Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ron Bibler Guest

Default Your best real estate agent request?

The buyer found me off my web-site and we set up the inspection.

Then the agent calls me later that day... Now Ron hes a young first time buyer and we known that we have some damage to the siding so lets not scare them off...

Whats your best real estate agent request...

Best

Ron

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Ron Bibler; 03-16-2011 at 12:38 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Your best real estate agent request?

"Why did you have to say there are 30+ nail pops on the roof in your report? You're part of the home buying process. These buyers are really nice people and may not get the house if the lender sees this report. Can you change the wording in the report?"

Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 03-16-2011 at 06:34 AM.
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Doug Haglund Guest

This home has been on the market for 14months we need to move it, would you please go easy on this Inspection. My response was, I can't believed you asked that, NO!!! I will report what I see now & always. Funny agent.

[QUOTE=Ron Bibler;
    What your best real estate agent request...

Best

Ron[/QUOTE]

These buyers are 1st time buyers, the seller did not give us a disclosure, if there is anything wrong with the home make sure you find and disclose it..

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Agents request, "After you point something out during the inspection I'll fix it then you can check out the repair before you leave."

He had brought his tool bag and bag of spare parts and proceeded to "fix" reverse polarity outlets, install cover plates etc, as I pointed them out. I've had a ton of agents ask me to change a report, but only one who attempted to repair the home while I was there.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

The agent said "Dan, we only want to know about the items over $500.00" the buyers were standing there with a funny look on their face. When the agent walked away I told them I would tell them everything I see. They said "Thank you"

You would think the agent was paying for the inspection!

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

My favorite was "is the roof leaking so badly that you need to put it in the report?"

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

"Is there anyway you can make up two reports? One with all the problems on it for the buyer and another for the bank?" - No joke..... I was actually asked this

As I'm talking to the buyer and agent butts in and exclaims, "The bank is not going to fix that so we really don't need to know about it." ????????

mathew stouffer Guest

Matt I have been asked that one about ten times.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    "Is there anyway you can make up two reports? One with all the problems on it for the buyer and another for the bank?" -
    Of course your answer was 'Sorry, I don't commit fraud' right?

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Haglund View Post
    This home has been on the market for 14months we need to move it, would you please go easy on this Inspection. My response was, I can't believed you asked that, NO!!! I will report what I see now & always. Funny agent.
    Maybe she meant to walk softly so you wouldn't fall through the termite riddled floors, reason it has been on market for 14 months. Just thinking of your saftey, how considerate.

"There's nothing to see up there. It's all been renovated".

"We don't need to talk about that. The seller's going to take care of it."

"We've checked the strata council minutes, and there are no leaks anywhere". See the pic below.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

A few come to mind, hard to pick the best.
    1. Can you take it easy on this house because I want to buy a new boat and really need this commission.
    2. Can you charge them (the clients) $50 more and give it to me as a referral perk?
    3. I need you to kill this sale because I have another buyer that is willing to pay full price.
    4. You're not going to find much on this house. The builder goes to church with my hairdresser.

Whats your best real estate agent request...

"Charge these folks out the ass cause they are from California and if they are not paying a fortune they'll think you're not doing your job."

"Any chance you can bring me some coffee to the inspection, I'm running late"

" Does this SUV make my ass look big?"

" Can you bill the title company, I'm pretty sure it will close if you don't kill the deal?"

"Can you bring me a hard copy of the report. I live in Ft. Worth!" (an hour and half drive away from me) Uhhh... NO

REA and client watching me take many pix on this EIFS house

REA: What is that?

Me: Mud tubes

REA: Can't we just wash them off?

Me: Yes, Ma'am, but these pesky white ants will just rebuild them and continue to eat the house.

Client to REA: Let's go inside and talk about this and the home inspection and Termite inspection I paid "your guys" for yesterday. Here's your check, Barry, I'll call you.

Client was on the fence about the EIFS, bugs sealed the deal...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by BARRY ADAIR; 03-18-2011 at 04:05 AM.
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Smile Re: Your best real estate agent request?

Just yesterday...

"all we needed was a contractors letter from you saying there was no ongoing moisture issue beneath the home! All the stuff in the report - which was very nice btw - about loose and hanging installation is just gong to make the underwriters crazy! Can you not report that?"

Ooops... :-)

We know why you fly: because the bus is too expensive and the railroad has a dress code...
    www.atozinspector.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gault View Post
    "all we needed was a contractors letter from you saying there was no ongoing moisture issue beneath the home! All the stuff in the report - which was very nice btw - about loose and hanging installation is just gong to make the underwriters crazy! Can you not report that?"
    Yeah, nothing makes an underwriter go crazy like hanging installation.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Most frequent if not constant: "Can you write a letter saying the repairs are structurallly sound? You are a licensed contractor, after all."
    "No, I am a contractor as well as an inspector. I am not a licensed engineer."

jlmathis

Bill Barnes Guest

Cool Re: Your best real estate agent request?

We get this one alot these days:

Can you do this inspection for half price, these buyers don't have any money and they'll need all they do have to fix anything you find?

Or: Can you write a letter to the mortgage compnay that says the mold you found is not a problem?

Jerry DiGiovanni
    Las Vegas Inspector

Do not post much but had to on this one.
    While inspecting a home for my nephew found an addition that was built no permits. The agent called me an said if I do not take it out of the report the loan won't go thru. I said time to start loking for another house.

gene schafer Guest

"The truth will set you free" You falsify the report and you may end up in court or you may be inspected by Holmes on homes, ( HDTV)

Vince Santos Guest

These from REA

"You should stop putting pictures in your report because it makes the report seem negative."

"Can you give me a referral fee for each inspection?"

"Are you a deal killer?"

"I've been working with these people for a long time so please take it easy."

"MY inspectors never take more than an hour or so."

I could go on and on.

Joe Richmond Guest

'The house has just been renovated, so you shouldn't find anything'

Sam Sloane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    1. Can you take it easy on this house because I want to buy a new boat and really need this commission.
    2. Can you charge them (the clients) $50 more and give it to me as a referral perk?
    3. I need you to kill this sale because I have another buyer that is willing to pay full price.
    4. You're not going to find much on this house. The builder goes to church with my hairdresser.
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry on these...

Mark Mustola Guest

"This is the builders own House, you won't find anything wrong"

"My client's are young first time buyers so don't scare them"

"I'm paying the inspection fee for my client so can you give me a discount"

This is my favorite. After not seeing an agent for a year and they what something they will say " You are the best inspector and the only one I ever refer

"FHA requires you to sign a 5 year certificate on the life expectancy of the roof and that it will last at least 5 years "

"FHA requires......"

FHA gets blamed for a lot of "requirements"

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

REA - "A roofer made repairs to the roof. Could you write a letter syaing that everything has been fixed?"

ME - "I'll need to reinspect the roof to verify repairs have been made if I'm going to put anything in writing. I would have to charge a reinspection fee."

REA - "Oh........I'll get back to you".

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I heard yesterday, "You won't find nothing wrong at this home cause the owner is a Engineer."

Later that day while go over numerous defects found the agent says,
    "Well everything sounds like typical stuff for a home this age, lets move forward and set up the closing date."

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    REA - "A roofer made repairs to the roof. Could you write a letter saying that everything has been fixed?"

ME - "I'll need to reinspect the roof to verify repairs have been made if I'm going to put anything in writing. I would have to charge a reinspection fee."

REA - "Oh........I'll get back to you".
    I've seen some of your roof pics, complete with "repairs". Good call.

Would a realtor ever throw you under a bus? Well, speaking of reinspections, I went back, for free to help a nice guy, out-of-town client, to see if a roof repair had been done. Roof was OK, but the loose toilet was still not fixed. The seller watches me check the loose toilet. 3 weeks later, both realtors had teamed up, accusing me of causing the toilet to leak by shoving the toilet around with my knee. "He saw you do it". My nice guy client just laughed it off.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ron Bibler Guest

New buyer calls me up and ask if i would send a bill for $300.00 to escrow for the termite inspections. I said that the REO Bank paid me in full. Then he says his agent told him that his new bank loan had $ 300.00 sitting in escrow to cover the cost of inspection. So if i would bill the new bank loan in escrow for $ 300.00 then i could give him the money.

Agents no how to cover all the angles...

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    New buyer calls me up and ask if i would send a bill for $300.00 to escrow for the termite inspections. I said that the REO Bank paid me in full. Then he says his agent told him that his new bank loan had $ 300.00 sitting in escrow to cover the cost of inspection. So if i would bill the new bank loan in escrow for $ 300.00 then i could give him the money.

Agents no how to cover all the angles...

Best

Ron
    You always kill me when you quote prices on termite inspections.

300.00, for a termite inspection. I bet every termite inspector in the country would love to get 300 for a termite inspection.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    You always kill me when you quote prices on termite inspections.

300.00, for a termite inspection. I bet every termite inspector in the country would love to get 300 for a termite inspection.
    Other parts of the country should up there standards . Some parts of the country only fill out a 1 page HUD-NPCA-99-A.

The North San Francisco Bay cost of living is a bit more then any other area.

Then add our standards for a Termite inspection. 20 plus pages.
    Very close to a home inspection.

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

Other parts of the country should up there standards . Some parts of the country only fill out a 1 page HUD-NPCA-99-A.

Then add our standards for a Termite inspection. 20 plus pages.
    Very close to a home inspection.

Best

Ron
    Do you have a blank copy of that report. Or a PDF to send this way. I would love to all of what they want you to fill out for 20 pages worth. It sounds more like the pest control industry lobbied the standards and report size so they could charge 300

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Do you have a blank copy of that report. Or a PDF to send this way. I would love to all of what they want you to fill out for 20 pages worth. It sounds more like the pest control industry lobbied the standards and report size so they could charge 300
    Hey Ted i sent you an email.

Best

Ron

A friend of mine recently got offered a transfer from Oregon to San Fran and it included almost doubling his pay.... after looking at the price of houses he turned it down. Even for twice the money he couldn't make it work

And things are none to cheap around here, either. I think our house prices are (or were a couple years ago) about twice some parts of the midwest. The regional changes are pretty amazing...

I had a disagreement with this same agent before for the same thing. Plus, she wanted to tell me how long to take on an inspection and that I was to start an hour before "She" got there.

REA: "So, you're going to email the report to me so I can go over it before you send it to the buyer, right?"

Answer: "Uh, NO!"

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Lisa Turner Guest

Client says "While you're there for the inspection, please measure all the rooms for me, and all the appliances so I know what to buy."

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Turner View Post
    Client says "While you're there for the inspection, please measure all the rooms for me, and all the appliances so I know what to buy."
    I've done that but for a $200 fee

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Lisa Turner Guest

Good idea. Actually I did do the measuring for them - and they wrote a great review on Angie's List.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I'm at a loss for words....Really?

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Leigh Goodman Guest

Someone on this forum suggested a comeback line when the agent says
    don't report this or that. " Give me a list of everything you don't want them to know"

Ron Bibler Guest

The Agent says this Toilet leak is to much information

I don't want that Infrared Camera on any of my inspection.

Best

Ron

The Agent says this Toilet leak is to much information

I don't want that Infrared Camera on any of my inspection.

Best

Ron
    Good pix Ron!
    I had an agent tell me the other day that one of my HI competitors told here that the "guys with the IR cameras don't even know what they are looking at".
    Needless to say, he doesn't have one!

After smelling a pretty strong gas leakage in the kitchen, I opened all the doors and working windows and made my way out into the adjoining attached garage where the house furnace happened to be located. The agent followed. The furnace was in real bad shape and had been red tagged by the local utilility co. I pointed the tag out to the agent, told her the supply and power had been disconnected for obvious safety considerations and could not be inspected. She said, " Well, can't you just turn it on for a few minutes and say it was working when you inspected it so we can claim a repair under the home warranty?"

"Uh, No", I replied, "Aside from the red tag, didn't you smell the gas? "Just a little." she said, "But I can stand on the sidewalk while you turn it on."

Very considerate.

ip

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

And from the other side of the ledger, I did a job for $300.00. I agreed to be paid at closing. I got a check for $700.00. When I queried the agent, she said the closing statement didn't balance. The lawyer had to disburse. He asked her what to do and she said "Give it to the inspector." Buyer agreed. JL was very happy. True story. I didn't ask questions.

JLMathis

Agent: I need you to drop me off a printed copy of the report.
    Me: Don't you have email, I can email it and you can print it.
    Agent: Yes, but I don't want to use up all my ink, it's expensive.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Agent: I need you to drop me off a printed copy of the report.
    Me: Don't you have email, I can email it and you can print it.
    Agent: Yes, but I don't want to use up all my ink, it's expensive.
    I have been seeing more and more of this. for the last 6years or so I only did email for my reports. But now the agents are looking at ways to cut office cost. And these 50 page reports are a nice place to start.

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post
    And from the other side of the ledger, I did a job for $300.00. I agreed to be paid at closing. I got a check for $700.00. When I queried the agent, she said the closing statement didn't balance. The lawyer had to disburse. He asked her what to do and she said "Give it to the inspector." Buyer agreed. JL was very happy. True story. I didn't ask questions.

JLMathis
    Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post

JLMathis
    Great for you, but what a lame excuse for a Lawyer.
    That $ 400 came out of somebody's pocket. Something like finding it on the ground and not asking the person that dropped it if they really wanted it back.
    Ethics??? Morals???

Not picking on you for not making an issue of it. General comment on where society has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Great for you, but what a lame excuse for a Lawyer.
    That $ 400 came out of somebody's pocket. Something like finding it on the ground and not asking the person that dropped it if they really wanted it back.
    Ethics??? Morals???

Not picking on you for not making an issue of it. General comment on where society has gone.
    ooh, I didn't think about that. Shame on me.

David Argabright Guest

Recently had an agent tell me how she had tried to talk the young buyers out of buying the POS house but they had their "rose colored glasses" on. She said to make sure I reported on every single thing (like I don't anyway) no matter how small. I did my normal inspection, explained the problems, and did another inspection for them two weeks later. The first house was a POS, the second was much better. The agent is one I've worked with for years and have a high regard for. It's much more common to hear the former comments. :-(

chris gallo Guest

I am a newer inspector and after reading this thread I feel better. My last inspection the agent came downstairs when the buyer wasn't near to remind that she handed them my card and got me the assignment. All this while the look in her yes said she wanted to kill me. The home had multiple areas of water intrusion and the inspection took place during a major rain storm and the buyer had some anxiety already when he showed up to begin with. He was with me for the majority of the inspection and the wet basement was the final nail in deal for him. In the attic the chimney chase mortar was so saturated that you could pluck your finger right through.It was like oat meal and leaking rain water into the attic.
    Long story short, they did not want to buy the home and thanked me for not hiding deficiencies and damages. They said they want me to do the next inspection for them when they find another home. The agent on the other hand will not be recommending me I am sure.

gene schafer Guest

Chris,
    You did the right thing. When you lie about conditions as a home inspector then you don't have the right to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by chris gallo View Post
    My last inspection the agent came downstairs when the buyer wasn't near to remind that she handed them my card and got me the assignment. All this while the look in her yes said she wanted to kill me.
    That realtor needs to get her head out of her ass. You didn't make the house leak. Sounds like she wanted a sales assistant more than a home inspection.

Screw the agent. They're a dime per thousand. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is that you served your clients well. They were happy and want you back. Make sure they have your contact info. A referral from them is invaluable.

Stu, Fredericksburg VA

chris gallo Guest

The buyer had told her he did not want to buy the home any longer and she just stared at him and then tried to get him to proceed with the purchase. When she left he said to me he couldn't believe she was representing him and wanted him to buy a home that he just did not want anymore. At one point he asked me whom was my client. I told him he was. He was relieved.

chris gallo Guest

Five years ago I bought my home and at the time of inspection I thought the home was fully heated. It turned out the registers were for the cac unit in the attic.
    The boiler in the basement serves 70% of the home. The inspector never told us of this deficiency. He was angry that he was there more than three hours, took my check for 450 and left in a huff.He maybe spoke two sentences to us and gave the report to the "agent".
    I have never forgotten that day.

Long story short, they did not want to buy the home and thanked me for not hiding deficiencies and damages. They said they want me to do the next inspection for them when they find another home. The agent on the other hand will not be recommending me I am sure.
    Chris,

That agent will probably never recommend you as an inspector on any more of her sales but don't be surprised if she calls you to inspect a house that her daughter (or other family member) is buying.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    Chris,

That agent will probably never recommend you as an inspector on any more of her sales but don't be surprised if she calls you to inspect a house that her daughter (or other family member) is buying.

Or if she gets a client that is an attorney...

That has happened to me a few times.

Best

Ron

The buyer had told her he did not want to buy the home any longer and she just stared at him and then tried to get him to proceed with the purchase. When she left he said to me he couldn't believe she was representing him and wanted him to buy a home that he just did not want anymore. At one point he asked me whom was my client. I told him he was. He was relieved.

Next time you see her, tell her, "You're welcome that I found those issues and your fully, informed client chose not to buy that home unaware. I just protected you from a lawsuit."

Hopefully your client will find a better agent next time.

Eric Shuman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I've seen some of your roof pics, complete with "repairs". Good call.

Would a realtor ever throw you under a bus? Well, speaking of reinspections, I went back, for free to help a nice guy, out-of-town client, to see if a roof repair had been done. Roof was OK, but the loose toilet was still not fixed. The seller watches me check the loose toilet. 3 weeks later, both realtors had teamed up, accusing me of causing the toilet to leak by shoving the toilet around with my knee. "He saw you do it". My nice guy client just laughed it off.
    Yeah John, I had that happen to me once. My current standard verbiage for loose toilets states that "loose toilets are typically an issue with the wax ring or flange and require toilet removal to repair. Just tightening the bolts will not repair the issue."

As far as agent comments, Seller shows up an hour into my inspection on a 3500 sq foot older home and says "Oh, you're still here? My (listing) agent said this would only take 45 minutes to an hour. Do you mind if we stay here for the rest of the inspection?" She had 5 kids in tow ranging from 2 -10 years old running around the house like banshees.

Had to call the buyers agent to contact the listing agent to get everyone out of the house so I could finish. By the time I got off the phone the little rug rats had pulled my tool bag off of the counter, the mom opened up about six windows and had turned off the A/C and oven that I had been operating for temp checks and was asking me if I was going to have to go into every room because it was nap time for several of the kids.

Last edited by Eric Shuman; 03-25-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Eric Shuman Guest

I am a newer inspector and after reading this thread I feel better. My last inspection the agent came downstairs when the buyer wasn't near to remind that she handed them my card and got me the assignment. All this while the look in her yes said she wanted to kill me. The home had multiple areas of water intrusion and the inspection took place during a major rain storm and the buyer had some anxiety already when he showed up to begin with. He was with me for the majority of the inspection and the wet basement was the final nail in deal for him. In the attic the chimney chase mortar was so saturated that you could pluck your finger right through.It was like oat meal and leaking rain water into the attic.
    You did the right thing and you will likely find as I have that you will get far more referrals from that client than you ever will from that agent. See, honesty is the best policy!

. The agent on the other hand will not be recommending me I am sure.
    Don't sweat it. We've all been through it. You'll probably last a lot longer than the agent will. Remember, for every home inspector there are probably 20-30 realtors. Some understand long term relationships, and some don't.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Vince Santos Guest

Doing a solid inspection is a win win. Not only will your clients appreciate the thorough job but you will attract agents that appreciate the same.

Ted Menelly Guest

I am getting calls lately that Realtors are saying that a past client picked me and they loved the inspection and report. For some Realtors it is sinking in that the client being happy is what it is all about. Several in the past couple months that I never heard from before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast