Default 800 Amp Service Panel / 950 Amp in Disconnects

I posted pictures of an electrical service panel spec plate on the outside of a commercial building. The panel specs list 800 amp max. There is a large 400 amp disconnect at the top of the panel. Two 200 amp disconnects, and one 150 amp disconnect (950 amps total). The 400 amp disconnect appears to disconnect power to panels on the 2nd floor. One of the 200 amp disconnects, and the 150 amp disconnect shut off power to panels on the 1st floor. I could not identify what the last 200 amp disconnect serviced (maybe an outbuilding). These all appear to be independent disconnects (i.e. the 400 amp disconnect at the top does not turn off power to any of lower disconnects). Is this too many total amps for the panel?

Indidual disconnects:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...Photos/400.jpg
    Two 200s
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...tos/Two200.jpg
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...Photos/150.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: 800 Amp Service Panel / 950 Amp in Disconnects

The total of the capacity of the breakers in a panel has (almost) nothing to do with the panel's rating.

An example of this is that it is entirely legal to have 42 20 AMP breakers in a 200 AMP panel. What those breakers supply (the load on each of those 20 AMP circuits) is what determines if the panel is overloaded. If each circuit powers a 7.5 watt appliance lamp there isn't a problem. If, however, the load on each circuit is a 2400 watt heater and they are all in use at the same time, there's going to be some problems.

The only way to know if the setup is OK is to have a load calculation done. Even this may not tell you a lot if equipment supplied by the remote panels has been changed or removed as often the case in a commercial building. Electric services and panels in commercial buildings are usually built around what is going to be installed by a given occupant with little or no thought to future use (nobody knows what the next occupant might need)

Ron Bibler Guest

I would not open a panel that large without a licensed electrical contractor on site. Thats just me other inspector may open large panels like that.
    for $ 125.00 i can employ a licensed electrical contractor with the proper insurance and attire PUT SAFETY FIRST.

I do the same with Large HVAC System, Large Fire systems and Large roof.

Best

Ron

Bill, The one difference I see is that in a 200 amp panel (with 42 20 amp breakers) there is one main disconnect that would trip if the total power usage ever exceeded the panel rating of 200 amps. In this panel, there is the potential (however unlikely) that 900 + amps could be pulled out of the panel and none of the main disconnects would trip (i.e. 390 from the 400, 190 from each 200, and 140 from the 150 = 910). I am trying to get an idea, if based JUST on this fact, it would be reasonable to recommend a licensed electrician, further evaluate and make adjustments / repairs as needed.

Believe it or not, most commercial/industrial services can have the problem you're worried about happen. Services are designed with something called load diversity in mind, which is an assumption that all of the maximum loads won't be applied at the same time.

The issue here is that whether this is a problem with the building in question is going to be tough to answer if the building is unoccupied as many of those loads aren't going to be present because they are partially dependent on what the occupant hooks up. THAT is the point in time when the question can be best answered.

Whether or not what's there now can cause issues and is done per code can certainly be determined. If you're evaluating for a client that's going to buy or lease they need an electrician involved in the process. Any business moving into a building without having the electrical supply evaluated for their purposes is naive in believing they can just move in and hook up and all will be OK.

Bill, Thanks for the information and insight.

Not necessarily in regards to this specific service, but in general, are you saying a condition could exist in which the panel rating could possibly be exceeded (sum of all main disconnects), but it be considered acceptable and or meet code, because of "load diversification"? In other words, it is not necessary to limit the over current protection within the service panel, to the rating of the panel because an assumption is made that the load with not reach that level?

The short answer is yes, but everything has to be evaluated on a case by case basis. Many times panels are supplied with larger feeds than they might otherwise have simply so they can start motor loads without breakers tripping. The branch circuit breakers for these circuits are also likely to have larger breakers on a given size wire than you're used to seeing.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I don't understand your posts, your post title, or question(s)!

You have pictured a 208Y/120 3-phase 4-wire panel with a 400 A service disconnect for the 208Y/120 3-phase (A, B, C +neutral) 4-wire service.

Apparently your panel has 3 circuit breakers below theservice disconnect, each protecting a 120/208Y feeder to remote panels: two 200A and one 150A, each being 120/208Y (poly {split} phase) feeders, such as AB, BC, AC (CA). There is no 950A traveling on any leg! protected at 400A or 350A max depending on which split legs of which phase(s).

What was YOUR question again?

Taking off the dead front cover is warned left to those qualified. Polyphase and polyphase Wye outside of your confort and training level, leave to a non-residential electrician.

By the way, in this case there ARE Neutrals (they carry current).

Do you have an understanding of the difference between 120/240, 208Y/120 and 120/208Y?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-17-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    I don't understand your posts, your post title, or question(s)!

It doesn't seem like anyone else is having issues.

You have pictured a 208Y/120 3-phase 4-wire panel with a 400 A service disconnect for the 208Y/120 3-phase (A, B, C +neutral) 4-wire service.

That isn't what the 400 AMP breaker seems to be according to the OPs post. If he provides additional pictures and/or information that indicate that the 400 AMP breaker is the ONLY service disconnect THEN the answer changes. Unless you have info that hasn't been presented how have you determined this?

Apparently your panel has 3 circuit breakers below theservice disconnect, each protecting a 120/208Y feeder to remote panels: two 200A and one 150A, each being 120/208Y (poly {split} phase) feeders, such as AB, BC, AC (CA). There is no 950A traveling on any leg! protected at 400A or 350A max depending on which split legs of which phase(s).

The OP determined that the 400 AMP breaker, the two 200 AMP breakers, and the 150 AMP breaker feed separate loads and that tends to indicate that the service has FOUR disconnects (of six permitted). Simple read, no big words.

What was YOUR question again?

Ugh, he asked if given the combination of breakers present in the panel it could be overloaded BECAUSE it appears there are a total of 4 breakers acting as service disconnects that total more than the panel rating. Again, no big words here. Read the whole thing again slowly. All the information is there.

Taking off the dead front cover is warned left to those qualified. Polyphase and polyphase Wye outside of your confort and training level, leave to a non-residential electrician.

Where in any part of the post does anyone say that cover was removed?

By the way, in this case there ARE Neutrals (they carry current).

This matters how to the OPs question?

Do you have an understanding of the difference between 120/240, 208Y/120 and 120/208Y?
    This matters how to the OPs question?

Here Bill I can assist HG with the math.

400+(2*200)+150=
    simplified to 400+400+150=950

800 amp rating from panel label.

The OPs question was very easy to understand and perfectly clear from the title.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Certainly conflicts with this info posted by the person that inspected the actual installation.

(i.e. the 400 amp disconnect at the top does not turn off power to any of lower disconnects).

gene schafer Guest

There are certain times that a inspector should not open a box like this. Only an qualified electrician. It is not worth your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    Here Bill I can assist HG with the math.

400+(2*200)+150=
    simplified to 400+400+150=950

800 amp rating from panel label.

The OPs question was very easy to understand and perfectly clear from the title.
    Alrighty then, I see where even JP can make a math error.

Unfortunate I "missed" or rather misread the "ML" designation in the cat. number...at first glance of the imbedded photo of the panel label, I couldn't at first easily enlarge it for easy reading as I could easily following the other direct links. Finally saw all that the panel label indicated, clearly and expanded, whoopee. Its a S4 MLO (main lug only) Sentron Power Panel, 800 Max Amps 208y120 3-ph 4-wire Wye secondary 60" High panel having Silver-plated CU Buss-Bar(s) top feed surface mount Sentron MLO Power panel. Have no idea if in larger can with feed through.

No primary overall protection on board, possible line side.

However, still don't see any concern or even how Jim Port, Bill K or the OP can "add" and come up with anything exceeding 800 Max Amps with three 2-pole circuit breakers 200A, 200A (in same photo) and 150A.

For example,

+ 400 Amps 3P A-B-C 2nd Floor
    + 200 A 2P A-B First Floor occupancy
    + 200 A 2P B-C Mystery suspect nightime lighting (indoors/outdoors/parking lot) panel(s) not yet located identified; and/or other common building area system(s) - panel perhaps even AC on the roof for common areas, exterior receptacles, irrigation, signage, etc. - who knows.
    + 150 A 2P C-A other identified first floor panel

does not equal greater than 800A and no where near 950A.

In fact, if I'm not having an old-ager's brain *art: it equates to 750 Amps "A", 800 Amps "B", 750 Amps "C" on secondary Wye supply.

Dollars to donuts your mystery 2P 200 breaker feeder circuit of unknown destination/function is a feeding a panel for lighting outdoors and indoors common areas at nightime, and likely clock, board, sensor/photo cell controlled, find the panel, likely a Lighting & appliance one.

Not fitted to knockout questionable as docs found of that era/vintage (1999 NEC/2000-2001 production) catalogs don't indicate a compatible 2p breaker/frame for 150A, that's something for the qualified party who removes that d/f to check-out and verify legit listed/classified 150 breaker with correct frame rating/compatible.

Here's two resources for your reading/Cont. Ed.: http://www.enm.com/eandm/training/si...anelboards.pdf

http://www.colorado.edu/ceae/classes...oardspaper.pdf

and attached an older, Siemens Sentron Catalog in pdf

The panel mfg date is 2000, this would have needed to have met requirements at that time, including 1999 NEC. The distinctions with differences between lighting and appliance panelboards and power panelboards were dropped in 2008 NEC, so looking back at a 2005 edition or earlier would make things clearer.

There is no main or primary overall panel protection on board this MLO (main lug only) power panelboard.

Suitable for service equipment with a main over current device or when not more than six service disconnects are provided and when not used as a lighting and appliance branch circuit panelboard; Article 384-14 of the National Electrical Code.

Note the quote from your label photo, and the designation of the NEC article (1999 format style).

Although remote Main Overcurrent or sub-feed through protection may be present, for example a fused switch or disconnect line side of this panel, Article 408.36 does provide for exceptions to the rule (see 2005 and prior NEC editions) requiring primary main overcurrent protection for power panel boards. Refer to the complete Article 408.36 and NEC Article 230.71 for additional details.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-18-2011 at 08:04 PM.

The math was to help you understand the title of the post. The apparent overage of the panel rating was the concern of the OP. The question was not about the load on each leg like you are trying to deflect this to HG

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    The math was to help you understand the title of the post. The apparent overage of the panel rating was the concern of the OP. The question was not about the load on each leg like you are trying to deflect this to HG
    I'm not deflecting! You and Bill K are deflecting bringing up non-applicable Lighting and appliance panelboards and Centertapped single phase services/supplies. YOU YOURSELF have demonstrated cross addition of non-stabbed phase buss bars!

The Siemens Sentron panels have vertical buss, NEMA configuration, this is an S4 MLO power panelboard! The OP has indicated this IS Service equipment. It is NOT ME who is confusing THIS 3-Ph 4-wire Wye Secondary POWER PANELBOARD with a Lighting & Appliance panelboard.

This is a 3 phase 4-wire wye secondary panelboard, it is a MLO pannelboard. Yes we DO add, we just don't add 2-pole breakers to a third non-stabbed pole as YOU, Mr. Port, have demonstrated.

There IS no overage of the panel rating, those three breakers, 200A and 150 A are two pole breakers, the other is a 3-pole breaker; There are three true phases not ONE supplying this panel.

This is not a single phase 3-wire service or power panelboard.

You do not add AC to B you do not add BC to A you do not add AB to C. You do add what is on A to what is also on A; what is stabbed to B also to what is stabbed to B and what is stabbed to C to what else is stabbed to C.

Everything stabbed should be on frame rating that is equal to or exceeding the panel rating its MLO, and according to OP nothing ahead.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-18-2011 at 08:21 PM.

H.G.,
    Before you retired, were you in the Consruction business in the Hudson Valley area of NY?

So HG, first you completely ignore the information the OP gives us and try to tell us there is a 400 AMP service disconnect supplying the other breakers, now you are telling us you somehow magically know what phases each of these other breakers is on. (insert denial rant here)

The fact of the matter is that the situation the OP is worried about might exist here is very real and only evaluation by someone who knows how will prove otherwise. In the electrical business assuming and not verifying is what gets people killed. You know absolutely nothing about this installation except what the OP provided and what the label says. (insert outrage and denial rant here) Even though most of these types of panels are ordered and factory assembled from engineered electrical drawings is no proof positive that field modifications haven't been made. The OP made it clear in his post that the breakers in this panel supply other panels as far as he can determine so I'm not sure how you deduce that WE have somehow mistaken this for a lighting panel. Unlike you, I read the panel label and the OPs post prior to answering and deduced that based on this info this was a service panel and that it PROBABLY didn't directly feed any lighting or appliance circuits. I'm also not sure how you determine that we somehow assume that there is a stab type buss in the panel or how it even matters in the discussion at hand. (insert attempt to divert attention to the matter at hand with multiple references to phases A, B, and C and shuffle like playing cards)

I even elected to browse through some of the literature YOU provided and discovered that to no surprise on my part that breakers smaller than 200 AMP for this panel series are referenced/listed in both. It would appear that in your gung ho race to prove that nobody but you knows anything about anything you might at least read through your own documentation first and make sure it agrees with what you say it does. (insert denial rant here)

Naw, as already said, I had difficulty "blowing up" the inserted photo, when I d/l and blew up I realized the cat. number was ML not what I first took it to be, i.e. a MB breaker style indication. I already admitted I goofed on that note.Regarding your assertion that there is any indication of a non-code compliant service, I disagree, there is no such indication at this point.Obviously the OP has not identified all of the electrical equipment, he has admitted this. Obviously one better qualified to do so should be consulted for an on-site review.Your contributions regarding split single phase services, lighting and appliance panel boards and the like have absolutely nothing to do with polyphase service legs, service equipment, overcurrent protection for same, nor the OPs question(s).There is nothing shown to indicate onboard primary protection, that does not indicate it is either required nor that it doesn't exist ahead of this equipment. There is nothing pictured or described to indicate the possibility of a "LOAD" of anything other than a brief one any where near 910 A or exceeding (as the OP suggested) on ANY of the three service legs. You both now have made a critical error in "adding up" the on-board overcurrent protection, the panelboard has straight vertical buss bars, one for each leg, with the "B" phase in the center of the panel board.Of course breakers smaller were available as well as larger, YOU MISS the essential POINT, being NOT ONE equal to 150A. Certainly NOT with a breaker FRAME sufficiently "sized" and/or RATED for THIS equipment as installed as the OP suggests, although it wouldn't surprise me in the least that the OP has missed a switchboard or other ahead, especially having described "separate" occupancies. Try again, Mr. Kreigh, you've missed "the mark" yet again. It is you who are deflecting. The OP's "theory" and Mr. Port's "math" are not supported or correct.

Alas Watson, I tire of the game.

The OP had sufficient information to make an informed decision before you got involved and nothing you have contributed has changed that. The fact that outside service disconnects are required in some jurisdictions and by some POCOs adds nothing relevant as service disconnects aren't required to have overcurrent protection in all cases. Again, answers provided based on information provided.

At least some of us are aware of what "the mark" actually is.

No, it is you who have missed the mark on many levels.Suggest you re-read the OP and your first response.There is NO indication of 950 or anything over 800A of overcurrent protection devices on ANY leg of the pictured panel.IT IS NOT NECESSARY to perform ANY LOAD calculations to address the actual false leaps and false math both the OP and Mr. Port have performed, NOR the OP's conclusionary QUESTION, nor the "issue" the OP has raised.Unlike YOU, who have now piggybacked upon information I addressed and supplied, I have indicated the location of the exceptions which may provide for no singluar or dual on-board or ahead main OC protection.The adequacy of the frame rating and legal/legitimate listed/classified use of the on-board 2p 150A breaker is questioned. This is a 800A (>600A) panel S4 (P4). THAT, and the failure of the OP to locate the equipment, and the QUALIFICATIONS and TRAINING (as well as PPE) necessary to OPEN and examine the panel is the sufficient consultation with a qualified electrican, for commercial/industrial "inspection" Load Calculations, Power Factor, etc. are other topics entirely and have nothing to do with the OP.

I think I have finally seen that the statement even a blind squirrel can find a nut is not true. The OP was concerned that the panel appeared overloaded based on the improper method of adding up the breaker handle ratings instead of a load calculation or taking amperage readings. Why is that so hard to see?

The Op did not ask about the silver plated copper buss, where the B phase was located, what the approximate load was on each leg or any of the other drivel that someone has tried to interject into this discussion.

PS some are stilll awaiting proof about those receptacles in the side of a cabinet. Good luck in the unicorn hunt.

Mr. Port,

The OP's question has NOTHING to do with load calculations it has everything to do with disconnects/overcurrent protection of the service equipment in the event of a short circuit.

The Panel is NOT "overloaded" with CBs.
    The total does NOT equate to 950 A.
    The OP's question was "is this too many amps" relating to the number and type of disconnects (less than six) of the SERVICE EQUIPMENT.
    The Title was Re: "800 Amp Service Panel / 950 Amp in disconnects" for goodness sake.

There was NOT 950 Amp in disconnects!!

The Total present as photographed and described was 750-800 Amps Max value of disconnects/overcurrent protection per PHASE/BUSS.

The "issue" is that both YOU and the OP, GOOFED with your "creative math".

Off topic:

Regarding your continuing "stalking" and cross posting: PROVE you were allowed (THEN) to mount a receptacle THROUGH a free standing side wall of an exposed "floating" BASE CABINET. Do it on the appropriate topic thread.

You've cross posted what, half a dozen times.

Back to the Topic HERE:

YOUR MATH IS IGNORANT and WRONG (BOTH TIMES).

3 Ph 4-wire Wye secondary Main Lug Only SERVICE panels.

Obuscate and side track all you want, a LOAD Calc is NOT NECESSARY to ANSWER or address the Original Poster's ORIGINAL POSTED QUESTION on THIS topic - The question in the Original Post has NOTHING to do with "Load Calculations" that's a completely different subject; I know that's what you want to hide behind, but then again, it has NOTHING to DO with the OP's actual presumption or questions.

Mr. K's response at post 7 to the OP's followup at post 6 is flat out wrong as pertains to the Original Question (e.g. in context) to the MLO service equipment panel as pesented and rating label pictured by the OP. There is NO way, and I don't care if you have a thousand motors load side on a rotating starting sequence, load diversity bull crap, that you are allowed to have more than 800 amps "worth" of service disconnects on any phase buss bar on THIS 800 A max rated Siemens Sentron S4 MLO service panel or for that matter your load can be as "diverse" as the wind, there cannot be more than six disconnects TOTAL, either. The OP is not a "load" question, you've just tried to make it one.

This is a 1999 Ed. NEC Service Panel. 2000 UL White Book.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-19-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Off topic:

Regarding your continuing "stalking" and cross posting: PROVE you were allowed (THEN) to mount a receptacle THROUGH a free standing side wall of an exposed "floating" BASE CABINET. Do it on the appropriate topic thread.

You've cross posted what, half a dozen times.
    H. G.,

Along with other declarations you have made, been shown you were wrong, yet have not provided any evidence to the contrary, that question, along with one of two other questions, keep being asked of YOU because YOU declared such WAS NOT ALLOWED and we (many of us) have asked YOU to show US supporting documentation to prove what YOU said - and YOU have not provided that information.

Asking those questions again and again is not "stalking", it is simply trying to get YOU to admit when you make a mistake, and admitting that is something you seem to not be able to do. Instead, you get mad, ignore the reality of the question, and than (as you are now) rant that you are being stalked because you will not back up what you incorrectly stated.

You need to get off you high horse, clean the poop out of your pants, stand back up and regain a dignified composure ... wait, I know, I will be asked how can you "regain" something which you did not have to start with ... sigh.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Peck,

On Topic: Nope not wrong, not shown to be wrong, quite the contrary, have shown others to be wrong.

Off Topic: Nope, not wrong, no one has shown to be wrong, quite the contrary. Flamable thin, non-building surface flamable sidewall, not allowed through. surface mounted (inside or outside) box and receptacle therein, not allowed mounted through the sidewall of same, in the vintage previously discussed. Issue was expressly dealt with at the time. Side wall of wood peninsular base cabinet not face frame, not mounted IN or on an actual building structure was not allowed. The "other" topical string refers to CHICAGO, Cook County, Illinois, where Mr. Thomas hails from. None of you stalking, harassing, cross-posters, dare to bother to address that fact, or do so on the actual topic discussion, but instead engage in cross-posting b.s.

Get off your own "horse" and clean up your own insultive, unprofessional, vulgar, anti-social, "holier than thou", "Mr. Poopy Pants" act. You haven't proven or shown a darn thing. Been covered before and you've reversed yourself numerous times babbling and cut-and-pasting in circles. Both subjects and the "other" location's distinctions are beyond your "abilities" or understanding.

Easy does it boys.
    We don't want to bury another Gunslinger next to
    AD Miller up there on Boot (off) Hill.

Flamable thin, non-building surface flamable sidewall, not allowed through. surface mounted (inside or outside) box and receptacle therein, not allowed mounted through the sidewall of same, in the vintage previously discussed. Issue was expressly dealt with at the time. Side wall of wood peninsular base cabinet not face frame, not mounted IN or on an actual building structure was not allowed.
    Okay, at least I am making progress with you: you have commented on that receptacle outlet again and stated that it is "not allowed". "not allowed", and "not allowed" THREE TIME in the above quote, so ...

PROVIDE THE CODE REFERENCE WHICH STATES THAT IS "not allowed".

Jeez, sometimes, H. G., you make it so easy to get you to recommit yourself to a falsehood which you have been trying to ignore, but, here it is again for all to see: now you just need to provide the code section to back up your "not allowed" statement.

Thank you for taking that hook, line, and sinker.

Now, the code section please.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It was already addressed to the original poster on the original topic back in CHICAGO.

It was already addressed to the original poster on the original topic back in CHICAGO.
    So there is no reason NOT TO share it with all of us ... we are STILL WAITING for the documentation which supports your statement (even though we all know that there is no documentation which supports your statement - you take pleasure in trying to make people look bad, so here is a big target for you, yet you don't take it, which leaves us all with the 'that must be because H. G. Watson, Sr. is wrong yet again, too bad he cannot admit it).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Norm Grande Guest

My simple answer as an electrician....this is not a concern, as the load calculations we do when wiring a building have a derating component. I would have no concerns about this, but if you want more info, ask about the load calculations that are a requirement for the electrical permit when built. If not available, an electrical contractor can do one for you if there is a concern. To me there are no "red flags" here.
    Norm

Guy W Opie Guest

Norm is correct that there no red flags here. I also would go back to the orginal permit and look at he submitted load calculation and also see if there has been another permoits issued, that might have changed the load calculations. The other is the load balanced between the phases.

Exactly, agree completely with two immediatly prior posters, there is no "950 Amp in Disconnects" and No red flags here - there are 750A-800A-750A on poles ABC respectively Disconnects in "800A" rated equipment.

However, I throw an orange flag on the specifically photographed 150A 2P as questionable listed or classified compatible equipment for THIS described as installed MLO cat. no., vintage (mfg date), etc, in re: frame rating, etc..

Wow. Been so busy lately..... was excited to get on this site again, especially when I read this OP's question- up my alley for sure, buttt same ol
    sh1t.
    H.G., U bring this on yourself, and the rest of U just make it worse by sparring with him.
    If you don't like how H.G. communicates....... don't reply. Simple.