Thread: Shoe Review

Default Shoe Review

I go through a couple of pairs of shoes a year. I have tried them all, walkers, hikers, loafers, workers. I think I finally found a really good pair. I recently ordered a pair of Dr. Martens with a lifetime guarantee.

I got the oxford style, they have fairly soft soles with a heel (good to keep from slipping off ladders) and a non-aggressive tread that doesn't track alot of dirt in the house.

They are comfortable and the guarantee seems good:

"We have added weight and thickness to the inner core of the sole and used a highly resilient and supple leather called Hardlife. With a little help from you, these boots and shoes will give you years of wear. Even so, they will eventually wear out. When they do, we will repair or replace them. We will go on repairing or replacing them for the rest of your life – guaranteed."

Maybe the last pair of shoes I will have to buy? What do you think?
    Sizes are UK, order 1-1/2 size smaller. I had to send the first pair back.
    So far, so good.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Shoe Review

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    I go through a couple of pairs of shoes a year. I have tried them all, walkers, hikers, loafers, workers. I think I finally found a really good pair. I recently ordered a pair of Dr. Martens with a lifetime guarantee.

I got the oxford style, they have fairly soft soles with a heel (good to keep from slipping off ladders) and a non-aggressive tread that doesn't track alot of dirt in the house.

They are comfortable and the guarantee seems good:

"We have added weight and thickness to the inner core of the sole and used a highly resilient and supple leather called Hardlife. With a little help from you, these boots and shoes will give you years of wear. Even so, they will eventually wear out. When they do, we will repair or replace them. We will go on repairing or replacing them for the rest of your life – guaranteed."

Maybe the last pair of shoes I will have to buy? What do you think?
    Sizes are UK, order 1-1/2 size smaller. I had to send the first pair back.
    So far, so good.
    What do they cost? I had a pair of Dr Martins and they weighed more than any shoe I had ever had. Seems like that rubber sole they use is what makes the shoe so heavy. Granted it is a great shoe.

Me, I wear a few styles of Merrells. They have a soft/sticky rubber sole that is great for getting you on roofs that you really have no business getting on!
    Their negative is with the treads on their soles, they do collect mud/dirt. One reason I change shoes or wear covers in the home.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

May sound cheesy but I've had good luck with Payless shoes. I get the black dress style. They have a soft sole and are great on roofs. I stay away from wearing boots with lug soles.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Scott- $130

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Payless - $30

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I had foot problems for about 10 years.
    Poditrist said I had heel spurs
    Every time any doctor ask me " How do I feel?", I always give the same answer, "My foot (or feet) hurt".

About a year ago I needed shoes but did not have much money.
    I went to WalMart and bought a pair of $29.95 "Brahma Boots" work shoes.
    My feet still bother me but nowhere anything like before.
    I now get a new pair every 6 months.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I wear Rockport dress shoes. They hold up very well, and are very light.
    If I remember right from my backpacking days...1 lb on your feet is the same as 3 lbs on your shoulder, or something like that. I always try to get the lightest shoes I can while still keeping the arc support and stiff heel counter. I have plantar fasciitis so ladders and walking on joists/trusses keep me in pain.

Rockport walking shoes. Been getting the same shoe for at least 15 years. Great shoe that I get about a year out of before rotating in a new pair. One big reason is they have narrow widths and half sizes. Kind of tough to find anything in a 12 1/2 B !
    I wear them on roofs and get better traction than with athletic shoes. About the only time they slip is when the granules give way. After about an 8/12 pitch I get hinky anway.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

James Duffin Guest

My shoe of choice is Justin boots. Usually last about 2 years. $145.00

Darrel Hood Guest

Sperry top siders or copy cat. Usually $45 - $60.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Hi, ALL &

As far as those 'Docs' & continual replacement, am thinking - "who WOULDN'T want a Customer for life ?! "

What are the Terms, though (ie. you pay most, each time & they discount a bit for your loyalty) ???

The small print is often the "interesting" part of a transaction...

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Mark Mustola Guest

I have always liked a good pair of work boots. Currently I wear a pair of Timberland's with Nubuck leather.

Between dew in the summer and snow in the winter I value something that is 100% water proof.

When I'm inside the house I cover my boots with slip resistant tevyk shoe covers from Grainger's

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Duxbury View Post
    Hi, ALL &

As far as those 'Docs' & continual replacement, am thinking - "who WOULDN'T want a Customer for life ?! "

What are the Terms, though (ie. you pay most, each time & they discount a bit for your loyalty) ???

The small print is often the "interesting" part of a transaction...

CHEERS !
    Glenn, you pay the shipping to them, they pay the shipping back. Check the website.

Jody Humbert Guest

Smile Re: Shoe Review

I agree with Scott P. Merrells are a great shoe. Easy on and off and the soft rubber soles are great. Two pair(same style) different colors for me last all year.

Personally, I've had great luck with New Balance sneakers - soft cushy insole, no heel, no black marks on the hardwoods and they stick to roofs pretty darn good - 6/12 or less of course. $39.00 and up, depending where you shop.

Alex Damgaard Guest

If you walk roofs I highly recommend investing in a pair of Cougar Paws. These shoes are designed for roofers. They have a removable sole attached with velcro that wear out over time. The soles are flat and soft. You can buy them on line or at ABC Roofing supply. They will greatly increase your margin of safety. They must be poorly marketed. Few of the trades that walk on roofs have heard of them.

Alex Damgaard
    Austin Area Inspections