Default How To Identify A Meth Lab

Once you know what to look for it should be easy to identify a Meth Lab.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Default Re: How To Identify A Meth Lab

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    Once you know what to look for it should be easy to identify a Meth Lab.
    Thanks for the info. Just the other day I had an inverster that i'm working with ask me how to ID a meth lab. .Off the top of my head was not able to give him a good answer, I knew I could find an answer on this site.

If I recall there are other ways mentioned somewhere on this site. . Does anybody recall them ?

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Thanks for the info. Just the other day I had an inverster that i'm working with ask me how to ID a meth lab. .Off the top of my head was not able to give him a good answer, I knew I could find an answer on this site.

If I recall there are other ways mentioned somewhere on this site. . Does anybody recall them ?
    Yes. I do.
    Oh, you want me to post them? Sorry, no can do. Off the top of my head:

Strong chemical odors
    Empty chemical jugs and containers
    Discolored pots and pans used for cooking the crap
    Used chemistry equipment laying around
    Shady characters with schitzy vibes hanging out in the house.

That's about it in a nut shell, and that's a pun, too.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Glenn Clements Guest

Sorry this may be a little late to help, for future reference :

The most common chemicals used to start the meth making process are over-the-counter cold and asthma medications. which contain ephedrine or pseudoephedrine as decongestants or stimulants, the presence of large quanities of the empty foil packs of cartons. Other items to look for are:

Agricultural Grade Anhydrous Ammonia commomly stored in propane tanks, a dead give away is the ammonia turns the brass gas valve blue or blueish green. Match books or road flares, the red phosphorous is extracted using common solvents; mineral spirits, alcohol, starting fluid, gun cleaning solvent, acetone, etc., look for glass containers with a red liquid. Yellow stains on walls and floors or in sinks, tub or cooking pots, the remains of lithium batteries. Other common chemicals are sulfuric acid, lye,Colman Fuel, Heet and Iso-Heet, Iodine (both crystal and liquid).

If you discover these in a structure get out and call law enforcement, don't try to be a detective. The long term effects of breathing the fumes from a meth operation can have devastating health effects.

Thank, man. Do you need to measure anything or just pour it all together?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

My wife ran over a meth lab in the field when she was mowing with the riding John Deer tractor. She came is and said there were bottles and a torch, cans, burnt grass. She scattered it all over the field when she hit it. I bet they were ticked.

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

Dan asks
    Just the other day I had an inverster that i'm working with ask me how to ID a meth lab. .Off the top of my head was not able to give him a good answer, I knew I could find an answer on this site.

Here, about 1/2 way down.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Eric Russell Guest

While all this material is...or...was good, the method of choice is now the "shake and bake," or the "one pot" method. The cooks, because of the portability and conciseness of this method, prefer to do it all in one container...most often a 2-liter soda bottle. They don't even have to grind the pills up anymore...just pour em in, cover with 3 cans of starter fluid...aka ether... add about a cup of sodium hydrochloride, add the chopped up lithium strips, put the lid on, and shake. Now, the trick is to remember to "burp" the bottle every so often so the pressure won't build up. It all happens in the bottle...no flame...no"cook." More times than not, they're in the backseat of a car or, for those less fortunate...in a backpack. No more labs. Much harder to find, unless they forget to burp it...then BOOM! There are still houses out there that were used as meth labs, but hardly anymore labs...at least in East TN. How do I know, you ask. Been involved in the clean-up side of it as a firefighter for several years. We go to school on this stuff all the time.

Stephen J Stokes Guest

Go here: Forensic Applications Consulting Technologies, Inc. - Home and look for meth lab. I recommend it to all my realtor friends.