Default ac circuit breakers

I wanted to know what the more experienced inspectors thought of this. This box was replaced last year because of melted circuit breakers with what you see here. The homeowner said he had high electric bills at the time. He asked me to check it out because he's had a few months of high bills again. My question is since I can clearly see the grounding conductor has heat damage should it not have been replaced. I was also puzzled by the type of romex that went to the air handler was not consistent with the age of the home. When I blow the picture up it looks like charred residue near the grommet. Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Cool Re: ac circuit breakers

Refer to NEC 440.

Is that breaker rated for HACR?

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Default Re: ac circuit breakers

Good question Bob.....it's not labeled as such....my understanding is that that designation was no longer a requirement.....

Smile Re: ac circuit breakers

I did some checking and it appears you are correct. Apparently, current breakers meet the listing requirement for HACR so the designation is no longer required.
    Thx to a JP post from 2007 on this. Now I gotta notify my HVAC friends on this change.

Learn sumptin' new everyday here.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.