attempting is to make a hybrid by using a single exhaust liner with the surrounding air to the DV. Since I cannot see the stove from here, I cannot advise further on what you've got but regardless, I think all you need to do is say the stove should be inspected by a pro, that termination appears to be modified and the stove should be installed per the listed instructions then leave it to a pro to sort out the mess. God knows what else lurks in there.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.