Thread: Pest control ?

Default Pest control ?

Some of you pest control guys might be able to answer this.

I have rental property.
    Can I, as the LL, spray for pest at my rental property, or am I required to use a licensed PC company?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: Pest control ?

If you own the property, you can do as you choose. Now if the city requires you to show documentation of pest control as been done at the home, your going to need a receipt from a Licensed Pest Control company.

If your also DIY, you should follow label directions.

rick

Thanks Rick

Just normal monthly PC.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't required to use a PC, and that I am not doing something wrong by doing it myself.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Thanks Rick

Just normal monthly PC.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't required to use a PC, and that I am not doing something wrong by doing it myself.
    The one advantage of a licensed pest control around rental property is the insurance for the chemical app...

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

Thanks Rick

Just normal monthly PC.

Anything you use must be documented as to what it is and the proper application. Someone gets sick for what ever reason due to your pest control and they may just own your home.

Quarterly Pest Contro is pretty cheap no matter what state you live in. For the liability of the whole thing I would certain pay the small fee and have them come by every three months.

Quarterly Pest Contro is pretty cheap no matter what state you live in. For the liability of the whole thing I would certain pay the small fee and have them come by every three months.

The price was not bad $50 per month, but it was every month with a 6 month min, not every qtr.
    The bad part was getting them out there and having to meet them to let them in.
    I'll ask around if every 3 months is available.

Ted Menelly Guest

The price was not bad $50 per month, but it was every month with a 6 month min, not every qtr.
    The bad part was getting them out there and having to meet them to let them in.
    I'll ask around if every 3 months is available.
    Monthly is not necessary unless you get a bad case of roaches that you are fighting with. Other than that those chemicals all have a residual. You also do not want base board jockeys where they walk around the entire unit spraying the baseboards down. Minimal is best. Some glue boards in appropriate places. If you look at the reality of it they go there every month and pump away. Not necessary at all. If they were doing it for 50 per month, depending on the size of the home, could be 60 dollars a quarter or even 50 dollars a quarter for a savings of 400 per year. As far as meeting them there the tenants are there at some time of day. Liabilty insurance and an honesty bond goes a long way. Let them meet the pest control man/woman and just have them charge a card or bill you. No reason to go at all once a schedule is set up.

Monthly service should be to inspect,identify any developing problems, and to treat strategically in order to minimize pesticide usage.

Sam Sloane Guest

I used to do maintenance at an apartment complex. We did the spraying ourselves. Just make sure you're familiar with the product first. Some tenants have pets and you do not want to spray anything that may be harmful.

[quote=Sam Sloane;162538]I used to do maintenance at an apartment complex. We did the spraying ourselves. Just make sure you're familiar with the product first. Some tenants have pets and you do not want to spray anything that may be harmful.[/quote]

All pesticides are harmful I thought. If not, they'd wouldn't get rid of the pests.

Janni Juhasz Guest

Exclamation Re: Pest control ?

Actually the legality is different in each state as to whether or not you as a LL can apply pesticide yourself. In Ohio if the property has 4 units or more you are required to hire a licensed PCO. In Michigan you are required to hire a PCO period. Also as a LL you are NOT allowed to apply a restricted use pesticide unless you yourself are licensed.

Minimal pesticide use is the right way to go. If you hire a real PCO he will tell you he does "Integrated Pest Management"

I know I'm a litlle late on this thread, but hope it helps.

When I was in the business, I considered myself an "Exterminator". I never cared much for the term Pest Control or Pest management. Everyone I ever met wanted them all dead, not controlled on a month or quarterly program or even managed. We went in there and knocked them out dead. We treated with the best products, did exclusion work, and charged them a hellacious fee in doing so. Our clients were usually once a year and that was it. Who wants to see a Pest control man every month?
    Not me... I don't see family that often.
    rick

"I considered myself an "Exterminator""

Growing up we (my family) said, "The bug man". Now everything has to be PC so it's "The exterminator".

Janni Juhasz Guest

Alot of people still want them dead, dead dead! But there are some people who are really weird about you laying alot of pesticide around their house. I literally walked into a guys apartment once who had cancer, had an ashtray on his coffee table the size of a basketball (full of butts I might add) and asked me if "that stuff" was going to hurt his lungs! I told him it was safer than all those cigerettes he was smoking!

My husband owns a pest control company and I am a licensed "Bug Woman" myself. When he shows up at a customers door he still says he is the "Bug Man" and most people still call him that.

We have clients who want to see the bug man every month, some who want him quarterly, bi-annually and some are just annually. I would say the majority of them are quarterly though.