Thread: GFCI Problem

Johnny Lopez Guest

Default GFCI Problem

Hope someone here can help answer/solve this issue.

Went to replace an old GFCI receptacle that would trip may be once every 3 to 4 weeks. It also has a line out to downstream outlets. Installed the new one, turned the power back on to the new GFCI and everything seems to be working even to the downstream outlets (Green LED was on), and so i pressed the test button on the GFCI, all power was shut off as expected including to the downstream outlets, but when i pressed the reset button only the GFCI outlet had power and not the downstream outlets (green LED light off).

Turned power off to the GFCI and rechecked all connections, then put the receptacle back into the box, turned the power back on, and the same thing happened. I replaced the new GFCI with the old, and everything seems to be working again.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: GFCI Problem

I Think you may have wired it backwards.
    Line side to load, and load side to line.

Bottom terminals= line, line feed wires
    Top terminals= load, connect to downstream wires feeding other outlets.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I Think you may have wired it backwards.
    Line side to load, and load side to line.

Bottom terminals= line, line feed wires
    Top terminals= load, connect to downstream wires feeding other outlets.
    Older GFCI's were wired opposite of today's GFCI's. It is common for people to copy the exact wiring from the unit to the new w/o noticing the load side and the line side. Rick probably nailed the solution. If you still have a problem I suggest you find an electrician.

Johnny Lopez Guest

Yea... i thought that it might have been miswired, but i did double checked everything and it was hooked up correctly. No problem now, since i really didn't need the receptacle protected because we disconnected the waterfountain that was previously using that particular outlet. One of the downstream outlets requires protection, but it already had a GFIC. Bottom line is that i just used a regular electrical outlet and everything is working fine now.

Thanks everyone for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Lopez View Post
    Yea... i thought that it might have been miswired, but i did double checked everything and it was hooked up correctly. No problem now, since i really didn't need the receptacle protected because we disconnected the waterfountain that was previously using that particular outlet. One of the downstream outlets requires protection, but it already had a GFIC. Bottom line is that i just used a regular electrical outlet and everything is working fine now.

Thanks everyone for the response!
    Water fountain outside, you should have a GFCI on that outlet if it is outside, even on an older house.

The reason we suspect a miswired GFCI is simple.
    You say the GFCI would not reset after you tripped it. Yet the receptacle had power. That is wrong.

If it is defective, take it back to the store. The manufacturers need to test their products better.

A GFCI downstream from another GFCI will not reset unless there is power coming to it. In other words, the unit closer to the source must be reset first.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Johnny Lopez Guest

I guess i wasn't clear... I have completely removed the all the wiring related to the water fountain that was previously connected from the outside timer, to an internal outlet and of which was GFCI protected. Since the outlet was no longer being used by any external powers, i just replaced the GFCI with a non-GFCI outlet.

And yes, i agree it sounds like the GFCI i was attempting to install was defective.

Thanks again for the help!