Default strange structural repairs

This was supposedly done with the ok of an engineer. I've never seen anything quite like it.
    Many joist ends damaged by termite activity.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: strange structural repairs

Here's another example of this guy's fine work.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Interesting.. the cross bracing I could see as plausible in certain conditions (just seems reasonable; I have no engineering background), but I would think it would be for a single bad joist and would have bracing on both sides.

Are those drywall screws used as structural connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by TR Platt View Post

Are those drywall screws used as structural connectors?
    I guess they could be deck screws. Since I called the whole deal into question, it doesn't really matter, in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    This was supposedly done with the ok of an engineer. I've never seen anything quite like it.
    Many joist ends damaged by termite activity.
    Are those 2x12 or 2x14 rough joists sistered with 2x8 nominal joists? What was the clear span of the joists?

There are a few unknowns here, such as the existence and extent of the wdo activity and damage before the repair was made and what condition the repair was trying to correct. The repair seems sketchy to me as well, perhaps an inquiry with the engineer of record is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Walker View Post
    Are those 2x12 or 2x14 rough joists sistered with 2x8 nominal joists? ....
    Something like that. I wrote them up as undersized.
    The whole deal was a mess. Untreated wood 2X4 and 4X4 posts sitting on ancient, thin, concrete floor. 4X4 beams not secured to joists. Etc., etc.