Default Barometric Damper

Are they required for Oil Fired Boilers?
    Found my first (Oil Fired) Boiler without one (barometric damper).....

Other concerns present related to the heating system and flue ......but curious about lack of barometric damper .....
    Code requirement???
    Manufacturer Requirement????

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Barometric Damper

NFPA 31

6.4.1 (in part)- A damper is required 'unless the appliance design, conditions of installation or combination therefore preclude excessive chimney draft or the appliance is listed for use without one.'

or

M1802.3 (NJ IRC)(in part) 'Draft regulators shall be provided for oil-fired appliances that must be connected to a chimney'

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

You didn't make any comments about the second picture of the chimney. Did you have any concern about that as well? (I would).

Were you able to get a look at the top of the chimney on the roof? Is it an unlined chimney? (I would assume that it is). Looks like someone had to replace the top section of the chimney from the attic through to above the roof line, due to extensive deterioration. Based on that, I would then also be concerned about the interior condition of the rest of the chimney.

Comment for chimney was also included within the report.
    Level 2 inspection on all chimneys at a minimum.

(1) Chimney (Boiler)
    - Inspection of the chimney is limited to visible exterior components only unless otherwise stated.
    - Prior repairs are noted to the chimney visible from the attic area. Recommend further review of the chimney and liner.
    - It is recommended that a Level 2 Inspection of the chimney be conducted at this time (prior to closing).

Ashley Eldridge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hagarty View Post
    Are they required for Oil Fired Boilers?
    Found my first (Oil Fired) Boiler without one (barometric damper).....

Other concerns present related to the heating system and flue ......but curious about lack of barometric damper .....
    Code requirement???
    Manufacturer Requirement????
    The manufacturer will normally require it. It is typically a code issue when the code requires the appliance to be installed in accordance with its listing, which may require it. Since the primary function of the barometric damper is to stabilize the draft and not allow excessive draft, specifically, it is a common fixture on naturally aspirated oli-fired appliances.

I would also echo the sentiments about performing a level 2 inspection on that chimney. It looks like it could have several problems.

Ashley Eldridge
    CSIA Director of Education
    Chimney Safety Institute of America
    ashley@csia.org

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images