Thread: Log Homes

Default Log Homes

Hello to all,

I have been inspecting homes for 6 years now and have never inspected a log cabin. Tomorrow will be my first. Are there any tips or things I should look out for that anyone knows of that would be helpful? Your comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    This is my first post...newbie to InspectionNews.

Thanks,

Scott Storlie

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Log Homes

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Storlie View Post
    Hello to all,

I have been inspecting homes for 6 years now and have never inspected a log cabin. Tomorrow will be my first. Are there any tips or things I should look out for that anyone knows of that would be helpful? Your comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Storlie
    I have attached what I use and what I use when I teach. I also give this to folks when I inspect a log home. Log homes are unique and have unique issues. My first suggestion it to stay up tonight and Google and research all you can on log homes. What I'm providing you has been compiled over several years and it combines information from many sources. It will help you but you also need to know about log homes.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Scott Patterson; 03-10-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Thanks Scott. Great info...exactly what I need. I will take your advice and study up tonight. I have already been online to check out loghomeology.com. which was helpful but not from an inspection standpoint like yours. Thanks a lot as it looks like you took great time and effort to compile such as list.

James Duffin Guest

My three biggies have been rot, water infiltration, and shoddy workmanship from DIY'ers.

Darrel Hood Guest

Scott,
    Thanks for the "checklist". It is excellent.

Darrel Hood
    DILIGENT PROPERTY SERVICES

Thank you, Scott. May I keep a copy of this pdf?

My personal feeling is that if you have limited knowledge of log buildings, you should defer the work to someone who knows more.
    The liability is probably not worth the price of one inspection. If you're in log cabin country, different story.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    My three biggies have been rot, water infiltration, and shoddy workmanship from DIY'ers.
    So, basically, it's like any other house

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Storlie View Post
    Hello to all,

Thanks,

Scott Storlie

So Scott, how did the inspection go ?

I would not say that log homes are just like any other house.

Their construction require techniques that are not practiced in regular stick building.
    You have to really understand/or have built a log home to actually know what to look for. There are quirky things that can happen.
    Logs settle and logs shrink unlike other types of construction. The settling and shrinking along with the methods of connection and attachment can lead to real problems as time goes by. Its the little signs of trouble that lead to the big troubles that will develop in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    So Scott, how did the inspection go ?

I would not say that log homes are just like any other house.
    Garry, 2 smileys meant that was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    There are quirky things that can happen.
    Yeah, like the log house swallowed Scott, and we'll never hear from him again.

What I don't like about logs is that all the exposed wood is sapwood, the softest part of the log. There are always cracks, and those are an open invitation for wood-boring insects. The cut ends of the logs absorb water like there's no stopping it. Sapwood, cracks and moisture = trouble..

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

John,
    Yea I know.
    Not really directed at your comment. Just as a reinforcement.
    Log homes can be a real Pandora's box of problems. So many little things that point to large problems.

Here is a free, online Log Home Inspection course.

It is open to non-members at no charge.

It is approved in Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington State, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Sorry.. for not responding sooner. The market here is starting to go nuts. All went well with the log home inspection, expect for a little de-winterization hick up by the LA. I had gone online as Scott suggested along with his guideline I studied up and went on line to: http://www.loghomeology.com for correct terminology and treated it pretty much like a regular home inspection. What John said was true. All the exposed beams had significant rot over its 20 years. Lots of checking but overall very interesting. I took my time to make sure all was covered. It will probably be the only one I ever inspect again in my career as they are rare here. Thanks to all for you advice and support. I plan to take this free seminar for more insight in case they become more popular here. Thanks Lisa for sending the link and all for their time. Hope to repay you back sometime on future posts...

Thanks,

Scott Storlie