Default "The seller says..."

I think this needs its own topic.

To lead off:

"Hi -- sellers claim that rust/corrosion on attic furnace is due to condensation from the a/c forming when attic temp is very hot -- 90 or above. Seems to make some sense that a/c with cooler air coming in contact with very hot air would cause condensation and dripping.

Your thoughts?

Also, furnace is electric, thus explaining their huge electric bills. Their heating bill combined (gas and electric) from last year is higher than my gas bill for heating a much bigger house. Any ideas?

Sellers agreed to have sewer rodded prior to closing, but not videoed. Have had no problems in the years they have been in the house; sidewalk was in that condition when they moved in."

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: "The seller says..."

That looks like a 90+ gas furnace to me with the PVC pipes. And the staining looks more consistent with a condensate leak from the PVC furnace flue pipe. Whose words are these regarding the conditions? The seller's agent?

That appears to be a black iron gas line passing through the left-hand side of the furnace cabinet.

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 03-13-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

based on pix and limited info

M1411.5 Insulation of refrigerant piping. Piping and fittings
    for refrigerant vapor (suction) lines shall be insulated with
    insulation having a thermal resistivity of at least R-4 and having
    external surface permeance not exceeding 0.05 perm [2.87
    ng/(s . m2 . Pa)] when tested in accordance with ASTM E 96.

uninsulated refer lines will reduce AC efficiency and waste energy

high utility bills would require an audit to assure the cause

i do not hypothesize
    as to what caused the sidewalk deflection is anybody's guess, just note trip hazard potential and move on

rodding drain will not repair the sidewalk and how certain can you be that a drainline leak caused the settlement

lack of proper soil compaction or roots is the most common cause of deflected flatwork around here, beside our expansive clay

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Sellers agreed to have sewer rodded prior to closing,
    Wonder if they will hit that sign post ... it is right at that dip.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

In the picture it looks like the condensate line is running up the wall so it will not drain properly.

Also if the furnace is a electric furnace and not a heat pump the buyer should be advised to check the power bills so they will not get sticker shock.

The seller is right - it's from condensation. The problem is that there's a drainage concern.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

1) Quote is from an e-mail from the buyer.

2) It's a gas, not electric, furnace - sellers appear to be convinced it's electric, though.

I did a double take when I first read the e-mail though - could I have missed a 2nd furnace somewhere?

But a quick look at the pic of the electrical panel sans deadfront confirmed that there was no 240V breaker unaccounted for... not that I would have missed the power for a "mystery" furnace when I opened the panel in the first place.

3) I recommend running a camera down ALL sewer lines as a building that age unless the seller can demonstrate same in last year - if the sellers are willing to have someone out to rod it, the additional cost to camera the line should be minimal.

The sidewalk dip is just one more reason to camera the line.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 03-13-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    Michael Thomas

Sellers agreed to have sewer rodded prior to closing, but not videoed. Have had no problems in the years they have been in the house; sidewalk was in that condition when they moved in."
    They won't let the buyers have the sewer line scoped or the buyers are expecting the seller to pay for that inspection??
    I agree with Nick, looks like a gas furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    They won't let the buyers have the sewer line scoped or the buyers are expecting the seller to pay for that inspection??
    I agree with Nick, looks like a gas furnace.
    The buyer was going to pay to have it scoped.

Of *course* it's a GFAF... that's what makes the seller's insistence that it's electric post-worthy.

Michael Thomas

The leaking is from the A-coil pan. If it's an older metal pan it's rusted out. If its a newer plastic pan, its tilted bad, cracked or set too low for the furnace temperature and become warped.
    I can easily see that drain assembly slowing down drainage enough to let water overflow the pan.
    As far as the sidewalk, could be sewer, could be pour install. If there aren't any signs of dipping in the yard or parkway, I'd say bad install, rain washout, etc.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Buyer just e-mailed -she paid for a plumber to scope the sewer - they could not get the camera through the blockage.

I did a different house Tuesday were the seller said there had never been a problem with the sewer - I eventually found the clean out .. along with a tag wired to it where the plumber had written a dated notations of what he had discovered the three times he had rodded the sewer...

"Disclosure? I don't need no to show you no stinking disclosure!"

Michael Thomas

I'd bet that given the brown color of the rusted area, it's combustion condensate leaking out of the exhaust vent pipe.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

see this a lot around here---this is what i think

cvf

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Buyer just e-mailed -she paid for a plumber to scope the sewer - they could not get the camera through the blockage.

I did a different house Tuesday were the seller said there had never been a problem with the sewer - I eventually found the clean out .. along with a tag wired to it where the plumber had written a dated notations of what he had discovered the three times he had rodded the sewer...

"Disclosure? I don't need no to show you no stinking disclosure!"
    Essentially, they're all liars. "That's not a problem" should send up an immediate red flag!

If the seller does not allow the line to be scoped then the seller does not have anything to disclose.

Seller could have had the walk cement jacked back into place and you may not have had any clue as to a problem. And the seller would still not have anything to disclose on the sewer line.