Steve Su Guest

Default Heat vent required in bathroom ?

Wanted to know if a heat source is a requirement. There is plenty of obvious ventalation available. A heating/air conditioning duct was eliminated during a kitchen reno.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Heat vent required in bathroom ?

Heat vent required in bathroom ?

No. At least not here in the states.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Others here know code much better than I do, but I think it depends on the size of the room. I see alot of homes that have a register in the 9x10 master closet but not in the 3x5 toilet room.

A heating source is not required within the bathroom here in Massachusetts, as long as the existing heating system is capable of heating all rooms, including the bathroom.

Steve Su Guest

Thumbs up Re: Heat vent required in bathroom ?

Thank you for your quick answers. I had the idea we were ok with no vent. I was in doubt after speaking with my partner, it has to do with how many square ft.
    We will use this forum again. Great job guys !

Sam Sloane Guest

Not required but the duct shouldn't have been removed. No heat in the bathroom during the winter is brutal.

2006 IRC R303.8 Required heating.

When the winter design temperature in Table R301.2(1) is below 60°F (16°C), every dwelling unit shall be provided with heating facilities capable of maintaining a minimum room temperature of 68°F (20°C) at a point 3 feet (914 mm) above the floor and 2 feet (610 mm) from exterior walls in all habitable rooms at the design temperature. The installation of one or more portable space heaters shall not be used to achieve compliance with this section.

--------

Habitable space: A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com