Default Unknown Pipe in basement closet

Ok guys, this is my first post about a real inspection. I found these two pipes in a basement closet. Not in the corner of the closet but right in the middle of it. On the other side of the wall to the right is a full bath, thats where one of the pipes (one without the check valve) terminates to. The other goes straight from the floor to the ceiling. Looked like a metal cover on the floor where they terminate to. The septic runs are in another room and are not in the floor, so I was thinking sewage ejector pump, but I have never seem one. Any idea what this could be??? Also, do you guys do anything with well tanks, as far as inspecting them? Sorry can't get the pics to upload! It is 2 PVC 2" pipes one goes up the other goes to wall. Check valve on the one going up.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

Default Re: Unknown Pipe in basement closet

Your pictures did not show up with your post.

Sounds an awful lot like an ejector pump. The pipe in the wall is likely the vent, and the one with the check valve will be the discharge. You should hear the pump pretty clearly when you are using the lower bathroom, especially when it stops.

There a few other things to check out. I'll look into the lift tank if it's easy to open, but not if it takes a socket wrench and five bolts to open up. It's not that interesting to me. \

You said well tank. Do you mean the pressure tank next to the well pump? I just note the physical condition, like is it rusted out at the bottom, etc. I also tap it with a tool to make sure the diaphragm is still intact and take the pressure readings. I don't get many wells, so there are probably others who have a better protocol.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Thanks Jim, helps a lot. That is what I meant about the tank for the well. I did the things that you said but wanted to check to see what you guys thought. As far as the floor pump, it is covered by carpet and I could barely see the metal top. Thanks again!!!

E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
    Thanks Jim, helps a lot. That is what I meant about the tank for the well. I did the things that you said but wanted to check to see what you guys thought. As far as the floor pump, it is covered by carpet and I could barely see the metal top. Thanks again!!!
    Do a search here and elsewhere for sewage ejector systems.

Learn the differences between sump pump, ejector pumps and effluent pumps.
    Sumps are for ground water, ejector pumps or grinder pumps lift basement sewage up to the level of a sewer pipe system, effluent pumps are used in septic tanks.

Well pumps are another field of study. If you do rural properties, you need to know basic systems and what goes wrong with them. Also filtration systems and what they look like.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

For starters:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com