William McDonald Guest

Default What are these and are they O.K.?

Question for a newbie HI. What are these called and are they O.K.? The house is a 2003 build in Webster, Texas. My gut says they are not o.k. but I have not found code to support me. What do you say?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by William McDonald; 05-03-2007 at 08:41 AM.
    Member Benefits1

Mike Huppi Guest

Default Re: What are these and are they O.K.?

I would recommend a SE I dont think that the person who designed the plans included legos or lincoln logs for blocking and filler.

David Banks Guest

Decorative shim. It looks so pretty you may believe it belongs there.

Cool Re: What are these and are they O.K.?

Hi William
    I'd call those "goof pads."

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Bob Stark Guest

yup... goof pads works for me. I am new to the profession as well, but have some experience in the trades, and I can tell you: I have NEVER run across those odd looking blocks. As for code, I am no help to you in that regard. But I'll bet there are a ton of people on this site that can help, AND actually know what they're talking about. Some even recite code verbatim in various areas. A virtual plethora of information. Joining this site is the best thing I've done in a while !!!!

Good luck!
    Bob

Richard Rushing Guest

I see them quite frequently around here on new construction. The first few I ran across I questioned and asked to see the plans. guess what... these were on the building plans.

Now, I'm not saying yours are... but my experience has been that these are part of the designed support structure.

Rich

Last edited by Richard Rushing; 05-04-2007 at 04:26 AM. Reason: speelen

They do serve a purpose but those in the photos are the worst I have ever seen!

Their intended purpose is to "gather" all of the ends of the hip rafters and the ridge to provide some support from below using the one vertical support that would not otherwise engage all of the pieces.

Richard Rushing Guest

I agree that the second and third picture show the blocks to be at an angle (or it appears to be)-- looks like the blocks slid to one side and the framer just nailed anyway.

RR

What I see in all of them are mis-matched connection points where that piece does more harm than good.

In the first photo, one vertical 2x4 with a 'T' or 'L' brace supports the bottom of the 'thingy' (technical termy), which then *only* supports the bottom of a cut down 2x shim stood on its side.

Just a little movement and that shim standing on its side will act like Fido, play dead and roll over.

That 'thingy' does absolutely nothing except create another hinge point

In the second photo, the vertical support is off center of the 'thingy', with the load above offset from the support below, and the grain of the 'thingy' is running parallel with the load above. The load above could easily shear the grain of the 'thingy', thereby leaving a space, which, hopefully, would be filled with special 'structural air' and not 'regular air'.

In the second photo, the 'thingy' further back, you can see the vertical support, the 'thingy' and the load above ... there is no reason for the 'thingy' there.

The third photo looks like the first 'thingy' in the second photo, waiting to be sheared through its grain due to the support and load being offset from each other.

While they may be used in Texas, I concur with West Coast Jerry: "I'd call those "goof pads." ", or, at the very least "goofed up pads".

Or maybe simply "goofy pads".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    What I see in all of them are mis-matched connection points where that piece does more harm than good...

...While they may be used in Texas, I concur with West Coast Jerry: "I'd call those "goof pads." ", or, at the very least "goofed up pads".

Or maybe simply "goofy pads".
    All right now!

You east and west coast flavors of Jerry shouln't be messin with Texas here on the "third coast"!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Stojanik View Post
    Their intended purpose is to "gather" all of the ends of the hip rafters and the ridge to provide some support from below using the one vertical support that would not otherwise engage all of the pieces.
    I understand the "purpose" of those as you stated above, as (I am sure) West Coast Jerry does, BUT ...

... jus' 'cause Texas is larger than most countries ... does not mean that the laws physics and gravitational forces change there.

May The Force be with you.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com