Thread: Holy BLEEP!!!

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Holy BLEEP!!!

I don't have them often but I had a "holy #%^&" moment at my morning inspection today.

While I was looking at the furnace and flue pipe arrangement in the basement, I saw some of the standard defects I usually see; staining on the flue pipe and furnace inducer fan, unlisted draft stop material at the basement ceiling, and insulation in the contact with the flue pipe. When I'm in the attic, similar stuff; staining on the flue pipe, insulation in contact with flue pi..........huh???? What the fu........????? Holy %$&*!!!!

The owner was there so I asked her if they ever had any work done on their furnace flue pipe and she said they did 11 years ago. Hoo boy.

At some point, whoever made these "repairs" changed out part of the type B-vent (how much I don't know) and replaced it with the flexible aluminum duct material you typically see used on clothes dryers or HVAC duct runs. The whole mess was connected with duct tape and the B-vent run was strapped directly to and in contact with a truss framing member with a coat hanger.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Holy BLEEP!!!

That's just sick.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Tell me about it. Somebody actually paid for this booby trap.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

That's really a disgrace. Once again a great inspector saves another buyer.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I contacted the buyer about this issue to see how things were going. She said the seller had an HVAC "pro" look at it and say it was OK. EEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!! So she got a company of her choosing to look at it and they agreed it was all wrong.

That first HVAC guy and whoever did this need to find something else to do for a living before they kill somebody.